Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

sapienza

You should be very proud of yourself Essjay. You have succesfully avoided temptation. Well done :) And the other decks will be waiting for you when you are finished so don't worry.

lilith_in_tree

hello folks! Thought I'd check in here and say welcome to any and all newbies :)
I've been having an interesting time of it for the past week or so. I started out of the gate going like gangbusters, both with my study and other things, but last week I began having a little trouble--I haven't wanted to use or even look at any other decks, I was just feeling sort of bogged down and frustrated with things in general. I was still journalling, but not really feeling it, and my other writing hit the wall as well. The strangest thing was that every card I was drawing for my journalling came up reversed--clearly something was afoot. So yesterday, after I drew Strength reversed (very important card for me, as well as being my soul card) I asked the deck what I need to do to get everybody standing upright again :laugh:--and I drew the Fool upright. I think I've been going at this in a bit too dour of a fashion--I'm a very Air/Swords kind of person, and I tend to get far too serious and tunnel down into my own head a bit too much. So I'll be listening to my deck--and try to be more lighthearted.
I hope everyone is doing well, and that those of you struggling hit a happy place!

mosaica

arcana17 said:
I'm going to start the IDS today, I was too busy to start earlier.

For the next 6 months, I will use the Thoth, the book of Thoth, Duquette's book and my journal. This is a deck that always attracted me, but I never spent enough time to immerse deeply into. I will need a lot of courage, as I always tend to go back to my Universal Waite.

Welcome to the IDS, and to working with the Thoth, Arcana!

Here's where I am with my IDS right now:

I've been working with the deck for almost a month. I finally went ahead and trimmed my large deck. I love the new look! The colors practically explode out of the cards, and details that I never noticed before have popped out. I didn't realize just how much the borders were washing out the colors and the details. The cards look especially amazing on a black spread cloth.

I finished DuQuette's book and I'm half way through the Book of Thoth. I'm actually enjoying it, and it's making some kind of sense! I'm developing an appreciation for Crowley. Those are major accomplishments.

I did a reading for someone today using a different deck (for the first time since starting the IDS) because they requested it. It didn't bother me at all. I am so into the Thoth that I'm experiencing no temptations to switch to anything else. If I look at or work with a different deck, all I want to do is get right back into my Thoth. I also felt like my study of the Thoth improved my reading ability with the other deck.

The other change in myself that I've noticed is that I'm no longer obsessed with fulfilling my wish list. I don't feel a desire to buy a deck every time I pass a bookstore. I don't browse new decks on amazon. For the first time since beginning to study tarot, I feel satisfied with the decks that I have. I don't feel addicted to acquiring new ones anymore.

I never want to go back to switching decks all the time. I think I'll always want to do some kind of IDS. It has rewarded me in so many ways!

I hope you are all finding it as rewarding as I am. :heart:
Mosaica

fluffy

Hi everyone!

Welcome lilangel, you will find everyone here very helpful and supportive if ever you go through a "rough patch" :)

Way to go Afrosaxon I can't believe you have got through a suit already! What did you do, just study a card a day? or just journal general thoughts etc? Did you learn a lot from your study of the suit? I am struggling with a particular suit that I just seem to get stuck on when it comes up in a reading, so I would be grateful for any advice.

Sapienza you are really lucky to have an active study group. Although I have marked a few threads that mention the Bosch there was never a study group on it :( I think it really helps to sound out your ideas with other users of the same deck.

Faolin storm great reading I might try it myself sometime and hope that I get cards as pleasing as those you drew.

I had an idea that I was wondering what everyone thought of. I don't feel comfortable yet, reading for other people with the Bosch (apart from my grandad!) as I don't feel I know it well enough, but I want to do readings. So I thought about doing a reading on an event or something like whatever has been in the news, then we all post our views on the same reading, but with our own deck. Not a whole new reading as such, say one person did the reading, then others posted their views on the cards from their deck to see the differences, similarities etc. What do you think??

Love Fluffy
xx

lilangel09

Thanks for the welcome everyone! After much thought, I've decided that I will do a double decker since I've been interested in the Marseilles (Hadar) as of late. I think the Marseilles will aid in the "breaking down" of any walls of sorts. I still will not be reading books, but I may decide to do so after 6 months. Unfortunately I don't own one, so I'll be Marseilles-less for awhile longer. I'm sure this (the IDS) will be a very interesting experience.

