What's the 5x14-theory

jmd

Thank you for this excellent link which I did not have!!!

I found the image I previously referred to thereon. Both the image you mention and the one I mention have similarities and differences with the Visconti decks. What I find interesting is that, as you post on your wonderful site, and as previously attached by Kaz, the Visconti-Sforza Magician has rather a very thin staff, and appears to have a cake of some sort on the table - reminiscent of the food which seems to appear on the top-central depiction of the 'children' of Mercury, and upon which such wand/staff would not be visible - still, I accept your comment, as it is an important one. By the way, when I discovered this, I did not in any way assume a correlation between this card and Mercury, despite the writings of many.

I don't know if the links will work here, but the two cards, as previously posted by Kaz, of the Carey-Yale and the Visconti are interesting, the former reminiscent of the much later Wirth deck in the depiction of the suit symbols upon the table.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi jmd -

you are right, Bembo's images of the Fool and the Magician are rather unique from what has survived. The Magician/Bagatto as Conjurer is more clearly seen in the other cards from the 15th century, such as the Este and the early woodcuts (maybe not 15th century). I think with Ferrara we are dealing with a different iconographical tradition. I happen to think it is the original tradition, which Bembo felt free to modify for his patrons' tastes (more austere). The Este Bagatto and Matto are raucous, and the Matto is rather lewd.

I put the Roger de Gaignières cards (my name for the Charles VI/Gringonneur cards) in the same tradition - the Matto is clearly based on a similar model.

Ross

Huck

Early suits-systems

Johannes von Rheinfelden (1377, but the original is doubted to be changed later) reported about various decks at his time. It seems, that there are 6 different decks.

3 with 4x13-structure but varying in the courts system
1 with 5x13
1 with 6x13
1 with 60 cards

The courts vary between King, Queen, upper marshall and lower marshall. One of the decks had 2 kings and 2 queens.

Decks with 4x14-structure are testified by San Bernardino in 1423 first.

Interesting is the "Liechtensteinsches Spiel", which has survived with 16 cards. It shows, that the upper marshall and lower marshall could be handled creative. One lower marshall (called Unter or Under) is a female nude and another a pissing fool.

http://www.geocities.com/tarocchi7/Lichtenstein1.html

It's an unattractive deck and one has some problems to acknowledge much. But it's one of the earliest documents for "cheap cards". It has 5 suits, half in the Italian way, although produced outside of Italy (the 5th suit are "shields"). One cannot say, if it' has been a deck with 5x13- or 5x14-structure. The date of the deck is unclear. Some say, 1440, others say, after 1470.

The Fool (in Unter-function) might be the oldest Fool on a surviving card deck.

Umbrae

Huck said:
On top of all his arguments is a clear document from Ferrara from 1457 , in which it is said, that "Trionfi decks with 70 cards" (= 5x14 decks) are produced. It is the oldest document, which tells anything about the structure of the early Trionfi-decks beside the really proved existence of some early card decks, which doesn't contradict the 5x14-theory.

Ross G Caldwell said:

>I evaluate these data in the following way: A thing
>has a good chance to be mentioned somewhere, when it
>is new. So the later missing of Trionfi-notes outside
>of Ferrara is "naturally", Trionfi wasn't then not
>new.

Additionally, although the earliest entry (Feb. 10 1442) describes carte da trionfi as 4 suits and "figures", it doesn't go into any more detail of the composition of the pack. But the pack is never described this way again. This could mean it is new - new enough that it had to be described.

Sounds reasonable. But doesn't Marcello also say a "new kind of triumphs" (speaking of Filippo's old deck)? This means there is another kind, more familiar.

It really could be that the "triumphs" were added to the Imperadori, to make an "all-purpose deck", from which you could remove various cards for the different games. Finally, someone made a game with all the cards, which is when they put numbers on them.

The facts might be spotty, but they do seem to point to a condition where there are not many trionfi decks around, and not many people
who know how to play.

Ross

As a follower of these historical threads (and I do love history) I am troubled by discrepancies. Especially when speculation is eschewed.

Looks to me that the Feb 10, 1442 note pretty much blows 5x14 out of the water…say what?

Huck

Re: Re: What's the 5x14-theory

Umbrae said:
As a follower of these historical threads (and I do love history) I am troubled by discrepancies. Especially when speculation is eschewed.

