While Reading for others, you find your own answers from their cards?

The Kiwi

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen before.

I'm sure all of us have experienced the same card showing up over and over in one of our own spreads, the Tarot asking us to pay attention to it. You find it flying out of your deck when you shuffle, or coming up repeatedly. But, what about it showing up while you are reading for others?

I'm not talking about doing multiple readings for one person, and a card showing up repeatedly. Obviously that card is important to the enquirer. But that of which a card shows up repeatedly while reading for more than one person.

For Example, on an exchange thread I had two people ask two different questions. I used a different deck for both of them, but both received the same card. Back to back. Now I cannot see how the two would be related, other than it's related to myself.

Any ideas?
I simply cannot accept it being a coincidence.

Arania

I would see this as a coincidence unless the same card shows up in readings for yourself and in about every reading you do for others. In which case I would take it to mean not to read for others for a bit and find out what it is you are being told first.

I had that happen last summer and for me it meant taking a break form Tarot and do a few other things I had neglected.

tarotbear

For Example, on an exchange thread I had two people ask two different questions. I used a different deck for both of them, but both received the same card. Back to back. Now I cannot see how the two would be related, other than it's related to myself.

I just want to comment that in my personal theory of why tarot works - the answer here is that YOU did the shuffling for both decks even though you were doing a reading exchange for someone else.

If you had done face-to-face readings for these two people (with two different decks) and they did the shuffling - and that same card that is stalking you showed up - I would say it is merely coincidence; it is a part of their reading.

This is why (under most circumstances) I ALWAYS feel that the Querent should be the one to shuffle the cards so their energy directly influences the reading, not their energy using you as a conduit so your energy has done 'filtering' on theirs.

Trogon

I would agree with both Arania and TarotBear. The reading is for the querent and that particular card was meant to come up for them. I have had similar circumstances where a given card came up in readings for other folks, but I always read it as part of their reading.

If, on the other hand, you do several readings for yourself, say several daily readings, and you're getting the same card ... then I would say it is significant for you. Then you'll want to maybe meditate on it, or even do a reading on why you may be getting that card.

The Kiwi

I just want to comment that in my personal theory of why tarot works - the answer here is that YOU did the shuffling for both decks even though you were doing a reading exchange for someone else.
This is what has prompted my question. The deck, although I inquired for someone else, is full of my energy. If I'm noticing patterns that should not be related, the realistic conclusion would be the patterns pertain to me.

If you had done face-to-face readings for these two people (with two different decks) and they did the shuffling - and that same card that is stalking you showed up - I would say it is merely coincidence; it is a part of their reading.

This is why (under most circumstances) I ALWAYS feel that the Querent should be the one to shuffle the cards so their energy directly influences the reading, not their energy using you as a conduit so your energy has done 'filtering' on theirs.

I'm not very skilled in reading for others yet, I still need to reference notes often and feel like doing so while reading for others loses it's merit. However, when I do start to read for others i will be adopting this method of shuffling.

Thank you guys.

WyrdRaven

There is a very good example of this in "Speak Daggers to Her," a novel included in "Bell, Book and Murder" by Rosemary Edghill. The tarot is shouting at you while you are in the midst of doing readings for others. Yes, I'm definitely open to the concept. But it must be quite an emergency for the card to appear that way.

Chronata

If the tarot wants to get my attention while I'm reading for others, it usually does it by pushing cards at me...in other words, cards will leap out of the deck while shuffling, or somehow end up on the floor(though I am careful to not drop them!)

Otherwise, I probably would never think the message was for me.

(sometimes it will "warn" me about a difficult client before I start laying down the cards, by throwing the 4 of pents or the four of cups out of the deck)

It seems like I always get the same cards coming up in a round of readings(like during an event) but rarely are they messages for me...rather they appear to be a universal theme.

We joke now about what the theme of the evening is going to be before we begin...because we get a lot of the same questions from people...and consequently a lot of the same cards will show up.

The last event I did, the theme was all about taking relationships to the next level...before that it was people starting (or wanting to start) new businesses.
Of course not EVERYONE had these concerns...but usually it's about half the readings.

I am not sure why this happens this way...but it's interesting that it does.

Legion

In tarot terms, when reading yourself in someone elses terms, you draw energi from the cards for your own purposes, which is likely to disturb their reading, and will give less accurate results for your querent. You may have the same question as the querrent, but if that is the case, read yourself later, or ask someone else to read for you.

MaineGirl117

I'm with Chronata in that: often the cards are speaking of Universal Truths that would be applicable to any querant, and the reader. If you found a solution to your problem in someone else's reading, then there was something a little extra for you in the draw. I do not find this impossible.

A very skilled Tarot Reader that I know will sometimes post a picture of a person's readings and ask his friends "What message do you see for yourself in the cards?" He uses the whole deck and picks out patterns in the cards to interpret his readings. There is often an animated discussion involving many people who find a particular message in the cards (drawn for somebody else) for themselves.

I think it's important that, if you *feel* like there was a special message in that card for you, then you go with your gut.

Grizabella

I'm with Chronata and MaineGirl. None of us is unique. We all live similar lives in many ways, have common feelings and circumstances occurring for us. It's not at all surprising if you see cards appearing for others that hold answers in your own case, too. It would be more surprising if you didn't see this.

For me, when I've found myself noticing this too much, I just kind of give myself a redirect and remind myself to focus because it shows I'm letting my mind stray off the subject I'm supposed to be concentrating on.