Not breakthroughs with the IIT as of yet...but will keep trying :)

Sinduction

Fluffy, you could always read for friends until you feel comfortable reading for strangers. My friends let me practice on them all the time when I was first learning. Or, if you want, I know I'd be willing to let you practice on me and I'm sure lots of others here would too!

I'm thinking of journaling a set of minors now. Hmmm.

You guys are so awesome :heart:

rwcarter

fluffy said:
Sapienza you are really lucky to have an active study group. Although I have marked a few threads that mention the Bosch there was never a study group on it :( I think it really helps to sound out your ideas with other users of the same deck.
I know what you mean about study groups. I've been struggling with whether or not to say anything about this, but since you already did.... :)

There was an active study group for my IDS deck from 2005-2006. They got through most of the Majors and that's it. So far I've posted on the first 9 Majors. Two of those posts were the first real posts on that particular card. The other 7 added additional insights and information. I can tell by the number of views that people are reading my posts. But with the exception of one card (that you helped me with fluffy :heart:), no one is responding.

I know my observations and posts aren't so brilliant that they're the final word on that particular card. If people weren't viewing my posts I'd chalk it up to the fact that no one is currently interested in the deck and that would be the end of that.

I keep telling myself that I'm gathering the same info for myself anyway and posting it for the edification of future users of my deck. And that should be enough. It's not like I'm looking for positive feedback on my posts to stroke my ego. (A "what planet are you from?" or "you've got your head stuck so far up your...." would also be fine. ;)) But it still bugs me. But it shouldn't. But it does. But it shouldn't....

I'm still going to post to the study group. I guess what I need to stop doing is looking at the number of views after I post to that thread....

Rodney

fluffy

Ha Rodney, I look at your postings! I don't answer because I don't have the deck and if I did I am not allowed to look at it anyway. I think it would detract too much from the study of my bosch if I got involved in the Ancient Egyptian tarot study group. I only need a slight encouragement to start looking at something else instead of my little boshies :)

Love Fluff
xx

sapienza

lilith_in_tree said:
I've been having an interesting time of it for the past week or so. I started out of the gate going like gangbusters, both with my study and other things, but last week I began having a little trouble--I haven't wanted to use or even look at any other decks, I was just feeling sort of bogged down and frustrated with things in general. ...... I think I've been going at this in a bit too dour of a fashion--I'm a very Air/Swords kind of person, and I tend to get far too serious and tunnel down into my own head a bit too much. So I'll be listening to my deck--and try to be more lighthearted.
Great to hear you've had a bit of a breakthrough. Sometimes we do just need to listen to our decks. I find I get very tied up in my own head at times too and sometimes I need to remember to come back down to the 'real' world :)

mosaica said:
I did a reading for someone today using a different deck (for the first time since starting the IDS) because they requested it. It didn't bother me at all. I am so into the Thoth that I'm experiencing no temptations to switch to anything else.
I sometimes read for others who request their favourite deck for me to read with. I haven't had this happen since I started this IDS but I'd be the same if it did. I'm quite sure now that it wouldn't detract me from my Alchemical.

mosaica said:
The other change in myself that I've noticed is that I'm no longer obsessed with fulfilling my wish list. I don't feel a desire to buy a deck every time I pass a bookstore. I don't browse new decks on amazon. For the first time since beginning to study tarot, I feel satisfied with the decks that I have. I don't feel addicted to acquiring new ones anymore.
I never want to go back to switching decks all the time. I think I'll always want to do some kind of IDS. It has rewarded me in so many ways!