Looks to me that the Feb 10, 1442 note pretty much blows 5x14 out of the water…say what?

Hi Umbrae,

none of the early Trionfi notes, as far we do know them, beside Document 3 (Marcello) and Document 16 (70 cards), tells anything about the number of the trump cards. Marcello speaks about 16 trumps, which are "Gods" and the Gods are described in detail (they are surely not similar to the standard motifs), and Doc. 16 speaks of "70 cards". The Document of 10th February could theoretically refer to all possible numbers of trump cards (for instance also 22), but it is likely, that it refers to a 5x14-deck (5x13 or 5x16 are other logical numbers).

There is nothing before ca. 1460 (and even that date might be too early), which points to a deck with with 21+1 or 22 trumps.

"22" is pure speculation. "70 cards" are noted in a document.

Ross G Caldwell

Re: Re: What's the 5x14-theory

Hi Umbrae -

Umbrae said:

Not sure I understand. How so?

Ross

catboxer

OK, I'll try

Harumph (clears throat) kashl kashl.

Evaluating this theory is difficult at best, and it's also a lot of work, but here goes.

The 2/10/1442 memo doesn't impeach the theory because it doesn't specify the number of "figures." It just names the suits and then says "all the figures." There's no way to determine how many cards were in those two decks.

The best evidence in support of the theory is the 1442 memo referring to 70 cards, and the observation that the Visconti-Sforza trumps were not all painted by the same hand (probably Bembo's). Six appear to have been added later, and it seems more likely these were additions rather than replacements. But then, it's impossible to say that for sure.

The Cary-Yale deck contains a classically-rendered Strength card. But then again, it also contains other trumps not found in any other deck. The best we can say of this product is that it's an anomaly which contained 64 suited cards and an indeterminable number of trumps. As such, it neither supports nor impeaches any theory.

The Brera-Brambilla pack has only two surviving trumps. It offers no evidence for or against the theory. The Lombard II pack likewise has only two remaining trumps, but one of them is the Star, which gravitates against the 5 x 14 theory.

The Fournier cards, mentioned on another thread, have fifteen surviving trumps, three of which are not on the list of the fourteen alleged original trumps painted by Bembo. However, the Fournier cards were definitely not painted by Bembo, as some think. Bembo was usually a competent, if not a great technician, and the faces on these cards are nasty and badly rendered. There is, in addition, suspicion in some quarters that the Fournier cards are late 19th- or early 20th-century forgeries which, if true, would mean that they have absolutely no bearing on the 5 x 14 theory. See Kaplan II, p. 12.

Likewise, the Rosenthal cards are of undetermined and possibly recent origin. Two of its remaining trumps, the star and the sun, are not on the list. See Kaplan I, p. 99.

Of the nine remaining Goldschmidt cards, six might be trumps, but the images are so anomalous, bizarre and unidentifiable that this fragment can have no possible significance in evaluating the theory.

Another consideration is that the Fool is not a trump. The standard tarot trump sequence is 21 trumps and the Fool. Twenty-one was a magic and significant number long before the invention of tarot.

My own conclusion, as I have said elsewhere, is that the earliest period of tarot development was, like the present day, characterized by unrestrained and exuberant experimentation, improvisation, and artistic license. This is evidenced by the Cary-Yale deck, the Florentine Minchiate, the Sola-Busca cards, the all-"trumps" so-called Tarot of Mantegna, and others. Rather than looking for a system prior to about 1475, I think it's both easier and more sensible to conclude that there wasn't one.

Huck

Re: OK, I'll try

Hi Dave,

your understanding is very good, I guess. But let me give some additional notes.

catboxer said:
Harumph (clears throat) kashl kashl.

Evaluating this theory is difficult at best, and it's also a lot of work, but here goes.

The 2/10/1442 memo doesn't impeach the theory because it doesn't specify the number of "figures." It just names the suits and then says "all the figures." There's no way to determine how many cards were in those two.

Right. There's no way ...., but there is an additional document, given at:

http://www.geocities.com/research_of_tarot/trionfifigure.html

which was found by Ross Gregory Caldwell in March 2003, when the 5x14-theory was on its way.

