What one book helped you the most?

Little Baron

Scanning my bookshelf of about forty or so tarot books, I have to say that none of them really helped me get to where I am now. This forum helped me though - constant debate, and questions I actually wanted answered was the way forward for me. Most books I have are specific to a certain deck or work with the RWS symbolism, which is not very useful for me, now that I work with a Marseille, so they are pretty much redundant. I suppose that the Buddha Tarot Companion would be the most useful as as well as working with that deck, Place does speak (a lot) about the Marseille, which he treats as the standard deck and guide for his own. There is a lot of interesting information about Tarot History in that book and it is one of the ones that comes without any RWS and other modern interpretation.

LB

cybercat

Outside the cover

The BEST book ever..... drumroll please hands down is

AECLECTIC TAROT

second best Tarot for you self. by mary greer.

Cat

ThePlayerOfGames

Am I the only person who really dislikes "tarot, plain and simple" then? It was the second book I read after thirteen's tarot card meanings (featured on this website) which was an amazing introduction to the tarot. I just found "plain and simple" to lack substance and attach some meanings to cards which I found rather tenuous ie. chariot could mean buying a car.

Back on topic, I haven't read anything as good as thirteen's tarot card meanings as it simplifies everything for beginners but just gives a hint to the depth of the cards!

EDIT: from plain and simple "The sun... people: sun-bathers" AAARGH!

Scion

I'm not an especial fan of the book... but you should dig up some of TarotBear's hilarious posts about Tarot Plain & Simple and his assessment of its shortcomings. He does have a way with words, our Bear...

ThePlayerOfGames

Lol, "a book for insomniacs". Thanks for the link Scion! :D

Maria Spencer

I really like "Learning the Tarot" by Joan Bunning, too. I also have "The Complete Book of Reversals" by Mary Greer, and I must say, there's great info in there, but it's not broken down in a clear and concise way. I find the info kind of jumbled, and not well organized. But then again, I like a lot of bullets, and lists... endless paragraphs bore me!

Has anyone read the "Rabbi's Tarot"? (Can't remember the author's name). I'm thinking about ordering this one. Either that or "78 Degrees"....

Cheers!

bluebetween

SexiSadi said:
I don't care for RW decks either, but something inside of me says that I need one. I have no idea why. So I may break down and buy one soon.

You know, I hated mine when I got it a week ago for my tarot class... the woman at the book store said it was a great beginner's deck and what the teacher of my class would recommend... but I thought it was so ugly... yet the more I use it, the more I really like it after all. Not really ugly after all.

I just got in the mail The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien - it looks Excellent. I guess it is better if you have the Thoth deck, though I can see that it would work with most of the RW cards too.

cormac

mike gorth said:
I've only found one book. "The Tarot Workbook" by Nevill Drury.

agreed -- thank you for recommending it to me mike :)

jayde

I really liked How To Use Tarot Spreads by Sylvia Abraham. It has 37 tarot spreads, with some very specific ones. They're all fun to try. :D