Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

Water Lady

wonder if anyone has trimmed just the sides, I have the Divine tarot with name and number top and bottom and I don't want to cut that off, there is a bit I could trim but looking at a lot of work and wonder if it is worth it??

donnalee

Just took scissors and a corner rounder to the Earth Power Oracle. The phrases on the cards were just too full of fluff for me (one card used the term "flowfulness"). I used a gold Sharpie oil-based paint pen to put page numbers on the back of the cards so I could identify them in the booklet. I figure I can google the sites for information and come up with my own meanings.

They look great. Rant: Flowfulness...???! It's like people forget the words that already exist work fine, like 'flow' in this case, or 'signs' as opposed to 'signage' etc. I don't get it.

donnalee

I thought I would post pics of my de-bordered, de-titled Golden:

Wow, so different. It looks like a lot of work for you, but I hope you are happy with the result!

FLizarraga

Wow, so different. It looks like a lot of work for you, but I hope you are happy with the result!

I loved the original gold edges, but the borders were a bit too big for me. So I did this AND gilded the new edges.

It's not that much work, if you think about it. It is only in the sense that I like to do it all in one sitting. A couple of hours, and you have a brand new deck... :)

Myrrha

I thought I would post pics of my de-bordered, de-titled Golden:

That is really lovely. Much more intimate looking deck now, and more mysterious without the titles.

FLizarraga

That is really lovely. Much more intimate looking deck now, and more mysterious without the titles.

Thank you, S! That's so perceptive of you. I find "intimate" is the right way to describe it... :)

cpriestess

Witches Tarot: Ellen Dugan

Just started trimming my Witches Tarot. It is well-used now so thought I would take the knife to it. I left the titles on the bottom and cut the tops and the sides. I love it so far!!! :) Will try to post some pics soon :)

cpriestess

Okay, just finished. It looks super!!!! The black borders are not bad at all, but as I use this deck so much, and it is getting worn out thought it would be okay to experiment. I love it trimmed way more than the black borders. I will try to post pics soon so you all can see my handy work. :) I used a scissors and a Kadomaru Pro corner rounder (love this corner rounder! Has three different corner sizes and easy on hands - bought on Amazon for a reasonable price a few months back). I hope to get a guillotine cutter soon, but so far doing well with scissors. :)

kalliope

OK I have a few decks that have white borders and rounded edges AND the inside image ALREADY has rounded corners. SO suggestions on just trimming around the outer edge of the inside image that is ALREADY rounded? I know there are so many posts and this is likely in several places, but I am having trouble locating what to do if you are trimming a deck that has the inside image already rounded. To be honest, the rounder worries me more than the trimming. Is an exacto knife best? I may just wind up taking to a printer...

I'd do as the others have suggested: just trim the four sides as normal, and then use a corner rounder to redo the corners, picking a rounder that is close in size to the original rounded corners of the image (most likely 3mm or 5mm). I would NOT fuss with using an exacto knife, there's no need for that. You'd drive yourself crazy.

As long as you don't choose a rounder much smaller than the inner image corners, you'll successfully chop off any remaining border at the corners after the trim. And as long as you don't use a rounder much larger than the original corners, you won't lose much (or any) additional image, either.