I hope you are all finding it as rewarding as I am.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I used to look at my wish-list daily and always be scanning e-bay or the trading forum. I still check e-bay now and then but really the whole wish-list thing is receding to the back of my mind. Right now I have no desire to get any more decks.....well, except for the Renewed version of the Alchemical, but that doesn't count because it's the same deck :)

fluffy said:
Sapienza you are really lucky to have an active study group. Although I have marked a few threads that mention the Bosch there was never a study group on it I think it really helps to sound out your ideas with other users of the same deck.
I do feel very lucky about this. I had to get it up and running again but I'm lucky because the Renewed version of this deck has only just been shipped out to people so there is quite a bit of interest out there.

fluffy said:
I had an idea that I was wondering what everyone thought of. I don't feel comfortable yet, reading for other people with the Bosch (apart from my grandad!) as I don't feel I know it well enough, but I want to do readings. So I thought about doing a reading on an event or something like whatever has been in the news, then we all post our views on the same reading, but with our own deck. Not a whole new reading as such, say one person did the reading, then others posted their views on the cards from their deck to see the differences, similarities etc. What do you think??
fluffy, I know what you mean about wanting to practice using your cards. I'm not sure I'd be that good at reading for an event but I'd be prepared to give it a try if it would help you. If you want to do a reading perhaps just post it in the readings thread but put a link to it in this thread so we can all find it. I'd happily add my comments based on my own cards. It might be a good challenge for me as well :)

rwcarter said:
I keep telling myself that I'm gathering the same info for myself anyway and posting it for the edification of future users of my deck. And that should be enough. It's not like I'm looking for positive feedback on my posts to stroke my ego. (A "what planet are you from?" or "you've got your head stuck so far up your...." would also be fine. ) But it still bugs me. But it shouldn't. But it does. But it shouldn't....

I'm still going to post to the study group. I guess what I need to stop doing is looking at the number of views after I post to that thread....
I can understand how this might be annoying. It makes sense for it to bother you but I think you should just try really hard not to look at the number of views :) You are, as you say, contributing to the knowledge base for future learners. And the most important thing is that you are learning by doing this. I had a similar problem about a year ago where I was the only one contributing to a study group. I used to get frustrated and think 'come on, where is everyone....I know you are all out there using this deck....come and play with me' :D Try not to get too disheartened Rodney.

As for me.....

I've given up on the idea of a journal. I thought I'd do the whole binder thing and bought dividers etc etc....and haven't even started it!!!! Every morning I choose a card and at night when I write in my diary (something I've now done for over 20 years without missing a day) I also do a quick writeup in my little tarot diary. But other than that I haven't put pen to paper. BUT, I type a lot. So what I've decided to do it to just accept that I'm happier to type than write and I'm going to create my own little book. I'll type it all up, add scans of the cards and at the end of the IDS I'll get it printed in colour as a little treat to myself. Not sure how much it will cost but I can always do it on my home printer if it's too expensive. This way I can keep adding as I go along and at the end I'll have my own little guidebook for the alchemical tarot :)

Hope everyone is doing well today :heart:

rwcarter

sapienza said:
I can understand how this might be annoying. It makes sense for it to bother you but I think you should just try really hard not to look at the number of views :) You are, as you say, contributing to the knowledge base for future learners. And the most important thing is that you are learning by doing this. I had a similar problem about a year ago where I was the only one contributing to a study group. I used to get frustrated and think 'come on, where is everyone....I know you are all out there using this deck....come and play with me' :D Try not to get too disheartened Rodney.
Thanks sapienza. That does help to know that other people have gone through the same thing. Yes, the two most important things are that 1) >> I << am learning something through this process and 2) I'm adding to the knowledge base for future users of my deck. The number of people who view the threads before anyone posts a comment is irrelevant.

sapienza said:
I've given up on the idea of a journal. I thought I'd do the whole binder thing and bought dividers etc etc....and haven't even started it!!!!
Maybe I can return the favor. My "journal" is currently a Word document into which I have placed a scan of each card. For each card I'm taking notes from the companion book about the imagery and interpretation and then including notes from my own additional study into the imagery. I'm leaving space to include my own handwritten notes about other interpretations I've seen for the cards.

Once I've gone through the entire deck, I'll print the whole thing out (right now I'm getting two pages per card for the Majors and the Minors will probably be one page per card) and then start including my own handwritten notes about the cards. I have a separate Word document for my Daily Draws. I write down how each card appears to have fit into my day, so will go back through that document and pull information out that I'll then put into the other document. (For example, the imagery in my deck for the 3 Swords and the way it fit into my day led me to come up with a meaning of walking away from an argument, which is definitely getting written in when I get to that point!)

So instead of giving up the idea of a handwritten journal, maybe trying a blending of hi tech and lo tech....

Rodney