Your Favorite Lenormand?

kalliope

Hopefully someone can pipe in on this-

If you were to compare the Mertz, Gluck and Game of Hope lenormands- which do you prefer and why?

I have the Mertz and Gluck. At first I definitely liked the Mertz better, but over time I have gravitated to the Gluck and it's become my favorite. Something about its tall-and-skinny shape is appealing, the cardstock is fantastic as Nina said, and I also like that the blacks are blacker than on the Mertz, giving it higher contrast while still appearing old. The cards look elegant when laid out. I also prefer the more neutral and slightly less yellow tone of the Gluck cards.

I did have to get used to the bad Mice and Whip cards, but once I got over that I hardly notice them anymore. The Bear is another funny one -- it almost looks more like a boar. :laugh: But then again, the Clouds card in the Mertz is terrible to me -- it looks like a sea instead (like a Ship card without a ship!) And the Mertz Bear has a funny mouth and isn't much better than the Gluck. :D So...they all have quirky issues.

I do wish the Mertz had a color on the back, but the plain cream doesn't bother me much. The Gluck has plain dark blue backs, and pointed corners as well, which some people may not like (but you can always round them.)

Over all though, they're both really nice decks. I'm very tempted by the Game of Hope deck, but like you I'm not sure how I feel about the double inserts. Sometimes I find them charming, sometimes I find them crowded.

kalliope

I have a request for those of you with the Dutch Lenormand. Do any of you have any photos that you've taken of spreads you've done, even just cell phone pics you snapped for your own records?

I'd like to get a sense of how the red looks in a real space, on a real table, i.e. not scanned.

Anyone?

Penthasilia

Thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like, in the end, I will be getting all 3.

Can anyone tell me, regarding the Mertz, is there an ISBN that I can have to make sure I am getting the correct item?

I get a red book and blue book popping up on my Amazon hit list- don't know which one is the correct version.

Thanks to Le Fanu posting the ISBN for the Gluck, I have that one already. :)

And Tag's site- the home of my future deprivation of money.... have that one as well. :p

All systems- check!

;)

MoonGypsy

Thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like, in the end, I will be getting all 3.

Can anyone tell me, regarding the Mertz, is there an ISBN that I can have to make sure I am getting the correct item?

I get a red book and blue book popping up on my Amazon hit list- don't know which one is the correct version.

Thanks to Le Fanu posting the ISBN for the Gluck, I have that one already. :)

And Tag's site- the home of my future deprivation of money.... have that one as well. :p

All systems- check!

;)

i will have the Mertz ISBN for you momentarily...

ETA: i have the red one:
ISBN-10: 351706775X

Penthasilia

i will have the Mertz ISBN for you momentarily...

ETA: i have red one:
ISBN-10: 351706775X

Awesome- thanks sis!

This is a dangerous thread! })

Evil people! :p

I love you all!

:D

greatdane

and it's not enabling at all for newbies....

much...as I check out each post and link

Penthasilia

much...as I check out each post and link

I totally get you there!

When it comes to sheer beauty- the Dondorf wins. The Owls, Piatnik, etc- they don't come close to the simple elegance of the Dondorf.

Why am I nuts about these Ugly Betty decks?

It peaks the strings of my historical research passion- especially the Game of Hope. And the new book found by Mary Greer and folks that is even OLDER- with cute little phrases in English to boot!

I will want them to cherish, tuck on a warm night. And, may even end up loving them like I do my Visconti and use them quite frequently.

But- nuts to bolts (at least for now) the Dondorf wins my heart. I can't wait to order the one from Tag's site. I just find them so beautiful. Don't know if you clicked on that link yet- but here it is:

http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com/product/purple-dragon-dondorf-full-size

Makes me swoon, get the smelling salts! That deck is just so absolutely gorgeous! :heart:

ETA: So I guess that makes my top 2 favs the Under the Roses and Dondorf. :)

Rhinemaiden

To keep this on topic, my current favorite is the Judith Bartschi Lenormand.

Does anyone else feel the Lenormand market is over saturated?

Penthasilia

Does anyone else feel the Lenormand market is over saturated?

To be honest- I had initial thoughts that way- but then I realized that back in the 80's- people were saying the same thing about tarot.

I don't think there is over saturation- perhaps more of an explosion than anything else. That may or may not lead to the multitude of variations/themes seen in tarot, i.e. historical reproductions, like the Dondorf or Game of Hope, as well as themes- such as the Marseille, Pixie, Noir and such.

I like that the explosion has led to greater historical discoveries- as well as new and improved art coming through. :)