What one book helped you the most?

seapearls

I have no books on Tarot as of yet but the 3 on my list are:

Learning the Tarot - Joan Bunning
Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom - Rachel Pollack
Tarot for Yourself - Mary K. Greer

My husbands going to kill me, I want more books and I haven't read the ones I've got. I'm ADDICTED!

Stregaverde

Well, all of the information in Bunning's book is downloadable from her website, which might leave you with enough money to buy It's All In The Cards by John Mangiapane, our very own tarotbear--I don't have it yet, but I hear that it's wonderful. :)

seapearls

Stregaverde said:
Well, all of the information in Bunning's book is downloadable from her website, which might leave you with enough money to buy It's All In The Cards by John Mangiapane, our very own tarotbear--I don't have it yet, but I hear that it's wonderful. :)

Forgot about that, I have her site bookmarked, duh. Adding to my list...along with some others I've come across in our book section of AT.

memries

Chronata

Although I am a new member here, what made me search out this site was a very long writing on the internet by M. Tsarion and it was on Astro-Theology and of course never having heard of that....I proceeded to read it. I do have some University Credits in Theology and so was fascinated with his perspective on the matter. In fact I was able to rationalize and understand much more what the Tarot really represents. If you cannot find it I will find the exact address for you, if you wish.

seapearls

memries said:
Although I am a new member here, what made me search out this site was a very long writing on the internet by M. Tsarion and it was on Astro-Theology and of course never having heard of that....I proceeded to read it. I do have some University Credits in Theology and so was fascinated with his perspective on the matter. In fact I was able to rationalize and understand much more what the Tarot really represents. If you cannot find it I will find the exact address for you, if you wish.

I found this one is this it? It is very long

http://www.taroscopes.com/astro-theology/astrotheology.html

dolphinprincess

I love Tarot for the Healing Heart by Christine Jette.

This is not a booked geared toward learning the tarot (ie. the main focus is not on tarot meanings)... However, the section in the back of the book that includes definitions for the cards is written in a way that just clicks with me and helps me grasp meanings better than any other book I've read, thus far.

For each card, the positive and negative traits are shown as well as ways to heal issues surrounding the card.

While these meanings may be a bit geared toward healing, I still find them applicable to a lot of situations. I'd purchase this book just for this portion of it - even if I never read the bulk of the book (which is very good).

Other tarot books I also found to be wonderful are A Magical Course in Tarot by Michelle Morgan and Everyday Tarot by Janina Renee - as well as the James Ricklef books (I think sample readings are excellent help, especially for beginners)

ncefafn

The Norton Anthology of English Literature.

Oh, you mean Tarot book! Okay, gotcha. Well, hmm. I guess I'd have to say James Ricklef's book, Tarot Tells the Tale, because it gave me a bunch of three-card readings to look at and ponder over. I got to see how he integrated the card interpretation with the querent's situation, how he switched around the basic three-card format to fit the querent's concerns, and how he basically said to ignore cookbook meanings and trust your intuition.

For the book that's never been printed -- grumble, grumble -- I guess I'd have to say Umbrae's. :(

MoonMaiden

I had to check out the Magical Course in Tarot after seeing it referenced above, and read a few lines online. Was that book ever titled "Choice-Centered Tarot"? I have that book and I am sure the words I read online were the exact same ones in CCT. Ah well, rhetorical, perhaps . . . :p

Oh yeah, my answer to this question . . . :)

I would have to say Greer's Tarot for Your Self, and Tarot Mirrors.

poivre

Magical Tarot, Mystical Tao
by Diane Morgan

This book I found interesting. It's got a lot of Yin and Yang in it and uses RWS pictures.

I feel it helps with thinking in a different direction.