What one book helped you the most?

Junia

skytwig said:
I did not expect to like this book that I got at 1/2 price, but:
TAROT, Your Everyday Guide by Janina Renee
I, too, purchased this one half off the cover and I REALLY like it. I was going to purchase her latest (I think) one something about Tarot for a New Millenium and was glad I got this one instead. What a find.

I also found a beautifully illustrated Major Arcana only book called, "The Tarot & You" by Linda B. Revell and illustrated by Penny Lovelock. It was a Barnes & Noble limited book (although I found it used elsewhere). The artwork is exceptional. Each card has a full page devoted to it. I think this one will be good to pack and go meditating with. Can't wait for the snow to clear in the canyons. Suit of Wands do your stuff!

SexiSadi

Junia said:
I, too, purchased this one half off the cover and I REALLY like it. I was going to purchase her latest (I think) one something about Tarot for a New Millenium and was glad I got this one instead. What a find.
It's called Tarot For a new Generation, and I have found it VERY usefull. I have Tarot, Your Everyday Guide on order from the library. hopefully it won't take too long!

Raven Reed

My first book was The Complete Idoits Guide To Tarot & Fortune Telling. Just recently I picked up Joan Bunnings's Learning The Tarot. And my newest book is 78 Degrees Of Wisdom.

I have never liked the RW deck, but after reading that book, I may break down and get a Universal Waite deck. Wow. Even though it goes deeply into the symbology of the RW decks specifically, the way the cards interact is useful to me now since I use a RW clone.

SexiSadi

Raven Reed said:
I have never liked the RW deck, but after reading that book, I may break down and get a Universal Waite deck. Wow. Even though it goes deeply into the symbology of the RW decks specifically, the way the cards interact is useful to me now since I use a RW clone.

I don't care for RW decks either, but something inside of me says that I need one. I have no idea why. So I may break down and buy one soon.

Junia

SexiSadi

Quote from SexiSadi "It's called Tarot For a new Generation, and I have found it VERY usefull." Yup you are right picked it up for about $9.00 from Overstock.com it is a peach! Thanks for the heads up!.

Love & Cups of Nine

Junia

Emeraldgirl

The single most helpful book I have read would have to be Rachel Pollack's 78 degrees of wisdom. It really helped me connect to the cards using my intuition as opposed to memorising set meanings.

Knight_of_Swords

The book I've found most valuable is Gareth Knight's Magical World of the Tarot: instead of having to memorize lists of more or less arbitrary interpretations of the cards, the reader is encouraged to find his or her own meanings through guided meditation and visualisation.

From a completely different perspective, Michael Dummett's The Game of Tarot (from Ferrara to Salt Lake City) is invaluable as an authoritative resource on the history of the cards. Hard to come by, but fortunately my college library has a copy ...

gollog

After reading a lot of books on the subject of tarot I found the one for me, that makes all the others unnecessary. The author is German, so I'm not sure if the books are translated in english, but it is called 'Das Arbeitsbuch zum Tarot' By Hajo Banzaf. His interpretations of the cards always seem so spot on! He also has a very informative site: www.tarot.de you can choose for the english language option.

Cheers!

mike gorth

I've only found one book. "The Tarot Workbook" by Nevill Drury.

Asenath

I'm new to the Tarot and the book I've clung to so far is The Complete Book of Tarot: A Step-by-Step Guide to Reading the Cards by Juliet Sharman-Burke.

What I liked about it is that she goes through all of the cards in the Major Arcana by describing each as characters or situations that the Fool encounters on his journey to enlightenment. What she also does on purpose is introduces the Minor Arcana in with the majors, so 8 majors, 5 minors, another 6 majors, etc.

She also has some sample readings in the back as well as exercises throughout the book...