What got you into Tarot.

HearthCricket

I got started on tarot 30 years ago. My best friend had received the IJJ Swiss Tarot Deck from a relative, as a gift, and we started looking at it, and playing around with the major arcana. I told my parents about it and they bought me my own deck for Christmas. I quickly memorized the deck and used the minor arcana for solitaire games!. Then my friend got the RWS and so did I, and was very excited about artwork througout the deck. After a few years a New Age store opened, right down the street from where I was working, and I began to discover the "world of Tarot" as more and more decks started to come out. I purchased the Sacred Rose and small tapestry bag to keep it in. I had become hooked and started reading. Of course, since I found this site I have also turned into a collector and am having the time of my life. I feel like you are all kindred spirits and am so very grateful to be able to share this part of my life with a great group of people!

RufusJ

I don't remember when I got my first deck. It was an RWS and I was in high school. I'd just come off a few years of using the Ouija but dropped that because I didn't like being cussed out by a disembodied spirit. I portrayed a gypsy reader at my high school fair-- wig, makeup, cards, the works-- and was surprised to see the "fortunes" I told came true. But... I dropped the cards when a cult I joined forbade them. (Anything for acceptance....)

Bought some again, RWS again, dropped them again. Some bad things happened and I figured God was p***ed because I had the cards. (You'd be amazed at all the crap I can attribute to God.) Time passed, bought some again (this time not RWS), slowly working with them.

Even more than reading with them, I like where the cards take my mind. Like portals opening to places I've never been. If I draw a daily card, it's more like a piece of sand I can either work with or against, rather than a possibility for what the day may bring.

Do I like tarot? "Like" is such a nebulous thing. I'm intrigued by it. Tarot and I are like two porcupines doing a slow tango. Definitely a work in progress...

Greywoolfe

I've always been interested in esoteric matters and divination, having my own set of I-Ching coins and doing readings from these; and while tarot had always fascinated me, I never thought I'd be able to understand some of its' symbology until relatively recently. I was in the middle of reading H.P. Blavatsky's 'The Secret Doctrine', when my wife, who was reading 'Tarot For Dummies', suggested that I give tarot a try.

When I told her that I might not be able to understand the symbology of the cards, she pointed to the colour plates in the middle of the book- at the Magician from Losches' Cosmic tarot in particular, and said "The symbols here look similar to those in the book you're reading. tell me what you think this card means." I looked, and gave her an explanation based on what I saw, and I was astonished that the meaning given in the book was practically identical!! I was so thrilled at this, I began reading the book myself, and soon after acquired a Cosmic deck of my very own. During that time, I discovered this forum and never looked back! I'm now building up a library of material, and a Marseilles deck has also found it's way into my care.

:T2C

Vadella

I wanted to learn something new. :)

Webwitch

I've always been interested in it, since I was about 14. Unfortunately, I never connected with the cards.

I took a reading with some TABI members at a Witchfest, thought they were excellent and then found out they ran free courses, so it started from there.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)

Startarot

I bought my first deck 11 years ago. I had to hide it frommy then husband who said it was evil and from the devil. It was the RWS deck. I did not really like the images or the pale colors, but I was determined to learn. I put the deck down in frustration and became more fascinated with astrology. Every now and then when in a book store I would vernture to the area where the tarot cards were located. I became enamored of oracle decks and began purchasing and using them. Unitl I eoncountered Motherpeace tarot and then Daughters of the Moon tarot. I read only for myself. I took a turn into reiki and IET and other modalities. Fast forward to the present.. I am now living tarot. I have the fortune to be able to devote my sef to my studies of tarot. I found this site and the ATA. My deck collection is swelling and I am not looking back. It so wonderful to connect with others who have this passion for tarot.
Blessings

Tabby

Bookstore and just simple fascination

I'd probably said this before in a similar thread, but, but I bought an tarot deck at the new age section of the bookstore. Because it just caught my interest. Well that and I've always been fascinated with psychics, mystic type of things.
Anyway, I had that tarot deck for years. I would get it out every now and now and open the little companion book that came with it that had a couple of layouts and fool with it. Every so often I would intuitely know what those cards meant to me in my life.

rcb30872

Hi

I had a friend that was very much into tarot. She would do readings for me, to start with it didn't like it much, but after awhile I was totally amazed at how much you can get out of a reading. Besides, I have always been very interested in the illustrations on the cards themselves.

I think out of the tarot decks she had, not sure exactly how many she had, but the Osho Zen was the one I showed the most interest in. Perhaps I should get a deck of my own of the Osho Zen. Just loved looking at the different cards and like I said before the illustrations.

A few years later, when I got this computer, about a year ago, I spent most of my time looking at the new age stuff. I started getting readings on a particular web site, which I joined and which offered freetarot lessons. Even then after doing the lessons, I didn't show much interest. Only picked up a real interest in it about 2 months ago, if that. And then, couldn't possibly tell you why!! If I knew myself, I would tell you, believe me.

Bec

stella01904

RufusJ said:
Bought some again, RWS again, dropped them again. Some bad things happened and I figured God was p***ed because I had the cards. (You'd be amazed at all the crap I can attribute to God.)...Tarot and I are like two porcupines doing a slow tango. Definitely a work in progress...
MM ~ I have been told many times, in no uncertain terms, that when bad things happen it is because I "mess with cards". One need only look at all the people in hospitals, jails, etc. who do not "mess with cards" to see that this is complete and utter b.s. of the nth degree. BB, Stella

Bean Feasa

I bought the Tarot for Beginners set (Sharman-Caselli) for my sister who was frittering vast amounts of money ringing psychic helplines. I just saw the set in the bookshop and thought - hey maybe she could use these things herself instead of spending €1 per minute, or whatever it is they charge.
Got home and was intrigued by the picture on the cover (2 x swords) so thought to myself well she won't mind if I open it up and have a look. Started to read the book and got completely and utterly hooked.
So I kept the Sharman-Caselli.Then I discovered Aeclectic, bought more decks, and it goes on...

If you're wondering about my sister I did buy her the New Palladini. She likes it, but shortly afterwards I got her an angels deck that she loves and that took over from Tarot completely for her.