When multiple readers are wrong

gregory

Sure - readers and readings can be wrong; I frequently am, and I don't even do true predictive readings - but equally the future is NOT predestined. We do have free will, which is why things CAN change.

Sirena84

People keep giving me the same example. I understand the premise - I just dont agree with it and see it as some type of cop out. As far as predicting things are concerned, I am of the old fashioned 'you got it right or got it wrong' school, that bases results on what actually did happen.

I never said anywhere in my post that readings or readers can't be wrong.. I just said I am open to the possibility that due to many factors involved in a reading and the outcome, the reading MIGHT not have been wrong.. (Might written in a capital letter), ie that i am open to all possibilities.. And also I did say that this solely my opinion as a person and was just sharing it.. I don't see things as black and white .. life isn't black and white.. but again this is me as a person and its not to say that I am correct..!!
And at the same time I am open to all other opinions that have been raised here and it is quite interesting reading them including yours ..everything we rely on in life are theories, and we can't explain them in full.. and its our personal beliefs and opinions that will define us at the end of the day and its what makes us different as readers.. :)

Sirena84

Just as a follow up from what I said above, just a thank you to Olivia for opening this post.. it is interesting reading everyone's opinions... and its a healthy things to re-evaluate certain things we hold true and perhaps try to see things with a different eye and hopefully apply.. Its all a learning process.. :) x

Barleywine

"Wisdom" often seems like magic, when it is a combination of experience, intelligence and knowledge. Tarot is never divorced from real life; it stands to reason that someone who has actually lived and has made mistakes and has had successes would be better at recognizing patterns.

Thanks for this. I had strong intuition and at least a modicum of half-baked wisdom long before I encountered tarot in my early 20's, but I never recognized it as an outgrowth of incipient pattern recognition. In restrospect, it makes sense that bright kids begin to order their personal worlds by noticing that most adults tend to move in predictable patterns (circles, maybe?), and then decide how to anticipate these comings-and-goings in order to successfully navigate the interstices, match speeds when it suits them, and go elliptical when the time is right. It might be argued, then, that heightened intuition is no more "magical" than evolved wisdom: it may be largely a product of successfully assimilated conditioning; native intelligence coupled with finely-honed observation skills and the ability to comprehend and anticipate patterns of behavior. Tarot then becomes a symbolic medium through which to focus these mental acuities in more abstract and broadly speculative ways.

Zephyros

I think it depends on what the definition of predictive actually is. The subject of patterns was discussed previously and they are the closest I get to predictive readings. Basically your behavior today, barring external influences or acts of God, determines the outcome tomorrow. If you eat too much now, you will have indigestion later. I don't have the ability or even wherewithal to do true predictions, it simply isn't me. In that sense my readings are always right, because I don't need to wait for something to happen to see if I am right, the querent is right there to tell me if they are "guilty" of this or that unhealthy behavior (which is what my reading style tends to concentrate on). If I am wrong, then I look at the reading from another angle, working with the sitter until we have a reading we are both satisfied with.

That reading style does have an element of prediction in it, but still does not fall into the realm of telling fortunes. I admire people like Grizabella who can confidently do that. I've never been able to. But then, I've never felt the need to, either, as I believe prescience is ultimately limited in its scope and usefulness (just read the first and second volumes of Dune for a full exploration of knowledge of the future).

Amanda

People keep giving me the same example. I understand the premise - I just dont agree with it and see it as some type of cop out. As far as predicting things are concerned, I am of the old fashioned 'you got it right or got it wrong' school, that bases results on what actually did happen.

Who cares what the reason was ? (I call it an excuse actually).

I agree with you about a prediction being right or wrong, but without trying to understand why something came about as right or wrong, then there can be no progress, can there? The OP stated in her opening post that she wanted to see which topics are more likely to be wrong amongst multiple readers. She apparently does not want an explanation as to how that comes to be for people, she just wants answers. Maybe you're okay with chalking it up to "Oh well, it's wrong and it is what it is and that's all there is to it" but while I am also perfectly capable of saying, "Well I was just flat out wrong" I may also attach a "Why" on the end there to improve my methods...

There's a difference between making excuses for why a reading was wrong and trying to understand why a reading was wrong for improvement...

This whole thread is moot. It should have been a poll because it clearly wasn't intended for open thought and discussion surrounding the subject matter described in the opening post; explanations to get to the sought-after answers don't appear to be acceptable either (at least, mine aren't, even though pretty much everyone in this thread did not directly answer the questions without supplying additional opinions/explanation right along with it).

olivia1

I agree with you about a prediction being right or wrong, but without trying to understand why something came about as right or wrong, then there can be no progress, can there? The OP stated in her opening post that she wanted to see which topics are more likely to be wrong amongst multiple readers. She apparently does not want an explanation as to how that comes to be for people, she just wants answers. Maybe you're okay with chalking it up to "Oh well, it's wrong and it is what it is and that's all there is to it" but while I am also perfectly capable of saying, "Well I was just flat out wrong" I may also attach a "Why" on the end there to improve my methods...

There's a difference between making excuses for why a reading was wrong and trying to understand why a reading was wrong for improvement...

This whole thread is moot. It should have been a poll because it clearly wasn't intended for open thought and discussion surrounding the subject matter described in the opening post; explanations to get to the sought-after answers don't appear to be acceptable either (at least, mine aren't, even though pretty much everyone in this thread did not directly answer the questions without supplying additional opinions/explanation right along with it).

Loads of people have answered the question. Sure they went on to explain their ideas but there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like anyone is hijacking the thread and people are learning. I initially didn't really care to hear theories and was frustrated that at first no one seemed to understand what I was trying to ask but after awhile my questions were answered. I think some of the posts are interesting. Even if I had just posted a poll ( though I think only subscribers can do that), I would *still* want to hear about people's experiences and stories they might want to share. I don't just strictly want numbers

Amanda

...In fact, I even stated *multiple* times i was more interested in hearing about instances when this happened rather than trying to find the reasoning behind it.

^^That's what I'm talking about.

olivia1

^^That's what I'm talking about.

it is only inherent that by the nature of a forum people will want to also offer their ideas behind why certain occurrences happen. as long as the orginal questions was answered, i dont believe there is anything wrong with expanding upon an answer to include ideas, etc. though the main idea when i started this thread was to get an idea of how many times certain things happened, i also made it clear (through subsequent posts) that i wanted to hear people's stories. Or i hope i made it clear. if i havent, i hope it is clear now. i have learned a lot from this thread and others have as well. so its unfair to discount the whole thread and people's input by saying its moot...

Amanda

it is only inherent that by the nature of a forum people will want to also offer their ideas behind why certain occurrences happen. as long as the orginal questions was answered, i dont believe there is anything wrong with expanding upon an answer to include ideas, etc. though the main idea when i started this thread was to get an idea of how many times certain things happened, i also made it clear (through subsequent posts) that i wanted to hear people's stories. Or i hope i made it clear. if i havent, i hope it is clear now. i have learned a lot from this thread and others have as well. so its unfair to discount the whole thread and people's input by saying its moot...

No, you weren't clear -- but yes, you are now.
I'm glad that you've changed your mind and have come around to furthering the discussion outside of your original parameters and that everyone in this thread took it upon themselves to step in and share and to help you see that there was so much more to your question.