Why was I ever afraid of this deck?

Zephyros

I`ve been reading for almost twenty years، and with the Thoth for about five، but only a few months ago I decided I really want to"get it." The problem is, I have no idea when or even if I`ll be done with it. I still use other, RWS decks occasionally، but without a doubt the Thoth is "my" like no other is. I was never actually afraid of it, being blissfully unaware of Crowley`s reputation, but I was intimidated, being warned that it was not for beginners, but the best thing for it was just to jump in the deep end.

Carla

Ha! It took me two years(ish) from starting this thread to actually using the Thoth. It is an amazing deck. I've been using it exclusively, including readings for clients, for several weeks now. I've read two books (Zeigler and DuQuette) and a biography of Crowley (A Magick Life). I've read Chicken Qabalah. I've bought a second (larger) copy of the deck. I think I've started down the Thoth path. First tentative steps, at least.

daphne

So today, when I opened the deck, I was prepared to dislike it. But guess what. The colours are beautiful. The art is amazing. After all the time I've spent looking at RWS, and even TdM, I can see what's going on in the majors, I think. It's like the majors refracted through prisms. I am looking forward to working with the deck. It feels nice in the hand. The cards are just the right size, the card stock shuffles beautifully. The thing stinks to high heaven, though. You'd have thought it was a Meuller deck, I had to keep checking the box to see that it's US Games.

Carla, what printing is this? I am looking for a beautiful colored Thoth but I cannot find it.
You said you like the colors on your copy.
Can you please share a picture of the box, or the isbn?

Carla

Carla, what printing is this? I am looking for a beautiful colored Thoth but I cannot find it.
You said you like the colors on your copy.
Can you please share a picture of the box, or the isbn?

It was just a plain little purple box Thoth. I've since bought the green box Thoth which I like fine. Some people say the 1986 edition in the blue box is the best coloured. :) I don't have it.

Richard

Purple box deck: Slight smell like old paper, not objectionable.
Green box deck: No perceptible smell. Colors slightly richer than purple box deck.

Attachments

• prplgrn.jpg
    prplgrn.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 98

daphne

Thank you, Carla.

And thank you LRichard for the isbn`s and pictures!!! I really appreciate it. I will have to get a green box, then!