Tying Decks with Satin Ribbon

Wendywu

Buffalo hide ...... got a wonderful, although HUGE, hide some time back. Been using it for quite a while for different projects. I add a layer of another type of leather - gorgeously soft, on the inside. Gotta feel beautiful, be safe, and look right :)

Le Fanu

I daresay it would look quite nice if loosely tied. I'm trying to visualise how they'd get bent corners from being tied like a parcel...

I have found some wonderful, 3-card-spread-sized dupion silk little reading cloths from India (30 cm square). Perfect size. Fold them in half, put deck in middle, flap fabric over either side and put in bag. Doesn't take up too much volume (with so many bags, deck and spreadcloth don't fit easily) and is nicely protected.

I've bought 7 or 8 in different colours now (no distracting patterns; plain only) and love them. Perfect size for reading on the hoof and added protection in bag.

nisaba

greatdane said:
Just wondering if anyone ties their decks (like one would tie a package, crisscrossing along the back and then tying in front) with a bit of satin ribbon before putting them in their bags? You know, to keep them from slooshing about.
I wrap 'em really tightly. They don't sloosh.

(Haven't we had this conversation before?)

gregory

What she said - and - no.

Alissa

greatdane said:
Just wondering if anyone ties their decks (like one would tie a package, crisscrossing along the back and then tying in front) with a bit of satin ribbon before putting them in their bags? You know, to keep them from slooshing about. Besides, I think it looks rather nice when you take them out and unwrap them. I figure couldn't hurt, as I'm not talking about binding them like they're in a corset or anything. Do others do this before putting them in a bag or case? I didn't know if this was something most readers do.
For *years* this is exactly how I kept my cards, and I used one of my old pink ribbons from my pointe shoes. I would cross tie them and then flip the cards over and tie a bow on top, just as you describe.

Worked great for me. I eventually moved to bags, but ribbons are just as funcitonal. And besides, it makes each reading feel like you're opening a gift first... very appropriate!

ETA: oh I just read more of the thread beyond your OP and duh... you mentioned the gift factor already. :D

greatdane

Alissa, but the gift factor

can't be mentioned too often LOL! I love the feeling of unwrapping anything with a satin ribbon! It just seems....special. I would think professional readers would LOVE to unwrap decks like that in front of querents or perhaps it's just me loving to see something unwrapped, because it has to mean it's special, right? LOL

Master_Margarita

I dunno...my first thought was "deck bondage!"....maybe I've been hanging with the BoGo for too long...

:heart: M_M~

greatdane

Aaaaahahahahahahah!

You are toooo funny, M_M! How you go from pretty satin ribbon to deck bondage, wait, I don't want to know LOL.

Master_Margarita

greatdane said:
You are toooo funny, M_M! How you go from pretty satin ribbon to deck bondage, wait, I don't want to know LOL.
<chuckles wickedly and discreetly> I had an Eight of Swords moment. "Oh, save me, save me!"

:heart: M_M~