Tying Decks with Satin Ribbon

celticnoodle

I use rubber bands too! on some of the decks. :laugh: and, I also have one deck that I have a ribbon tied around it.

a dear friend of mine knitted me a gorgeous bag for my tarot deck, and had a ribbon weaved in the bag that I can pull tight and tie. well, also tucked inside the bag was another part of that ribbon, that I guess was left over. it can be tied around a deck, and so sometimes I do that. just makes it feel more - special? and then i put it back into the bag. :)

pretty much anything goes with my decks, to keep them all together and in one place, not thrown about. :)

lark

I use "No-Ouch " ponytail holders.
They are covered with soft fabric and have no metal on them.
They come in a ton of colors so you can mix and match.
I've been using them on all my decks for years and none have warped at all.
I put them in their pony holder, than in their bag, so no lose cards banging around in there...works great.

greatdane

Thanks All!

Loved reading all your posts! I DO like the idea of decks wrapped as little packages, whether with ribbon or little ponytail bands. Something about regressing back to childhood and presents perhaps? ;-) I also like the idea of not HAVING to keep in their boxes, but also not having them sloosh around.

You've all given me things to think about re "dressing up" my decks!

Blessings all,

GD

Faolainn Storm

lark said:
I use "No-Ouch " ponytail holders.
They are covered with soft fabric and have no metal on them.
They come in a ton of colors so you can mix and match.
I've been using them on all my decks for years and none have warped at all.
I put them in their pony holder, than in their bag, so no lose cards banging around in there...works great.

I tried hairties, but I have found that after a few years the rubber inside disintegrates, and becomes useless. And I have also found that if they get hot the rubber can melt and ooze out through the covering, and create horrible sticky messes. Fortunately this hasn't happened to my cards, but has happened to some I had in a drawer. And trust me - it is very hard to clean the rubbery stuff off other things.

I therefore prefer ribbons. They don't perish or melt, and can easily be replaced when they get dirty or frayed. The risk to my cards of anything rubbery is just unacceptable.

FS

lark

Faolainn Storm said:
I tried hairties, but I have found that after a few years the rubber inside disintegrates, and becomes useless. And I have also found that if they get hot the rubber can melt and ooze out through the covering, and create horrible sticky messes. Fortunately this hasn't happened to my cards, but has happened to some I had in a drawer. And trust me - it is very hard to clean the rubbery stuff off other things.

I therefore prefer ribbons. They don't perish or melt, and can easily be replaced when they get dirty or frayed. The risk to my cards of anything rubbery is just unacceptable.

FS
I believe you Faolainn, but the "No Ouches" I use have no rubber inside of them at all they are soft stretchy material so they never break down like that.
So I feel safe in recomending them.

Taamar

greatdane said:
I figure couldn't hurt, as I'm not talking about binding them like they're in a corset or anything.

I make corsets and am now picturing a corset laced wrap.

greatdane

Oh, Taamar!

Like a tarot corset-laced wrap? You must take pix. Sounds like it would look really cool.

Fleo Brianson

I just wrap my cards up in the cloths I read them on, it's great for protecting them in transit and for providing a clean surface on which to lay them.

This ribbon idea is sounding really interesting though, and certainly takes up less room than the cloth. Sometimes I keep going back to the cards throughout the day, and then having to unpack and re-pack them every time gets to be kind of troublesome. The ribbon might be a faster and prettier alternative. :)

greatdane

Hi Fleo

Well, when I first started this thread it was because I wanted decks to be secure if they weren't in their boxes. I know a lot of people wrap in cloth and just carry around, which I think sounds brilliant, but thought tying them up with a bit of ribbon, whether wrapped in a cloth or put in a bag, was just, well, practical and nice-looking. Who doesn't like unwrapping a present? :)

I just got some minrice envelopes and they are grand. They secure decks because they have ties you can wrap around the envelopes and you can order a custom fit. It does make for a more secure deck. Granted, the ties are on the outside, but they do secure decks better. For when I use a bag, I plan on tying first with a satin ribbon before putting in the bag. Sometimes I keep in the box and put in bag, but some boxes are kind of bulky.

Faolainn Storm

lark said:
I believe you Faolainn, but the "No Ouches" I use have no rubber inside of them at all they are soft stretchy material so they never break down like that.
So I feel safe in recomending them.

Really! I have never heard of such a thing. I thought all hairties had rubber in them. I wish we could get things like that here.

FS