Trimmed druidcraft, anyone?

OctoberGwen

Carla said:
Maybe someday, I'll whack them right back to just the image with no borders.

I trimmed mine to the borders and I think they are absolutely gorgeous. I think the greenish stone really sets off the art, and I like the title font very much, too. I definitely wouldn't go all the way to the image, despite being a big borderless fan.

Like almost everyone who has done this, I'm stunned by how much better they look and handle. It's night and day, seriously. The giant white second borders detracted SO much from these cards.

I also feel instantly bonded with the deck after spending so much time and care trimming them. It's really interesting! I haven't even read with them yet but I'm very much looking forward to it; I already feel like it's "my" deck. (First trim job for me.)

Carla

OctoberGwen, I just did two Magic Cauldron readings for two different friends using my new (and newly trimmed) Druidcraft and the readings were amazing. I love it.

I am finding that with the titles left on, I still can't quite get a good enough hold on the cards to do a proper riffle shuffle. I Don't want to cut the borders and titles off entirely at this point though. I like them this way, with the green and the words on. I like the font. :)

OctoberGwen

Carla said:
OctoberGwen, I just did two Magic Cauldron readings for two different friends using my new (and newly trimmed) Druidcraft and the readings were amazing. I love it.
Fantastic! :D I'll have to check out that spread. Is it here somewhere, or in the book?

Carla said:
I am finding that with the titles left on, I still can't quite get a good enough hold on the cards to do a proper riffle shuffle. I Don't want to cut the borders and titles off entirely at this point though. I like them this way, with the green and the words on. I like the font. :)
Ah, that makes sense. They work well for a sift shuffle (if you know what I mean), but I can see how they'd still be too big for a riffle. Are your edges rough at all? I think my photo trimmer blade was getting a bit dull by the end and there's a certain slight roughness to some of the edges. It doesn't bother me, but I can see it maybe making certain shuffles...interesting. :D I literally couldn't even hold the cards properly out of the box, never mind shuffle them.

Funny how my giant MAAT doesn't bother me the same way; must be the square (rather than oblong) shape in that case.

Carla

I think I found it online, but I saw it here in a Halloween spread thread as well. I will PM it to you.

morticia monroe

I trimmed this deck about two weeks ago, down to the titles and stone border.

What a HUGE difference! Even though the cards themselves are now smaller, the images seem larger. It's wonderful! The eye is immediately drawn into the card and my readings are so much more fluid.

I have always loved the Druidcraft, but trimming the deck took it from being a beautiful deck to own and admire to a deck that I actually reach for when ready to read.

makani

Whoo-Hoooooo! I just started trimming my DruidCraft and this is the most fun I've had in years! (Yes. I know. I need to get out more often) :D But it really is fun and easy. I'm doing it the way AJ and Silverlyn did it: no inner borders but titles still intact. I bought a Fiskers paper trimmer because I don't trust myself with scissors. And rounding the corners - so FUN!! I've gone through the wands and some cups, but needed to take a break.
Now, I did do some practicing on the Art Nouveau (Myers) deck, using those extra cards that I never understood why they throw them in but now I get it. ;)

Carla

Glad you're having fun and could afford a decent trimmer. There'll be no stopping you now! :)

makani

Yes! I'm only part way through trimming my DC and I'm already thinking what deck will be next for the guillotine.

strings of life

Thread revival.

So, I sold my Druidcraft since it was lonely and unused. I knew I should have trimmed it--being a compulsive deck trimmer and all--but I never did. It became a block of a deck and it annoyed me. I tend to part with decks I don't use and obtain them again if they find their way back into my must-have list. The Druidcraft just became one of those decks thanks to a lovely reading done by Cassandra022 here. Now I have another Druidcraft winging it's way to be now via a trade, and yes, my trimmer is ready. My corner rounder is ready. I'm ready! Borders be gone - yes! Titles be gone - not so sure.

So, my question is--which is really a matter of opinion--should I trim it entirely and free it of borders and titles, which is what I'm leaning towards? To those of you who trimmed it and were new to the deck, are the cards recognizable?

Cassandra022

*feels special for enabling your Druidcraft re-purchase*

You probably know this since i stalk the trimming thread these days (lol) but I opted to keep the titles and top-bottom/short inner borders...it makes the cards a bit bigger and less easy to handle than they would without, but...i LIKE how the titles and inner borders look..they really go with the theme of the deck, seem part of the art rather than just tacked on as an afterthought? did chop off the longer edges borders though, i find that doing that alone makes the art pop out so much more...

the art is clear and hews pretty close to standard RWS and all though, so i dont think you'd have trouble reading em if you dont agree with my aesthetic sensibilities xD