When its for you as much as them...

FaeryGodmother

I'm curious as to other readers experiences on when you do a reading for other people and it seems to refer as much to yourself as the person you're reading for. I have had this happen to me heaps of times and I wonder about whether its just me? Does this happen to you? Is it rare or a regular experience for you? Is it synchronicity or what? Or am I just crazy and/ or self obessed????

rosesred

my personal belief: you can't pick up on anything that you haven't at least experienced in a mild form before. If you don't know what it's like to feel oggled at, you won't get the sexual abuse somebody's suffering, since there's just no reference in your system. I think you pick up on issues you relate to before you see the rest.

You're the filter for all your cards. It makes perfect sense to me that some of the readings have to do with you as much as the querant.

Grizabella

I agree with rosered. As humans, we've all experienced so many similar things that it's not at all surprising that we might identify strongly with the cards drawn for someone else. It just shows we have some things in common with that other person, and we can benefit from the reading just like they can.

RubyRuby

I agree as well. I think that's what makes Tarot, Tarot. The cards are based on typical human behaviour. Typically we all feel moments of joy, sorrow, sleepless nights etc.

I was actually thinking about the reverse of this a little while ago.

How would you / could you intuit cards, if you had nothing to reference from your own experience? And if you are limited in your own experiences, how do you become a more proficient reader?

Joermit

Interesting subject and one I certainly have experience with...

I think I did more readings for people going through a divorce while I was going through my own last year... seemed like almost everyone I read for what going through a divorce, or had just recently gotten one... it was like God/Spirit sent them to me and while I read for them, I was to listen and take heart... it was very interesting and quite profound... and now, a good year later... well, I can only remember reading for one person going through a divorce within the last month... lol... it's funny... I agree too... life experience makes all the difference.... helps to relate to the cards as you basically live them.....

Joey

jenessa

I agree whole-heartedly with what others have posted in reply to your question. & Like you, i went thru a period when i began to wonder IF the cards applied as much to me, as to the person i was reading for. So i became concerned that perhaps the deck was taking on its own energy (&/or that there was too much of my energy in the cards), and so decided to put the deck back into sequence before each & every reading, so as to avoid this possibility.

Further to which, i developed a system that i have people use when handling the cards before i read for THEM. I posted this in reply to a thread which appears on page 3 of the "using tarot cards" forum, entitled: "how random is your shuffle". & i believe i'm the last post on page 2 of this particular thread.

My experience reading for others is also such, that i think its insightful & otherwise can speak volumes, when a certain individual keeps drawing a reoccuring card. Or in otherwords, when you start from scratch every time you read for someone, AND this certain someone gets a reoccuring card time & time again, this can tell you alot about their circumstances &/or how their situation is progressing.

So aside from what others have posted re: tarots reflecting life's experiences .. & how a reader requires a certain point of reference so as to be able to identify with the cards, I also feel it is important to ENSURE that the deck is free of my energy each time cards are drawn for a reading.

FaeryGodmother

jenessa said:
... I also feel it is important to ENSURE that the deck is free of my energy each time cards are drawn for a reading.
Do you find that this reduces the feeling that the reading is as much about you?

jenessa

FaeryGodmother said:
Do you find that this reduces the feeling that the reading is as much about you?

DEFINITELY!! & I've noticed the "difference" ever since i started doing this. Or in otherwords & as i've indicated, i prepare for readings by putting the deck back into its orignal sequence .. so that every reading begins with a clean slate, so to speak. (Tho i should add, i generally do this "in advance" .. or in otherwords, "prior" to reading for someone).

SO as far as the possibility of my energy being transferred to the deck & othewise coming across in the reading, i try & avoid this by limiting my handling of the cards to this preparatory step.

THEN as my method is such, that the "only person" who shuffles the cards that are actually drawn & otherwise USED in the reading is the Querent, i feel that the cards that come up are intended for the person for whom i'm reading.

So basically my approach when reading for others, is to "limit my role" to the Art of Interpretation, in-so-far as i am "reading meaning" into the cards that the querent has drawn. Whereas, i have a seperate deck which i use when i'm reading for myself & which i alone "handle".

Also & as far as my "handling the deck" when i'm preparing the cards prior to a reading, it should be noted that when i put the deck back into order, i do so by placing all the cards in the upright position. So any reversals that appear in someones reading are a direct result of the querents handling of the cards, NOT mine!

Now i know nothing about "cleansing cards", tho i've read various threads in the forum on this subject .. but to my way of thinking, i am more or less cleansing the deck before each reading. << Leastways, i seem to "think" i am LOL.

More importantly & in answer to your question, i really notice the difference since i started doing this. Whereas for awhile there, it seemed to me that my readings were becoming redundant. Or in otherwords, it was almost like there was a reoccuring theme that kept coming across in the cards .. which i couldn't begin to figure out, as i was reading for different people. << So i had the feeling that the cards may have been speaking more to me, than reflecting the issues & life circumstances of those for whom i was reading. To my way of thinking .. reoccuring cards are one thing, but a reoccuring theme, (albeit with subtle variations), is quite another. << & This last observation, is what prompted me to reevaluate my "method for reading for others", and ultimately lead to my decision to change my approach.

floracove

It's happened with me, with almost every reading I've given, it was kinda spooky when I first started reading and realised it, and would raise an eye brow at the relation of it for me.
I've learned, or tried to learn to ignore it while I'm doing a reading for someone else, putting my own personal reference on the back burner, rather than like in the beginning, sitting there with a puzzled look on my face, and wonder if the querant has noticed my bewilderment.
Later, I might take the cards out, and see what comes up, other times, I just let it slide off my shoulder.

Actually, it's gotten easier for me to not pay that much attention to my simularities and concentrate on the querants reference.

It's nice to know I'm not the lone ranger in that sense.
;)

floracove

Although, there have been many times while I'm reading them, and trying to ignore their reference to me, they tug at me, like their saying, "Yes, I am talking to you as well, so listen up!" Those times are different, and I know them now, when I see/hear them.

When the cards have a message for me in them, as well as the querant, it's kinda hard to ignore them speaking with their outside voices...