Trimmed druidcraft, anyone?

MareSaturni

fferyllt said:
First, don't expect the sides of the deck to end up as smooth as a new deck that's been cut by machine. Even with the steadiest hands, that just isn't going to happen. Second, use good-quality sharp scissors. Third, find a spare card from another deck, such as a title card that you won't miss, and practice on that card first, to get the hang of it. Be patient, work in good light, and don't try to finish the whole deck at one sitting. You can do it!

Scion said:
The Druidcraft is a spectacular trimming candidate! Go for it Miss Yuko!

Thanks for the help :)

However, my greatest fear is that my Druidcraft was too expensive. You see, it costed me 65,00 reais (our currency...that would be about 35 US dollars i believe) - i had to save money for a while to get it - and i'm so afraid of screwing it all that my hand trembles as if i had Parkinson's Disease or something :/. Because if i make a mistake, i don't have money to get another Druidcraft, and i love the deck...it simply doesn't fit my hands.

Why did they have to make the deck so damn big? :( It beautiful, but unless your hands are huge, impossible to shuffle!

firefrost

miss_yuko said:
Why did they have to make the deck so damn big?

I feel like that about a few decks!

EarthFaery

I'm with you, I want to trim sooo bad but I'm afraid I'll screw it up and destroy them, I won't want to buy a new one either. I don't trust myself. Even with big hands they're too big to handle, I keep dropping them all over the place. Such a dilemma!

MareSaturni

SMV said:
I'm with you, I want to trim sooo bad but I'm afraid I'll screw it up and destroy them, I won't want to buy a new one either. I don't trust myself. Even with big hands they're too big to handle, I keep dropping them all over the place. Such a dilemma!

Yeah, that's awful! I mean, you are going to read for someone else..then you start dropping the cards all over the table because you hands cannot hold and shuffle them properly...then you give that nervous smile and the sitter already doesn't take you very seriously. And you haven't even started reading yet! Lol!

It makes me sad, because instead of being used and loved, my Druidcraft is only admired, and the hears a big sigh for it's owner. Depressing!

fferyllt

miss_yuko said:
Thanks for the help :)

However, my greatest fear is that my Druidcraft was too expensive. You see, it costed me 65,00 reais (our currency...that would be about 35 US dollars i believe) - i had to save money for a while to get it - and i'm so afraid of screwing it all that my hand trembles as if i had Parkinson's Disease or something :/. Because if i make a mistake, i don't have money to get another Druidcraft, and i love the deck...it simply doesn't fit my hands.

Why did they have to make the deck so damn big? :( It beautiful, but unless your hands are huge, impossible to shuffle!

I understand your fear. Of course, you have to decide what you are comfortable with. All I can suggest is that if you have some spare cards such as the cover and advertisement cards that come with some decks, if you are willing to sacrifice them you could practice and prove to yourself that you can do it. But I totally understand if you just can't bring yourself to cut a deck that was expensive for you.

And I agree, why didn't they leave the white borders off at least. You'd be amazed at how much smaller it is without just those white borders.

autumnsdaughter

Okay, I took the plunge, and discovered that we have one of those rotary paper cutters, so I got nice, clean edges. I'm a little more than half done (taking a break) and though they aren't perfectly equal, they are very close, and so much more beautiful. I don't have a corner punch yet, but even with the pointy corners, the images are so colorful and vibrant. This is so worth it.
BTW, I chose to leave on the titles and borders, and I think they still look fabulous. I like the stone edges, just not the white borders!

autumnsdaughter

Sigh. I think I'm in love! :love:

Seriously, this is now my favorite deck. It is so much more flexible, easy to shuffle, the colors are stupendous. Before, I felt distanced from this deck, now it feels so intuitive. Thank all for the inspiration!

MareSaturni

autumnsdaughter said:
Sigh. I think I'm in love! :love:

Seriously, this is now my favorite deck. It is so much more flexible, easy to shuffle, the colors are stupendous. Before, I felt distanced from this deck, now it feels so intuitive. Thank all for the inspiration!

I'm so glad it worked to you!

I'm still gathering the courage...and thinking about a plan B in case i screw it up :/
I can't use Druidcraft this big, one day i'll have to be brave and trim it.

ladyprow

YES, I highly recommend trimming this deck. I couldn't read with it at all until I trimmed it; the borders distracted me too much. But with the trimming the beautiful colors and imagery just pull you in.

Miss yuko, I understand your concern; I was so nervous about trimming mine. And I did it by hand, with scissors (and lets just say that I am a "creative cutter" and tend to make my own lines).

It actually did not turn uneven at all; I cut carefully (did not rush myself) and did what firefrost suggested, trimmed farther out than where I wanted the border to be. You may find that the sturdiness of the card stock in this deck makes it easy to cut straighter lines...

I am also glad I "took the plunge" (I was inspired from y'all back when I was a 'lurker', tee-hee :|) and trimmed away. This deck went from being unusable to one of my favorites! :)

autumnsdaughter

I really noticed it when I trimmed the corners with a corner rounder. It just felt organic and used in my hand, and I love it. I've been playing with it ever since I finished it! Go for it! You'll be happy you did, miss yuko.