What do you love about the Bohemian Gothic?

Sinduction

For me, the cards really speak well with each other. It is a great story telling deck for me. I also never read it with traditional meanings. I have no idea of the stories behind it, I don't have the book :(, so I really am able to just read what I see in the cards and how they relate to each other.

Plus, it has the best card backs ever!

harmony1985

You lot are doing a great job! I hope it doesnt take the stated 4-5 working days i want it now!
I know what you mean about the shuffling, the Victorian Romantic gives such a satisfying shuffle.
I hope i have the balls to really set the scene and read them by candlelight in a dark room but i will probably spook myself, i dont even watch mild horror films by myself in the dark lol.
I also wont have the book Sinduction and I'm looking forward to drawing my own impressions of the cards, i had to so that with my VR (cos mine was trimmed when i got it) and doing that helped me learn so much more so that will be thecase with this too hopefully.
If it reads anything like the VR i will be happy and from your responses it sounds like it will :)

Dogmother

Good for you Harmony! When I was first starting with tarot decks I always read the LWB or book that came with it first. Then I started a personal relationship with the cards. I'm SO glad I finally started coloring outside the lines. Now I don't even look at the book/LWB until I'm in touch with the cards. And there are some of my favorite decks that I still haven't cracked a book or LWB on. The only rules for you are the ones YOU make. And I love the idea of candles and "mood" music to read with the BG. I may have to dig out some incense and have a go too. Or should I wait for Oct 31st? LOL

swimming in tarot

Harmony, I know you have the Victorian Romantic, so I'm sure you'll love the Bohemian Gothic. They don't call it the Dark Sister for nothing! Although I haven't done a reading with this yet, just a deck interview, I have been studying mine since I got it some weeks ago. I don't have the book either, but there are so many ways to look into the card with your own two eyes that you can have a very rich storytelling experience with them all the same. Get a magnifying glass out, or scan the cards to blow them up (despeckled); you'll be amazed at the amount of detail that just keeps adding to the story-behind-the-story. As in, "what's wrong with this picture?"; psychologically, I mean, certainly not artistically or technically! There's also a study thread on AT, which I have followed with profit. It would be lovely to see you there, if you were interested!

I find this deck really deepens my understanding of shadow meanings. I might hesitate to read with this deck unless I was trying to flush out the roots of something that was making me depressed or anxious, in which case I'd probably reach for it first; but if I were to get reversed cards while reading with another deck (particularly the VR, which I've ordered, direct thanks to your reading for me with it!) I would reference those cards in the Bohemian Gothic for the psychological depths that I am still learning to plumb.

If, for some reason, you don't connect with the cards in spite of your best efforts, do make sure they get a good home! I am so glad you didn't ask for de-enabling on this deck! :D

ETA: I see the images best with good, cool, white light: daylight, reflecting-off-snow light. Once one is familiar with the cards, perhaps candle light, but I find the warmth even of incandescent light dulls the coolness and details if you are trying to study the cards themselves.

Jewel

I like the classical gothic feel of them, not "goth" but gothic. It is not horror is the sense of blood and guts, it is the eeriness of possibility. I love the tone of the colors they just draw me in. MRP has knows tarot and their tarot deck designs are so well conceived that you just simply cannot go wrong with any of their decks. I am not into the gothic thing, but because this was an MRP deck I knew it would be readable and a gem. I was not not dissapointed.

As an aside since you are a VR lover (some am I), I believe it was when the VR had still not been published or perhaps it was right after it was published ... anyway *LOL* Karen (baba) spoke about some images that they had come accross in working on the VR that really had her inspired to create the VR's "dark sister" ... the Bohemian Gothic IS the Dark Sister in the flesh. Just thought you might enjoy that bit of trivia if you were not aware of it :D

Le Fanu

I have never felt the need to do the whole ambient thing of candles and stuff with the BG. Just the thought that psychologically these cards hold up to even the brightest daylight is proof that eerieness and disquiet are not particular to candlelight and castles and dungeons. Make no mistake, this is a deck which can be used every day if you want to. By daylight. The mysterious, the sinister and the repressed are with us all the time.

The interaction between cards is so good, it seems a waste to do just a one card spread! I do two card spreads and just watch the story emerge.

I have the Silver and the regular. I love the way the Silver looks like negatives of 19th Century photographic plates. And there are strange wisps in the backgrounds (i.e The Sun, Page of Wands), like spirit photography. Marvellous.

The cardstock is completely different from the cardstock of the VR. Just thought Id warn you beforehand harmony1985. Still great, but different.

Aerin

Le Fanu said:
Absolutely everything.

Just what I wanted to say :)

It reads beautifully for me, especially when I am feeling 'hemmed in' and want to be pointed at an escape route.

I :heart: this deck.

Funnily enough I find the Victorian Romantic darker to read with.

Aerin

Pandora MoonRaven

I love this deck. I do love the feel of the cards themselves. The images are haunting and breathtaking, many feel so real like you can step into the picture. I also love how some cards just pop with the most brilliant colors like emerald shimmering green and glowing red on clothing, dresses etc. It makes me think of finding a glowing rare jewel in a dark mining cave.

wytchwood

Aerin said:
Funnily enough I find the Victorian Romantic darker to read with.

Aerin

Me too.

Floss

I've JUST got these in the mail tonight - fantastic! I would have to be the most UN-gothic type person in the world, but for some reason a couple of months ago when I saw them online, I became completely fascinated. I'm now having weird notions of getting the Victorian Romantic and somehow combining the two decks to get a balance of light and dark ... ?? (Whoever heard of reading with two decks at the same time ??? !!

They are very beautiful though - extremely evocative ....