What do you tell them?

gregory

I don't bother arguing for this very reason. To be honest - with ourselves, people ! - our belief in TAROT is JUST as irrational as their beliefs.

And you can't argue points of faith, not realistically. I may believe there is a tree in my yard - but if you can't see it, one of us is wrong. If you get my drift. So if i HAVE to say anything - I just say politely something like to each his own, and let it go.

nisaba

Yes, but you're *nice*. I'm largely giving up on nice.

kakooii

punchinella said:
The thing is, these people are trained to keep pursuing it. They are obligated to continue "witnessing" to you for as long as you will allow it; they do not see it as a two-way discussion but rather as an opening which you have given them to spread "the Word." "The Lord works in mysterious ways," they think, secretly (or not so secretly) believing, hoping, and praying that their message is getting through to you.

It makes me laugh but it's frustrating. I know she can't hear me - I can see the cogs turning in her brain, and everything she says to me has no soul to it (I can hear the handle clanging against the empty bucket) - it's all learned by rote, I scared her last time because she got personal - I'm always willing to get personal, but I've noticed exactly that, it's a script. And the thing is, lol the more I see her, the more I end up stronger in my faith, because I end up asking myself many questions!

What's also interesting is I get the whole set up - she's trying to guilt me but I have nothing I feel guilty enough about for it to work. It angers and saddens me that that's the approach, and how hard it must be to walk around thinking you've got the whole world to save because of something you did. And the words she uses "I was dirty, now I'm clean" bleh.

I haven't mentioned tarot to her - and I'm not going to, she already can't cope with me respecting all religions and religious masters...but what's funny is 3 hours later I got a mini reading in which someone tells me that people are going to be ragging on me quite alot about my beliefs in the near future and I must must must, remember to do what I know to be true to me and that which has joy lightness and ease is where I should place my attention - I laughed so hard I was crying because that's exactly what my beliefs, tarot etc. are for me - and I find this woman and her doctrine so depressing, dark and cloying. She once told me that I as myself couldn't be trusted so I shouldn't listen to myself. I just wanted to hug her, how do you live like that?

punchinella said:
You may even have become a subject of prayer in local meetings. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of these people gathered together from time to time to pray for, among other things, your salvation. That's the way they operate.

Grrr - save yourself before you try and save others. But hey, if this is the only way they know to send out some love, I'm just going to leave them to it - I can't compete with the strength of personal fear. From another perspective, I'm going to have to find a way to bring all of this to a close with this woman. I have sensed before that I am pushing on her last nerve - and my constant holding out may tip her over. The more it goes on the more I get concerned for her mental state. Besides, I'm truly a waste of her time because I'm not for turning. This feels like the most responsible thing to do now.

gregory

nisaba said:
Yes, but you're *nice*. I'm largely giving up on nice.
Oh believe me - they "get" my dismissiveness. They get it in SPADES })

Also - sometimes being effectively ignored is FAR more annoying to these people than being argued with !

linnie

Tell them nothing... let them just quietly watch :)

Namaste. :)

When I was in the last stages of completing my deck and getting it out into the world (a few years ago :):):)), I attended "Women-in- groups, where business gurus mentored we others.

There was a huge diversity between beliefs, as we had little in common except our need for business ideas. We had to offer monthly updates, and, holding up my oracle deck as my 'product', I did get some stares, and a few long, hard looks. I simply laid the open 'sample' deck down on a bench near the coffee pot at afternoon tea time. Quietly, those who were more comfortable to do so simply pulled a card, and one by one quite a few (but not all :)) of the women followed suit, and most became really excited with the process. Maybe they are out there, now, secretly developing serious habits whilst collecting as many decks as some AT members! :)

214red

live and let live.....i dont undestand people that seem to want to impose their beliefs on you!

A quote from Waleswoman "Who needs that when you can ask God?"
I had a woman give me a card about god when i was on the tube, because she saw my cards, "why dont you speak directly to god", i did answer "because i wanted to speak to his boss"...it was funny it puzzled her to think i actually didnt beleive god was the top of the tree..

Suzanne A

Wendywu said:
Intolerance - it's a mental blindfold, and these people spend their lives fearfully groping in a darkness of their own making and the worst of it is - they don't know it; they think they're in the light!

When I read this, I was struck by how perfect it is as a description of The Devil. And wouldn't these people be horrified to think that we see them as bound and blindfolded by their own beliefs.

punchinella

gregory said:
I don't bother arguing for this very reason. To be honest - with ourselves, people ! - our belief in TAROT is JUST as irrational as their beliefs.
Ha! But the thing is--we are at least an eensy weensie itty bitty tiny part flexible. Or at least we tell ourselves we are . . . :laugh: (Well, actually, I think we are. We do not, for one thing, all hold the same set of cookie-cutter beliefs about how tarot works or what the cards mean . . .)

Wendywu

Yes, but I'd be perfectly happy to pray with Christians, Wiccans, Moslems, Jews, Sikhs, Pagans - the whole lot - all at the same time, in the same room (and to the same God) ... and feeling that each of us had an absolute right to her own beliefs. And I think that tolerance makes the world a happier place for me - and certainly some of the more bigoted people one hears about don't seem to be all that happy in their faith.

By the same token - your tarot works for you. Mine for me (most of the time :laugh:). No way I'd tell anyone else to read tarot in the way I do...