XVI - La Maison Diev

Melanchollic

Rosanne said:
Whatever- I think the image shows permanent destruction from what ever perspective.
~Rosanne

Certainly a 'do-able' perspective. If the image did evolve from the 'Harrowing of Hell' theme, then Christ, at the end of times, will permanently put the limbo and purgatory branches of the Devil's operation out of business.

I always get a giggle from the Geofroy image. It looks like that demon is hauling that poor gal off right in the middle of her violin recital. Now that's what I call good demoning! :D ~ ti hi hi hi..

Bernice

Hello Rosanne and Mel,

Very informative discussion here - thank you :)

Let me get this right. Limbo, Purgatory (and possibly other places) are areas of Hell.
The Tower shows a hellish-type of event or situation, therefore The Tower probably is:-

a) Sudden or unexpected change of life-experience with a loss of previous conditions.
b) Not a desirable place or position to be in.
c) Not an 'end' of life-experience. Something that has to be lived through....?

Bee :)

Later:

In all the images the Tower is made untenable (...spelled that right?).
However, it's interesting that only 2 of the Tower patterns show falling figures.

And this very early deck has no figures at all:
Mel: The so-called Gringonneur (1450? Handpainted) I believe this is the oldest known version of this trump - A stone tower whose walls are cracking while flames disintergrate the upper turrents. A possible hint of lightning. No figures. (Kaplan I, pp.115)

What, I wonder, does the burning Tower actually represent - with or without figures, lightening, or little balls?
I'm thinking that this 'burning' is maybe the crux of it's meaning.

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
In all the images the Tower is made untenable (...spelled that right?).
However, it's interesting that only 2 of the Tower patterns show falling figures.

And this very early deck has no figures at all:

What, I wonder, does the burning Tower actually represent - with or without figures, lightening, or little balls?
I'm thinking that this 'burning' is maybe the crux of it's meaning.

Add to this the fact that the card was originally called 'Fire' and 'House of the Devil' (aka Hell), and we've got one hot topic! :D

Bernice

Mel: Add to this the fact that the card was originally called 'Fire' and 'House of the Devil' (aka Hell), and we've got one hot topic!

Agreed. :)
So......... I wonder why they depicted a Tower, not a 'house', 'castle', or other living acommadation. Is there anything specific about a Tower?

Also in the earlyist image (fire plus cracking walls), it seems to be an internal event....

And - this tickles me - if Hell is = fire, sulpher & brimstone. Then scientifically speaking, Heaven is hotter than Hell. (Chuckle).

Bernice

Mel: Add to this the fact that the card was originally called 'Fire' and 'House of the Devil' (aka Hell)

This card (Fire etc) was it numbered or in an obvious deck sequence?
Just wondering.........

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
This card (Fire etc) was it numbered or in an obvious deck sequence?
Just wondering.........

Hi Bee,

All the known early orders place the 'Tower' after the 'Devil', and before the three celestial orbs.

As for numbering -

• Sermones de Ludo Cum Aliis - #15
  • Dick Sheet - #14
  • Pomeran - not numbered
  • G. Bertoni - not numbered
  • G. Susio - not numbered
  • Garzoni - not numbered
  • Geofroy - #16
  • Vieville - #16
  • Parisian - #16

Paul

This may have been intimated or explicated or otherwise elucidated (there were 12 pages in this thread, and it's late)...but, from an esoteric point of view, this image of "Christ" liberating souls from the "prison" of Hell certainly echoes the esoteric idea of the Christ or Higher/Holy Spirit liberating consciousness from the prison of the body, as possible while in the flesh.

This interpretation would not so much ignore the Medieval imagery as plain to see, but would be in tandem with coded hermetic layers of meaning in such "Christian" art, wherein a cigar is more than a cigar, if you catch my drift. Even if a layperson Christian would see this picture one way, an initiated person of the day might see another image, entirely.

Harrowhell.jpg

kwaw

XVI. House of God

House of God

Your church, your synagogue, your mosque
stone by stone by 'righteous' passion rent,
dismembered to the cornerstone;
the blessed oil of its anointment
washed away with blood and curses.

Behold proud citizens of authenti-
City, our house of gods, our vain
idols of hateful self validity;