It refers to

1. the 1.1.1441 (relatively near to the 10.2.1442),

2. to the later Trionfi-painter Sagramoro,

3. indirectly to the later Trionfi-commissioner Leonello,

4. to Ferrara, where the later decks were produced,

5. to Bianca Maria Visconti, the single daughter of the man, who as only commissioner of a Trionfi-deck before 1442 is known (Filippo Maria Visconti, commissioner of the Michelino-deck)

6. to something, which is an "amusement in the evening"

7. to something, which is a natural material to produce playing-cards

7. to, last not least, "14 figure", that is the same expression, which is later (10.2.1442) used in the Trionfi document.

8. However, any direct expression of playing cards is missing.

At Trionfi.com we're on the way to explore further conditions of this special document, which might clearify the value of the document, but there is certain hope, that we've with this the oldest written document about "Trionfi" decks after the Marziano-da-Tortano-manuscript. We're preparing already a longer time to present our informations, but as usual at trionfi.com, it's "under construction". If you're interested to take a look:

html://geocities.com/autorbis/ferrara.html

The best evidence in support of the theory is the 1442 memo referring to 70 cards, and the observation that the Visconti-Sforza trumps were not all painted by the same hand (probably Bembo's).

I assume a writing error. Not 1442, but 1457, Document 16

html://geocities.com/research_of_tarot/tri16.html

You're right. These both present the best arguments.

Six appear to have been added later, and it seems more likely these were additions rather than replacements. But then, it's impossible to say that for sure.

In the opinion of autorbis, who developed the 5x14-theory in May 1989 within two weeks, the facts around the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-Tarocchi and the other early decks as given by Stuart Kaplan, Encyclopedia I, are enough to conclude, that it is for 99 % sure, that the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-Tarocchi must be interpreted this way.
This sounds unbelievable. But as background: autorbis is a system-researcher with much experience, who has a set of "own techniques", partly based upon evaluation of probabilities. autorbis says, that he had no luck with communicating his own techniques in the past, especially in this question, and was mostly (let's say 99%) not successful to convince anybody of the inner logic of this "special technique" and "its results".

In the meantime other evidance for the theory was found, so that this special part with its troublesome difficulties to communicate it has lost its earlier importance.

autorbis says: It is 99 % sure at least. It's just his personal evaluation. If he's asked for reasons, he would reply. He don't feel sure, that his reasons would be understood and accepted.

The Cary-Yale deck contains a classically-rendered Strength card. But then again, it also contains other trumps not found in any other deck.

Not totally true: the Minchiate includes all Cary-Yale trumps.

The best we can say of this product is that it's an anomaly which contained 64 suited cards and an indeterminable number of trumps. As such, it neither supports nor impeaches any theory.

autorbis suggests, that it might be the fragment of a 5x16-deck, possibly referring to the 16 figures of the chess-game. autorbis doesn't neglect, that there are other possibilities.

http://www.geocities.com/autorbis/VMnew.html

The Brera-Brambilla pack has only two surviving trumps. It offers no evidence for or against the theory.

Without neglecting other possibilities, autorbis points out, that this deck, apparently old (before 1447), might have had in its original state only 4 trumps or "special cards". autorbis sees the chance, that this deck originally was called an "Imperatori"-deck.

An document of 1423 from Ferrara indicates "8 Imperatori-cards", which probably were added as "special cards" to a normal deck.

Imperatori-decks are noted in Ferrara a few times (1423, 1443, 1452), the interest in them seem to disappear, when Trionfi-decks became popular. So there is the chance, that Imperatori-decks merged by adding a few special cards more in Trionfi-decks.

autorbis sees the following card-logic for the Brera-Brambilla as possible:

Emperor - addition to the 4 kings (Emperor is a survived card)
Empress - addition to the 4 queens (reconstructed)
Chariot - addition to the 4 knights (reconstructed)
Wheel - addition to the pages (the Wheel is a survived card)

His arguments:

1. An Empress must accompany the Emperor - as Queens do accompany Kings - it's naturally missing.

2. The Chariot is the only known Tarot-card with horses (beside Iustitia in the Bembo-cards).

3. The Wheel refers clearly to Fortuna and "fortune" was needed by the lower people.

autorbis arguments are "in development", not ready and readable in the net (will happen soon, as he said)

The Lombard II pack likewise has only two remaining trumps, but one of them is the Star, which gravitates against the 5 x 14 theory.

