Your most mysterious deck?

firemaiden

Some decks are sort of prosaic, some are comical, some are downright silly, but some are mysterious, some invoke a feeling of there being lots of secret magic in them. Which deck feels the most "mysterious" or "magical" or "mysterious and magical" to you?

Papageno

this was my response to the "weird deck" thread so it pretty much applies here as well.

I guess my favorite "unusual" deck is the Tarocchi della Luna (pub. Atman - Laura Verzellesi), a 44 card deck which I've dubbed my Koyaanisqatsi Tarot.

it's a edgy and strangely illustrated set of mirror image Majors portraying both the natural state of existence and a frightening view of the Majors in their "reversed" states.
The artist has succeeded in vividly contrasting the destructive perversity of the Majors in a wanton state to the more reassuring and familiar Major Arcana archetypes we're all familiar with.
Death has ceased to be the crucible of change, the cycle has been disrupted, the natural order of life is out of control and the forces of Nature and the Cosmos are running amuk. It's like a butterfly effect of monstorous proportion.
The Sun consumes all with it's flame, the Hermit is lost, he has faltered and dropped his lantern, the Lion has triumphed bloodily in La Forza and so on.
this is one of the only decks that actually sends a shiver through me.

the book is in Italian without translation, but you don't need it, the images speak volumes and that's what a great tarot deck is supposed to do.
it's not the prettiest tarot art but I think it's profound.

Mi-Shell

Hi There!
For me my new Ironwing Tarot baffles and mystifies me!
It is an artist's view of the Tarot and the mystery of shamanism explored through the blacksmith trade. -
Only the mayors are enhanced with monochromatic earthcolours, the courts and minors are bw. reason - or excuse enough for me to paint them!
Check out our study group about it and the artist's site!
All the cards are there! the courts are called Spirit guides and are worthy of a peek.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=980679
http://www.mineralarts.com/artwork/IronwingMajors.html

euripides

I find many of the cards in the Arthurian (Matthews/Miranda Gray) have an otherworldly feel to them, especially the standing stones.

I'd have thought the Old Path would have, but it doesn't. Still like it though.

firemaiden

Wow, I took at the Ironwing, that *is* delightfully weird!

I think for me the most mysterious and magical remaings forever the Thoth.

Abrac

The Sola-Busca.

shadowdancer

I guess I would have to say the Gothic Vargo just at first thought.

Another which really gets me having to dig deep, even though the images are quite stark is the Rohrig.
Looking at the deck you think 'yep got you sussed' then when it comes to readings I have to really dig deep - and I mean REALLY dig deep to get the vibe.

Davina

Nina*

The Thoth.

It was my first deck about 10 years ago and I guess, I never took the time to really figure it out, but it still gives me that wow-this-is-tarot-and-mysterious-feeling.

WolfSpirit

Tarot of the Spirit.
As I said in another thread here - I find some of the majors so-so, but the minors make up for that.
I would not say it is pretty, but very evocative. Every card tells so much.

Rosanne

Everytime I get a new deck, it is mysterious for a while, and the latest mystery is the Tarot de La rea. On saying that, one that has remained seriously mysterious is The Alchemical by Place and Guiley. I know something of Alchemy but not its subtlety in this deck as a sequence. I keep thinking to devote more time but other gems keep getting in the way. For me that also means buying more explicit books on the subject, so till I do it remains elusively, captivatingly, mysterious. ~Rosanne