Why was I ever afraid of this deck?

Craxiette

Bhavana,
When I first got the Thoth deck, this was my favourite site http://www.corax.com/tarot/
It is simple, straight to the point and just the right amount of "spiritual mumbo jumbo" for a beginner ;)

PathWalker

Thank you for that site link Craxiette, not one I seen before, and very straightfoward.
Pathwalker

Craxiette

I'm glad you find it helpful PathWalker :)
There is a very beautiful astrological chart with the court cards in the zodiac there -I printed it out and put it on the bathroom wall so that I can revise them when I am in there...not so spiritual perhaps, but very practical indeed :laugh:

Bhavana

I'm glad you find it helpful PathWalker :)
There is a very beautiful astrological chart with the court cards in the zodiac there -I printed it out and put it on the bathroom wall so that I can revise them when I am in there...not so spiritual perhaps, but very practical indeed :laugh:

AH, very smart. when in nursing school, I had cheat sheets taped all over the house, and TWO of them in the bathroom. Not a moment wasted that I could be studying! Thanks for the link to that site, will take a look!

wulzcat

Dragging this thread bac from the dead... :)

I too was afraid of my Thoth deck, and just dug it out after years of it living quietly in a box with some other unloved Tarot decks... when I got it out this evening (actually with the idea of using it as an 'extra' deck for timed readings), I was immediately struck with both the inappropiateness of using such a deck for timings, and also with that same fear of the deck... the pictures, I always thought, were scary.

Now I've done a couple of quick readings and already I love it... am going to get stuck in and really learn them. I already know astrological symbolism so that helps. It's an incredible deck, perhaps you need to be ready for it... :D

Zezina

I like the female downstairs bits on 'The Sun' card with the Gemini twins coming out.

Duh!

When am I EVER going to get to the bottom of this deck?

*Z*

Chiska

Duh!

When am I EVER going to get to the bottom of this deck?

*Z*

Never. That is what makes it so wondrous. There is always something to explore.

Cassandra022

Never. That is what makes it so wondrous. There is always something to explore.

Chiska, since it was kinda mentioned way earlier on in the thread, i'm going to say...even though i have a perfectly nice, very customized trimmed and gilted thoth...your thoth blog post has me pining after an 80's printed edition :0

Chiska

Chiska, since it was kinda mentioned way earlier on in the thread, i'm going to say...even though i have a perfectly nice, very customized trimmed and gilted thoth...your thoth blog post has me pining after an 80's printed edition :0

They do have a lovely, waxy feel about them. I need to get back to my serious Thoth study - but I seem to do that more in the summer when I can be outside.

Terrapin

The Thoth is like a good wine or fine cheese - the longer you spend with it, the more rewarding it becomes. This deck has quite a few of my all-time favourite cards.

I agree about the all-time favorite cards. The Empress, Devil and Hierophant are just ultra beautiful and rank among my faves. Lovely.