Yucky LS backs!

The 78th Fool

Scion said:
I don't even know if full 4-color is completely necessary, but relevant design would go a long way towards improvement. After executing 78 pieces of artwork, your artists could complete the job with a single reversible image, which after all, folks are going to look at more than any other. People respond to backs even subconsciously; the Magic Realist backs are a case in point: stylish, simple, and consonant with their individual decks.

On the other hand, I'd say the Dante and Gay Tarot backs are two of your most successful backs because they are in keeping with the feel of the artwork, and convey the tone of the entire deck... so that the cards work as a whole when spread. And I agree with Gregory, the recent Universal Marseille is also lovely.

I'll add my voice to the crowd of folks who really dislike the wasteful multilingual titling: I'd rather they were just in Italian for the Majors, and numbers for the Minors, which would free up a lot of real estate for the artists' images...

As always, thanks for soliciting opinions, and best of luck convincing your boss to take heed. :)

Scion

I second all the points made here but I'd also add that I love the back on the Tarot of Reflections. It's a gorgeous deck and one that I'm reading with frequently. This is one instance where lifting from the deck really has worked but I think it's because the Moon from the Moon card is a self contained motif and sits beautifully within the abstract texture of the card back.

With regards to the multi lingual titling it just seems to rob the cards of a little mystique somehow. Tarot originates from Italy - be proud of your heritage!

It would be lovely to see decks cards with exclusively Italian titles. In the case of decks such as the Universal Marseilles or the Tarot of the New Vision it would have been nice to see titling in only French and English respectively, to reflect the inspiration and roots of the original source decks but with your modern decks, just go right ahead and title them in Italian to reflect that you're spearheading the Tarot tradition in Italy today in the same way that the cardmakers whose Italian decks you print in facsimile were the custodians of the tradition in their day.

With regards to the question of "what is a card back ?" I think it has to act as a gateway to the cards. It tantalises, entices and draws you in with the promise of the mysteries contained within the cards themselves. It has to make you curious as to what lies on the flipside of the card and above all, it must be a beautiful work of art in itself. It doesn't have to be elaborate. It just has to be striking. I've listed below a selection of what I consider to model or ideal card backs.

Tarot of Prague: Totally in keeping with the feel of the Deck and enigmatic with its inclusion of the text of a magical palindrome. This really does make you curious to turn the cards over !

Gilded Tarot and Tarot of Dreams: Intricate, beautiful, mysterious, eccentric, just plain perfect.

Albano Waite: Plain white with a small gold sun motif. This proves that less is definitely more.

Rohrig Tarot: Spectacular and Surreal design of space merging with sea. In keeping with the deck and really does draw you into its strange world. Prize example of equal effort being lavished on both the back and the front of the cards.

Norbert Losche Cosmic Tarot: Dark and Mysterious, mirroring the kind of symbolism buried in the deck. Style is totally cosistent with the deck artwork.

Totally subjective, personal favourites but there you go !!

Chris. xx

Cerulean

The backs of the Hidden Folk is beautiful and full of colors

I adore the smaller format Alba Dorata, the older Italian version with the different Chariot card than the Hidden Folk tarot...but find the beautiful back of the Hidden Folk and the redoing of those pip cards to be interesting.

I just wish the older Alba Dorata had the multicolor backs of the Hidden Folk. The illustration is gorgeous and seems to be uniquely designed for just the back...I may be wrong.

Regards,

Cerulean

Deana

Of the LS Tarot decks I've bought, the only backs I've truly liked were the Gay Tarot. Those are beautiful.

I also like the backs on the Lenormand cards, the ones called French Cartomancy. They remind me of playing card backs from the cards my grandparents had when I was a child, and that is really the feeling I want from a deck like that. The other Lenormand cards, I think they're called the Lenormand Oracle, are terrible. The fronts are just lovely and the backs ruin them. I almost returned them because they just look cheesy, especially compared to the backs on the French Cartomancy deck.

gregory

Can you post a scan ? There's someone with a Lenormand back they are trying to identify somewhere in this place!

RiccardoLS

OT regarding multilingual Tarot

I must say that we received a LOT of negative feedback, with a trend almost opposite to what one read here, whenever we didn't place languages.
I can say that many of our distributors specifically ask for language-fit cards... and when the deck does not feature their language they buy less.
On question, they all simply said: "we sell less. A lot less".

While we, every now and then, try out different solutions (Vampires, Secret Forest, etc... and a new deck in 2007) it s unlickely that we may change politic on language, at least untile the market behave consistently in this way.
In this case, the market, I'm afraid is not a bad thing. It point clearly to what people seem to look for.

Best,

ric

gregory

I think this is fair enough. I buy LS decks; I don't like the titles, but without them, the company might not manage to publish at all. MAYBE a compromise would be to place them in such a way (in terms of the backs) that people could clip them. This would basically mean plain backs - which might make a whole NEW lot of people happy too !!!

Hi Riccardo. Glad you came back ! We don't hate you :love: Even in Tarot business is business !

The 78th Fool

RiccardoLS said:
OT regarding multilingual Tarot

I must say that we received a LOT of negative feedback, with a trend almost opposite to what one read here, whenever we didn't place languages.
I can say that many of our distributors specifically ask for language-fit cards... and when the deck does not feature their language they buy less.
On question, they all simply said: "we sell less. A lot less".

While we, every now and then, try out different solutions (Vampires, Secret Forest, etc... and a new deck in 2007) it s unlickely that we may change politic on language, at least untile the market behave consistently in this way.
In this case, the market, I'm afraid is not a bad thing. It point clearly to what people seem to look for.

Best,

ric

It's too easy to forget that there's a much wider market beyond what's said on this forum ! At the end of the day, multilingual titles may not be my preference but they've never put me off using my favourite LS decks. As you rightly said, If it's generating sales and positive feedback, then it doesn't need fixing !

Chris. xx

Abrac

Multilingual Titles

I have no problem with multilingual titles when they are small and discreetly placed, like on the Visconti Tarots.

Eco74

Awww. Face it people.. We're tarot geeks and not very representative of the average market for tarot-decks. :D

Thinking back, I do remember holding a multi-lingual deck and thinking "how great, now I can learn the names of the cards in different languages", and I really doubt whether I'd be as readily open to getting a deck in a foreign language now if I hadn't had that thought or that experience.

Deana

gregory said:
Can you post a scan ? There's someone with a Lenormand back they are trying to identify somewhere in this place!

I saw that lovely deck back but didn't recognize it. It was not:
French Cartomancy
Lenormand Oracle
Mystical Lenormand
Titania's Oracle

Those are the only Lenormand decks I have. I hope someone solves which deck it is, though, because it looks beautiful.