What got you into Tarot.

rainwolf

I walked through the bookstore and tarot caught my eye. The rest came from that.

WolfSpirit

My first contact with an oracle deck was when I was in college and the girl next to me found a Lenormand oracle deck hidden in an old couch. She started doing readings for fun, until she got one very negative reading that scared the heck out of her.
Worst introduction possible, but it still got me interested to find out more about working with cards. I got a tarot deck and a book one day, but I never really got into it properly until I found this site where I learnt so much more than a book could ever teach me.

Zephyros

I started when I was thirteen, and at first I didn't know, really, what I was doing. I mean, I wanted to see the future and stuff like that. In time, however, the more I learned the more interested I became, but I suppose I learned the most when I joined Aeclectic!

Simone

16 years ago, I had my first boyfriend. I was just out of school and looking for a job. He looked at the papers, and told me - write there, that's a cool company... I did, and they took me.

I start there because it is the beginning of my tarot "saga" and my spiritual developement.

In that company, I met three women that were to become important in my life, all of which are my now best friends. But one of them was a bit more important: she "dragged" me to a conference which set me on my spiritual path, and then she introduced me to her oracle deck, the "Oracle de Belline". I was intrigued and bought one of my own.

I remember how proud I was when, while practising readings with it, I found out that my mother had won a little bit of money in a lottery, I dashed downstairs to ask her, and she looked at me surprised, saying "well, yes, I just got the letter"...

Then, I heard about Tarot classes in Metz (France) and joined up, and got my first TdM deck for the purpose. I did not learn much about tarot in that class, but discovered plenty other psychic abilities I have...

I started buying other decks and fiddling around with them a bit, but not much happened yet. (not many, I came to AT with 5 decks in my "collection" :D )

I made a detour via energy work and Reiki, which both helped me to develope those psychic abilities, and finally I returned to Tarot, where nowadays I am a full-blown addict to the cards, even though I would not really need them to read people... the cards are just too much fun! :D

Thanks, boyfriend, for setting me, unintentionally, onto the "right" path! :D

Simone

Hi all,

due to the tarot nature of this thread, I am going to move it to Talking Tarot, as it is a more appropriate place for it to be.

Also, more people will be able to see it and comment :D

Looking forward to see all of your stories.

Simone
co-moderator, Chat Forum

Free Flight

I was given my first deck for christmas of last year by my sister which was like being reunited with an old close friend. I have not put my cards down since...

the unknown

I got into it due to the nature of it. I'm a very curious person and just developed a curiosity for it, then it grew into a like, now I'm ready for my first deck that I'll be getting this week. I've been reading up on stuff for a while, but just never did take the time to buy the cards. now I have and am very excited. It also got me into making my own deck, which is currently in the works.

EminemsAngelBaby

My brother bought me a deck for Valentines Day. The Hanson Roberts. I was so intrigued with them, looked through the deck right away, and shared them with him and his fiance. Everyday since I've been compelled to pick them up, play with, and study the cards.

Ross G Caldwell

A movie

I believe it was "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors"
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvDrTerror.htm

which I saw at Christmas, 1979. I was 13. In the movie, Dr. Shreck reads the fortunes of 5 people in his cabin, and each reading is its own story in the movie. I was fascinated by the cards - I forget which deck he used [edited to add - if you look at the last picture in this review of the film
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/dr_terrors.html
it appears that the deck was none other than Marteau's Tarot de Marseille].

I was already into the occult, first through Anton LaVey's writings, then I got into astrology. After that was the tarot.

Citrin

I was very interested in wicca and paganism when I was, maybe, around 13-14 (I'm 18 now btw). But I didn't care much for tarot, mainly because I thought I was too much of a mess to memorize 78 cards (that's what I thought tarot was about!) and... This may sound silly, but I thought I wouldn't be able to "look into the future" since I'm not a gypsy. :D

I started reading some blogs on the Internet last year, and one girl used tarot cards. She posted a picture of a reading (RWS deck) and as soon as I saw it I just knew that I had to get a deck. Oh, and I got over the gypsy-thing when I noticed how similar me and this girl were. Both of us quite normal Polish girls with no gypsy accents... And still able to read cards!

Now I'm more hooked than ever.