What do you tell them?

DaughterOfDanu

This is a bit of a spinoff from the Funniest Tarot comments thread.

What do you tell the religious people who object to Tarot or think of it as being dark or evil?
I hear people mention they have a sheet they pull out for others to read. Where could I obtain that?

I feel as I go about my journey I will run into people like that. I already have friends that would be extremely offended that I even consider the Tarot to be a positive tool. I dread to think what they'd think if they knew I had 20 decks and wanted it to be my life profession. ;) Saddest part is, they're family friends. People I've grown up with- older adults I've looked up to (And I still do). I know they're good people. They're just following what they were taught.

So what do you say to those neighsayers?
Do you have something pretyped to explain that the Tarot is not an evil tool of the devil?

cronegoddess54

What to tell them..

That is a good question about the sheet of paper that one can give them, would like to know what that is too.
CG

Chiska

There was a list of biblical verses that somebody compiled. I recall that there were quite a few in this thread.

But, really, since I am not, nor have I ever been, a Christian, I don't feel that it would make sense for me to pull out biblical assurances. That is their problem, not mine. I suppose that if one were a Christian, dealing with another Christian that it would make sense to use the Bible to make your point.

nisaba

TreeLeafe said:
What do you tell the religious people who object to Tarot or think of it as being dark or evil?
I like to smile very sweetly indeed, and point out that if they respect my right to hold my own beliefs, I'm very happy to also respect their right to be utterly wrong.

<grin>

avalonian

nisaba said:
I like to smile very sweetly indeed, and point out that if they respect my right to hold my own beliefs, I'm very happy to also respect their right to be utterly wrong.

<grin>

Brilliant (as always), thanks for that, I'm writing that one down.

:D :D :D

Nevada

I don't feel a need to say anything. They have a right to their beliefs. Unless they're in my face, trying to usurp my rights or something, why would I need to argue with them?

Abrac

I wouldn't do a typed paper. That reminds me of those religious tracts people hand out and leave laying around for others to find. They're not worth the paper they're printed on.

I'd try to get them to give you objective reasons for why they believe the way they do. A lot of people won't be able to. As you said, they're just repeating what they've heard from others. In that case, I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt unless they get demeaning or hateful, then I'd avoid them if possible. The ones who can explain themselves are valuable. Listen to them. You can evaluate what they say later. Think about any objections you might have and why you have them or areas where there might be agreement. This kind of analysis helps you to understand them better and also helps you to clarify you're own posittion. :)

NorthernTigress

I've never had a real "religious" encounter. But if someone asks me about the cards, and I'm not sure about what their reaction will be, I go with the psychology approach.

"I use them to ask myself questions. By looking at the cards that come out, my subconscious tells me what I need to hear."

gregory

I just say "to each their own," or something. I have better things to do with my life than argue. If someone shows a genuine interest - THEN I will bother.

Their beliefs are their business, and mine are mine.

But I have to say - it does irritate at times. I don't go around saying "How the hell can you believe in GOD..."

amethyst57

no one has confronted me personally...but i read a famous tarot
author was by certain door2door people...she asked if they'd would like a reading in exchange for their tracts and etc...fair enough exchange?
...if i recall, one of them grew pale as he listened to his reading....