Why was I ever afraid of this deck?

Carla

Stick with the Thoth and you will get used to Crowley's humour. You may even come to like it. })

Oh how horrible!

But wait! It gets worse! :bugeyed:

There's a big gaping vagina on the Universe card. And if that wasn't bad enough there's another one on the Ace of Disks........ and there's a cock in it! EEEWW!

Welcome to the world of Thoth. :laugh:

LOL. Well, it wasn't so much the penis jokes that bothered me about the deck. I just thought the imagery was sinister. You have to understand, when I first started with tarot, a pentacle frightened me, can you believe. I had problems dealing with the RWS devil card! I nearly passed out when I saw the Morgan Greer devil card. LOL Wow, I've changed a lot. Tarot and magic -- they've corrupted me!

Flaxen

Congratulations on getting your first Thoth, Carla. I absolutely adore this deck and quite enjoy Crowley's subversive humour. :) He was an extremely intelligent man (just read the Book of Thoth to give you an idea) with some character flaws just like the rest of us. The philosophy behind Thoth is a positive and empowering one - enjoy exploring it.

Aeon418

LOL. Well, it wasn't so much the penis jokes that bothered me about the deck. I just thought the imagery was sinister. You have to understand, when I first started with tarot, a pentacle frightened me, can you believe. I had problems dealing with the RWS devil card! I nearly passed out when I saw the Morgan Greer devil card. LOL Wow, I've changed a lot. Tarot and magic -- they've corrupted me!
I think you've picked the right card to begin your Thoth adventure. The Devil is the scapegoat that we traditionally project fears and worries onto. As long as those fears rule us, we're shackled to him. But of course the Devil, like our fears, is never quite what he seems. For every negative obstacle that he could represent is also a positive opportunity for growth and development. This is why the Thoth Devil is also a card of great creativity and energy. And after the all the obstacles have be been cleared we can turn around and see things in their proper perspective once more. Those mountains were mole hills all along, and the Devil has a grin on his face and invites us to share the big joke. For the Devil is also the card of humour and mirth. After all, cocks are funny. Just ask Priapus. :laugh: })

Le Fanu

Every time I take out one of my Thoth decks, I wonder why I have any others!
That's exactly what I think. In fact, buying different editions of the Thoth thrills me much more than buying new decks. I've lost count of how many different editions and sizes and back ups I have! I'm actually relatively new to the Thoth. I've been into tarot for almost 30 years, but only recently did it feel right to approach the Thoth!

But the Thoth rules. I have to take breaks from it. Then I return to it anew and there is the next fresh layer awaiting me. And it is bottomless. I feel so soothed by the thought that for the rest of my life this deck will accompany me and each year I will come to it from a different perspective. And all that stuff for me to understand one day! All that stuff waiting for me! And I shall never be bored!

I admire Crowley enormously. The anecdotes & rumours don't sway me away from the fact that he was a great man (a great intellect, that goes without saying) with a great appetite for life, and he loved men and women with such intensity. That lustiness and energy and vibrancy shines out of the Thoth deck with such force.

Do not be intimidated by what you may feel you have to learn or read. Wherever you are on your tarot journey, the Thoth will meet you there.

Flaxen

Wherever you are on your tarot journey, the Thoth will meet you there.

Wise words indeed. :thumbsup:

What I love about it is: if you want an intellectual stretch, it will provide it but if you want to use a more 'intuitive' approach, there is a wealth of detail in the cards. I re-read the Book of Thoth every year and each time something new jumps out at me which deepens my understanding. I still feel I have a long way to go though! :)

The Thoth is like a good wine or fine cheese - the longer you spend with it, the more rewarding it becomes. This deck has quite a few of my all-time favourite cards.

Chiska

Be careful, Carla, lest you travel down the Thoth Completionist Road. Le Fanu is well on his way. I am just starting out...

I just got a complete deck: the 78 cards, the OTO card, the Unicursal Hexagram card (black), and the blank card. And it is a lovely shade of green - darker than my other greenie. One is minty pastel green and the other is darker.

6 Thoths - one more and I will have one for each day of the week! :)

Always Wondering

I was the same way when I started. We've been conditioned to react that way. Now I get a huge chuckle out of the where's waldo's penis game. I'm sure that says something about be too. :|

:laugh:

AW

Freddie

I like the female downstairs bits on 'The Sun' card with the Gemini twins coming out.

Freddie

Bhavana

Was in Philadelphia yesterday, awesome bookstore on South Street that I haven't been to in years, and they had the smaller size Thoth. I decided it was time to take the plunge.

I like the deck. The art is intrigueing....though I think the colors in my cards seem more washed out than pics I have seen of them inline and elsewhere. And I hate the way they have the the majors names and minors keywords superimposed over the type "trumps" or suites.
I bought the deck alone, though they had a set, but the set and the deck alone were the same price, so I thought maybe the cards in the set were going to be too small...
I also found the cards to be a little on the thin side for a USGames deck....but for the most part, I am very pleased with the deck and looking forward to working with it.

Anyway - advice!! Where is a good place to start with this deck as a beginner? I don't have a book, so what is recommended? I want something simple and to the point, not a whole lot of mumbo jumbo spiritual crap (a little mumbo jumbo is okay). I already have a pretty good grasp on astrology.

Any advice would be appreciated!!