Boss caught me reading

bladeraven

Ugh..had to share this with ya'll...was at work and during lunch a coworker wanted me to do a reading so I did...and another coworker decided, hey she'll get her reading done to...so we're sitting there and talking and my cards and book was out and my boss came by and was not happy...

He pretty much freaked is actually a better term...and kept telling me..put them away put them away...uhm okay...so I did.

I was so rattled the rest of the day after lunch...I told the ladies..sorry but if you want me to read...I'll just do it after work somewhere else and not during lunch anymore....

WalesWoman

What an unnerving experience...atleast it was on your lunch break and not on company time! EEKS!

bladeraven

what bothered me the most was...I've had my bible wide open on numerous occassions and it was no big deal...yet..I'm discussing the tarot and have a book explaining what it was about...and he freaks...yet hours later engages in "guy humor" with the other guys...GRRR....

dadsnook2000

You are in Texas. George Bush country. Don't they hang people there for doing things that are a little wierd? You need to move to a Blue State. Ha. Perhaps he was worried about clients seeing you read Tarot. Large companies anywhere also tend to be conservative. As far as work goes, we often have to compromise -- or leave. I know how you feel. But, then, I've left a lot of companies. Dave.

bladeraven

lol...true...where I am ...it's away from clients..though I would think they would be offended I leave my bible wide open...lol..

I think what irk me was this was at lunch too....I could see if I was supposed to be working on the big report and decide to let the Fates type it up for me...lol

jmd

Can someone's supervisor or employer tell an employee what they may do or not do during that person's lunchtime?????

Where are we heading?

Lurea

If it's on company property, YES. I work for a Catholic hospital, and there's loads of things you are absolutely not allowed to do on hospital property.
(Like mention the word 'abortion'.)

I would never dare to do a reading at work, even on my break. And only one person at work even KNOWS I read Tarot.

Thirteen

This makes me angry--and there really should be something you can do about it.

Frankly, what if it was part of *your religion*? Some of us include Tarot as a part of our religious rituals. If an employee is allowed to pray or read the Bible during lunch, they should also be allowed to read tarot cards (unless, of course, you're charging money for it--then it's business).

I would call this religious discrimination among other things. The only question is, is this a temporary job or is this your career. If career, and you're going to be under this guy for a while, you might want to look into what you can do about it--because he would now seem to have an open bias against you. If it's just a temporary job, well, it's still wrong but might be more trouble than it's worth to fight it.

bladeraven

It's a career...and this is the kicker ...I have OPENLY read and study my bible out in the open....and yet...I was discussing the tarot with a co-worker who was curoius..which was why I brought my cards to work...He (boss) knew my degree (30 hours short but still) is in anthropology...I had a book explaining the significance of the Tarot....

I understand he's a Christian..so I am but I'm sorry..but if I can read and study my bible OUT in the open and that's more likely to offend EVERYONE...I think that's wrong...and to top it off...there's a freaking flyer for BIBLE STUDIES...It's not like I posted outside my cube...tarot readings at lunch...

Lol..okay I maybe the only Christian to complain about this..but I don't think it's fair I can read/study my bible out in the open...there's freaking flyers for bible studies...and he freaks because of ONE minor incident....Not only that..during halloween..the place is plaster from roof to floor with not so Christian symbols and ideas...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bladeraven

if he says anything about it tomorrow, I'm going to tell him...my coworker found out my degree was in anthropology, I took a Folklore class and a class called Magic, Witchcraft and superstition (all true), I told her about my tarot deck and how it interplay with what I've learned and learning and she wanted to see them...I waited till lunch and not during a big meeting (no not going to be sarcastic..lol)..and showed them to her then...oh well...