The Fournier cards, mentioned on another thread, have fifteen surviving trumps, three of which are not on the list of the fourteen alleged original trumps painted by Bembo. However, the Fournier cards were definitely not painted by Bembo, as some think. Bembo was usually a competent, if not a great technician, and the faces on these cards are nasty and badly rendered. There is, in addition, suspicion in some quarters that the Fournier cards are late 19th- or early 20th-century forgeries which, if true, would mean that they have absolutely no bearing on the 5 x 14 theory. See Kaplan II, p. 12.

Likewise, the Rosenthal cards are of undetermined and possibly recent origin. Two of its remaining trumps, the star and the sun, are not on the list. See Kaplan I, p. 99.

Of the nine remaining Goldschmidt cards, six might be trumps, but the images are so anomalous, bizarre and unidentifiable that this fragment can have no possible significance in evaluating the theory.

Another consideration is that the Fool is not a trump. The standard tarot trump sequence is 21 trumps and the Fool. Twenty-one was a magic and significant number long before the invention of tarot.

My own conclusion, as I have said elsewhere, is that the earliest period of tarot development was, like the present day, characterized by unrestrained and exuberant experimentation, improvisation, and artistic license. This is evidenced by the Cary-Yale deck, the Florentine Minchiate, the Sola-Busca cards, the all-"trumps" so-called Tarot of Mantegna, and others. Rather than looking for a system prior to about 1475, I think it's both easier and more sensible to conclude that there wasn't one.
[/B]

I'm not sure, how to interprete "there wasn't one". I would formulate, there were many systems, each with it's own idea and merits, but not each of them became a successful imitated version.

The following is an important observation: In autorbis opinion the numerology of the later Marseille deck was already given in the 14 Bembo-cards. With this 2/3 (idea to motifs and numbers related to motifs) of the later "famous Tarot" in 19th century were already manifested at the early stage.
So we really see with the 14 Bembo-cards the mother-deck of the later Tarot. The later addition couldn't change too much of the basic idea.

Ross G Caldwell

Re: OK, I'll try

Hi Dave -

catboxer said:

I don't have Kaplan II, so I'm not clear on which Fournier group you're referring to here. 15 surviving trumps would make it the second largest group of 15th century trumps. I am not aware of anyone calling into question the authenticity of the Fournier museum's trumps or other 15th century cards.

Kaplan I, (p. 117 in my French edition) shows 6 Fournier cards, including the Emperor and Papesse, all bought at the same time by the Fournier museum from a dealer in Milan in 1975. According to Dummet (Game of Tarot, p. 72 no. 13), the Papesse does not belong to the same pack as the other five, as her back is red and others are black, and she is "slightly, although visibly, smaller." He goes on suggest she may belong a pack that contained the King of Cups belonging to Mr. Biedak and a Jack of Batons belonging to Signora Marzoli (both pictured a little further on in my Kaplan, at the bottom of page 119).

Personally, I don't think the Papessa's face is badly rendered at all. :)

Ross

Kiama

This is all very interesting BUT.. I have a concern.

If the Tarot Trumps only number 14, the game doesn't work. Anybody here tried the game of Tarocchi? If so, which ones? You will see that when it comes to scoring and playing the game, most Tarocchi games require 22 Trumps. (Other than those with 36 cards, but that's less than the 5x14 theory.)

Why did the Duke originally order that Tarot deck? I find it very shakey to say he was th eone who invented it. So, it must have been around before that, even if only for a few years. And why was it around? What was it's purpose? Most likely, gaming. It seems that's what the Duke wanted it for anyway, since he asks that if the Tarocchi deck cannot be found, he wanted playing cards.

But if it really only had 70 cards, how would the game be played? It wouldn't work.

Now, this is based on assumptions, but I have tried to play Tarocchi with different rules and I've played around with the scoring, and there is no way I can see to make any kind of scoring fit with 70 cards. So, we can either assume:

a) The Duke invented Tarot
b) Tarot wasn't used as a game then
c) The game that we know now was totally different before the Duke ordered his decks.
d) Or there was a mistake in the Duke's letter that said 70 cards, and there really were 78.

And '8', if the hand is shakey, can easily look like a '0'. Or maybe the Duke just didn't know that much about the Triumphs, and got the numbering wrong, just as people do today when Tarot is so popular. (Usually I see people saying there are 72 cards in a deck.)

Anybody got any insights on this?

Kiama