Wirth-influenced decks

Bhavana

I once had the US Games Oswald Wirth deck, it was actually my first, and it had metallic paint backgrounds and was really ugly. Good thing I found other decks otherwise I wouldn't be here at all. I subsequently gave it away. Does anyone have it? How "Wirth" is it?

Is the following the US Games Oswald Wirth Deck? Someone I know locally is selling it for $10, in like new condition - I was planning on getting it, and was curious if it was worth more than that.

Attachments

• oswald wirth.jpg
    oswald wirth.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 152

Teheuti

Is the following the US Games Oswald Wirth Deck? Someone I know locally is selling it for $10, in like new condition - I was planning on getting it, and was curious if it was worth more than that.
Yes, that's the one. It's showing the 2 of Wands through the box window cutout. My box is blue, however. It could be either a later edition or an edition distributed in Europe by Agmuller who actually produced the deck. It was only distributed by USGames. I have no idea what the current worth of the deck is. Do a web search to see what turns up.

Bhavana

Yes, that's the one. It's showing the 2 of Wands through the box window cutout. My box is blue, however. It could be either a later edition or an edition distributed in Europe by Agmuller who actually produced the deck. It was only distributed by USGames. I have no idea what the current worth of the deck is. Do a web search to see what turns up.

thanks for your reply. I figured it was the USGames version. I did do a web search, can't seem to find any information on the value. I am going to get it anyway, as I don't have any wirth decks - nor any that seem influenced by Wirth. And i don't find it all that ugly!

Freddie

Hi Bhavana,

I quite like this pack, in fact I am it using as we speak. I would describe it as my workhorse deck and my favourite 78 card Tarot deck of all time. It seems to be out out of print right now and I am trying to find out why as it seems to be a popular deck in Europe. I will report back here if I can get Agmuller or US Games to offer any information on when it will be printed again.

I think in Europe it is viewed quite simply as a variation on 'Tarot De Marseille', but the hyperbole on the Us Games box states it is 'The only authorized Wirth deck' and this has opened the door to much unfounded criticism. This is not the first time US Games has mislead the general public with unfactual claims, but this doesn't mean the deck is rubbish. It a redrawn Wirth influenced deck from France and in my opinion it is just a faux woodcut version of his images backed on iconic gold with tasteful matching minor arcana (based on his classic 1926-27 deck). The minor arcana is lovely and much akin to the 'Tarot De Marseille' tradition. The backs are a little old fashioned, but not as bad as some older decks that I have seen.

The gold/bronze in the deck doesn't scan well so keep in mind they are not as dark as these examples.

Freddie

Attachments

• 18-Major-Moon.jpg
    18-Major-Moon.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 40-Minor-Swords-05.jpg
    40-Minor-Swords-05.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 48-Minor-Swords-Queen.jpg
    48-Minor-Swords-Queen.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 61-Minor-Cups-Knight.jpg
    61-Minor-Cups-Knight.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 63-Minor-Cups-King.jpg
    63-Minor-Cups-King.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 103

Teheuti

I quite like this pack, in fact I am it using as we speak. I would describe it as my workhorse deck and my favourite 78 card Tarot deck of all time.
I said some pretty bad things about it earlier in this thread, and I must apologize. You are right, Freddie. It's a nice Wirth variation. I guess I just became so enamored of the original Wirth decks that I found this one overdone, when it is really not all that bad. It's great to hear from someone who uses it regularly and truly appreciates it.

Zephyros

I think it might be. I'm kind of biased against it, as it was my first deck, bought when I had no idea what Tarot was, but if you're the kind that wants a really complete collection, then get it by all means. In any case, I thought it was really, really ugly, and those metallic backgrounds do absolutely nothing for it. If it's worth more then I'm sorry I gave it away :)

Freddie

I said some pretty bad things about it earlier in this thread, and I must apologize. You are right, Freddie. It's a nice Wirth variation. I guess I just became so enamored of the original Wirth decks that I found this one overdone, when it is really not all that bad. It's great to hear from someone who uses it regularly and truly appreciates it.

You are just fine and you didn't say anything horrible about the deck. Is there a Wirth version you favor?

Freddie

I think it might be. I'm kind of biased against it, as it was my first deck, bought when I had no idea what Tarot was, but if you're the kind that wants a really complete collection, then get it by all means. In any case, I thought it was really, really ugly, and those metallic backgrounds do absolutely nothing for it. If it's worth more then I'm sorry I gave it away :)

Hey one persons junk is anothers treasure lol. I'm glad we have so much choice and a good trading section here.

Freddie

Bhavana

Hi Bhavana,

I quite like this pack, in fact I am it using as we speak. I would describe it as my workhorse deck and my favourite 78 card Tarot deck of all time. It seems to be out out of print right now and I am trying to find out why as it seems to be a popular deck in Europe. I will report back here if I can get Agmuller or US Games to offer any information on when it will be printed again.

I think in Europe it is viewed quite simply as a variation on 'Tarot De Marseille', but the hyperbole on the Us Games box states it is 'The only authorized Wirth deck' and this has opened the door to much unfounded criticism. This is not the first time US Games has mislead the general public with unfactual claims, but this doesn't mean the deck is rubbish. It a redrawn Wirth influenced deck from France and in my opinion it is just a faux woodcut version of his images backed on iconic gold with tasteful matching minor arcana (based on his classic 1926-27 deck). The minor arcana is lovely and much akin to the 'Tarot De Marseille' tradition. The backs are a little old fashioned, but not as bad as some older decks that I have seen.

The gold/bronze in the deck doesn't scan well so keep in mind they are not as dark as these examples.

Freddie

Freddie, thanks for the scans and for the info on this deck! I am meeting the guy selling it at a Walgreens in a town half way between both our homes next Wednesday to purchase it...(hopefully he is not some ax murderer masquerading as a tarot deck seller) He has a vintage Sacred Rose and a Mayan deck too....but this Wirth deck is the one I really want. I don't have many historical type decks - the closest I do have to them is the Dame Fortune's Wheel - if that even counts! Besides, I don't really take people's opinions to heart. It works both ways - there are many decks I find totally beneath my regard that others love.
I really appreciate the scans of the cards, gives me a good idea of what to expect - thanks again!

kenji

1890s? - Yale University, Beinecke Library, Cary Collection,1889 Wirth-style deck with hand-written astrological signs and divinatory meanings. Kaplan, Encyclopedia of Tarot, Vol. 2 says they are inspired by Wirth.
Here are the links to the images: 1 - 9 10 - 18 19 - 21 & LE FOU. Keller's catalogue says about this deck as follows: "88 x 52 mm. Pen and ink, hand coloration. Back plain. Square borders, square corners."

I second Mr Kaplan. Though the pictures are in B/W, it can be seen that the colour scheme of this deck is quite different from that of 1889 (and besides 1926) Wirth deck(s). Just for example, in LE JUDGEMENT of this deck the angel's cap and sleeves and the banner's field are obviously all in different colours, unlike 1889 and 1926 decks (each all in the same red).
c0b3414d91bade59d0ccc528db86d722.jpg
8b7c53a8710ea19b4527d54b9d28d3ee.jpg
00b9ae77071e00ed04242bcee5f2de30.jpg

There are so many other examples.

So I suspect this deck was made by someone else after the B/W drawings of Wirth deck in Papus' book, perhaps referring to some other deck as to colours.