Magic Circles - study group?

earthair

The time has definitely come to discuss magic circles made from 'real' stuff :D I'll collect together a few of my favourites...

earthair

To start with, BIG circles made of sturdy construction :livelong:
I would love to have a few acres to build my own versions!
Has anyone ever constructed one in their garden? I have planted tree circles in both the gardens where I've lived, but never done a stone one.

Attachments

• avebury.jpg
    avebury.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7452devilsQuoits.jpg
    IMG_7452devilsQuoits.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Stonehenge.jpg
    Stonehenge.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Spellsforalldotcom.jpg
    Spellsforalldotcom.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Stone-Circle-at-White-Mountain-Druid-Sanctuary-with-fire-pit-in-the-center-and-the-well-at-the-w.jpg
    Stone-Circle-at-White-Mountain-Druid-Sanctuary-with-fire-pit-in-the-center-and-the-well-at-the-w.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 89

Tanga

To start with, BIG circles made of sturdy construction :livelong:
I would love to have a few acres to build my own versions!
Has anyone ever constructed one in their garden? I have planted tree circles in both the gardens where I've lived, but never done a stone one.

:) When the garden was big enough, I hadn't quite arrived at the idea of having one.
Now - I have a tiny postage-stamp garden.

Been to Avebury and Stoney-hengy...and a few that are dotted around Scotland etc. (when we used to go camping everywhere).

Like no.5 with the benches in it, plus fire pit. :) :)

ravenest

Made several, I have one plain one in the front yard, that nowadays only really gets used for martial arts practice - 'The Circle of Death' :D

A large maypole one down by the river on one end of our festival site, and towards the other end a very large one ) can fit about 300 with with a circular hill and ditch outline and had 4 large built elemental altars within ; a water one like a font made from river stones and crystals, a fire one built in the shape of a volcano with volcanic rocks ( you could have a little fire inside it and the flames would come out the top), a mirror feather light air altar and a giant big flat topped rock for earth ... that was fun moving ! It took about 10 of us just to roll it over once. We had planted a ring of trees around it but most died, so only two left near the entrance.

Nowadays they are pretty much abandoned .

Tanga

Made several, I have one plain one in the front yard, that nowadays only really gets used for martial arts practice - 'The Circle of Death' :D

A large maypole one down by the river on one end of our festival site, and towards the other end a very large one ) can fit about 300 with with a circular hill and ditch outline and had 4 large built elemental altars within ; a water one like a font made from river stones and crystals, a fire one built in the shape of a volcano with volcanic rocks ( you could have a little fire inside it and the flames would come out the top), a mirror feather light air altar and a giant big flat topped rock for earth ... that was fun moving ! It took about 10 of us just to roll it over once. We had planted a ring of trees around it but most died, so only two left near the entrance.

Ooh...fabulous fun. Especially in group construction... :heart:
To have the space - ehh.
Shame they're now abandoned.

Tanga

I'll just add - that in my postage stamp back garden I do have 4 elemental Altars - in each corner.
3 are "display" and the last is a functional one.
Air and Fire are swapped around, just because for the way the garden works - they looked better that way round.
And it's the Air Altar (in the South :) ) that is the functional one.

EARTH is a collection of 3 iron balls in a rose pot. The large beachball sized one is rainbow coloured (like rainbows on oil) and the other two smaller ones are silver.
AIR is a small statue of a sleeping angel on a Maiden moon. The Altar is a re-claimed square Spanish tile with an 8-pointed star on it.
FIRE is a sleeping terracotta dragon in a small patch of rounded stones.
WATER is a collection of 3 large shells and 3 circular blue ceramic stones, on a bed of small blue glass pebbles.

:heart:

And ahhhh - I've always dreamed of either a Goddess statue or a howling wolf in my front yard.
But a) I couldn't find one, b) Even if I did it's unlikely I could justify the expense c) Doubtful that the rest of the household would appreciate it. Yawn.

ravenest

I have several such statues and carvings hidden around. There is a squatting ugly Pan playing Pan pipes under a tree where the car pulls up at the end of the driveway. Lately when I get home after dark, there has been a very large green rainforest tree frog sitting on top of Pan's head every night :D .

Tanga

I have several such statues and carvings hidden around. There is a squatting ugly Pan playing Pan pipes under a tree where the car pulls up at the end of the driveway. Lately when I get home after dark, there has been a very large green rainforest tree frog sitting on top of Pan's head every night :D .

:joke: Pan's companion. Maybe a good place to serenade?
(hey! - y'know I wrote a child's creation myth about rain and a frog...)

Really, my whole back yard is a magick circle - ala the 4 altars.
But - I never dance in there sky clad. I'd give the neighbours apoplexy and my hubby would probably be convinced I'd definitely fallen into a cult (this time).
Again - I mostly have to do stuff in my head for that.

I have a selection of gargoyles on the wall of the back garden (diameter from 4-8cm).
They've come from different places that we've vacationed at - and then didn't quite go up on the wall as I envisioned, because my husband and I always have very different ideas about things - and he refused to put the nails where I wanted them (used existing ones).Lol.
But - they're up. I enjoy looking at several rather weird critters, the face of a commet and a
cherub/green woman face.
There's also a dragon eating it's tail (Ouroboros of sorts) and on the ground, because I couldn't fit any more - a running Hare (Andraste! and thoughts of Boudicca on the warpath - though I'm sure nobody else sees that when they look at it :joke:).
And... a statue of a white ghost.
My mother added a moon-gazing hare a while back.

Plus - I HAD to have the stained glass pentacle that the glass man up-the-road had in the corner of his shop (been there forever and no-one had ever bought it :) ).

earthair

Abandoned because you don't need the circles any more (except the Circle of Death *insert scary music*) or just didn't work for you?

Aw shame about the dead trees :( Try planting some more?

earthair

I'll just add - that in my postage stamp back garden I do have 4 elemental Altars - in each corner.
3 are "display" and the last is a functional one.
Air and Fire are swapped around, just because for the way the garden works - they looked better that way round.
And it's the Air Altar (in the South :) ) that is the functional one.

EARTH is a collection of 3 iron balls in a rose pot. The large beachball sized one is rainbow coloured (like rainbows on oil) and the other two smaller ones are silver.
AIR is a small statue of a sleeping angel on a Maiden moon. The Altar is a re-claimed square Spanish tile with an 8-pointed star on it.
FIRE is a sleeping terracotta dragon in a small patch of rounded stones.
WATER is a collection of 3 large shells and 3 circular blue ceramic stones, on a bed of small blue glass pebbles.

:heart:

Some lovely ideas here, thank you :)

I'm conflicted over placement of water element features because magic circle placement conflicts with ideal feng shui placement, so in the end feng shui won out!

I've also stumbled across an old edition of Agrippa (ed Willis Whitehead) which has a very interesting story about Reuchlin casting a circle in a pub to shut everyone up so he could finish reading his book in peace. :joke:

There is also a very curious chapter on using black mirrors, and "as soon as any Mystic is known to be doing this he is visited by members of the Brotherhood and necessary data secured". :bugeyed: