Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

fluffy

Today with my bosch

Well today I did a three card daily draw and went to my grandads for the day with Rider. I decided to take my Bosch with me as my grandad likes cards and knows that I read tarot (he collects playing cards).

We had a lovely day and while we were having a cup of tea in the garden I said that I had brought them so he said - go get them!

He looked through them, admiring them for the art and guessing which trump was which (I have trimmed it). Then he asked me to do a reading, three actually. Ha, "What will the weather be like on my holidays next week?". "If I keep doing the lottery will I win?" and then a more serious one about a woman who is coming on a bit strong for him and her intentions.

Whilst the readings didn't really flow like I wanted them to, or say they would have done with my RWS, I think we got there in the end and it hasn't put me off.

I will keep going with the Bosch and keep reading for my grandad for practice!

Love Fluffy

ps. Thanks again for helping me through a rough patch, it's tru I just got the urge as usual to rush off and grab another deck (I got my thoth today, but I haven't looked at it)
xx

lilangel09

Enter the International Icon Tarot and the Marseilles (Hadar)

I've been flitting with the idea for awhile (mostly because I want to use my beloved Lunatic at a convention since it fits the theme quite nicely), but I've decided not to use my trusted Lunatic for this exercise. Perhaps I will bring her to the convention next year.

Recently, I've been so overwhelmed by catching up on university work that I only look to my deck for 'quick answers'. I handle my deck every few days. I have not read for another for what I feel has been about a month, and I feel that my 'listening' skills have diminished. I'm aware that this is the IDS and not the ODW, but I'd like to model my the rules after the ODW.

These are my rules:
1. I will start today, April 2 (right after April Fool's!) and continue until at least June 20, 2008. If I feel like I want to continue to a total length of 6 months, all the better.

2. Two decks, the International Icon Tarot and the Marseilles (Hadar), and no others will be used for readings.

3. The only times I will pick up another deck are to move them from one place to another or to check that all the cards are intact after the deck has arrived.

4. No books specifically on Tarot.

5. I'm going to handle my deck everyday. I may even sleep with it (it seemed to help me bond with the Diamond and the UF although I never did with my Lunatic...)

6. Journal with the deck at least once a week. This is going to be difficult since I've been so pressed for time, but I will try to do at least a paragraph.

7. I will read for someone in person. Fallacy is part of the human condition, no one will ever be 100% right all the time. I just have to accept it, live with it, face my fears, read, and try to help a person while traveling along my Tarot journey. Not to mention, there's no money in the mix, so what's there to fear?

8. I will not buy any other deck until June 20, 2008. Afterwards, if I continue for the 6 months, I can buy any decks on my wishlist (more specifically the Aquarian) but can only check them for completeness.

So, hi everyone :).

Edit: Added the Marseilles.

rwcarter

Welcome aboard lilangel09! You'll find we're a really nice and supportive group of folks.

One of these days I need to take a much closer look at my International Icon, but not before the middle of June!

Rodney

Disa

Fluffy I'm glad to see you made it through your rough patch, I think each time we go through them, we may grow a little if we persevere.

Welcome, lilangel. I hope you enjoy the IDS.

As for me, I just finished another spread in the book. I struggled through a difficult card but got some good advice for myself to follow-wonder if I will :) The spread was 8 cards and went kind of quick-I wonder if it's beause I'm getting used to the cards or if I didn't spend enough time searching for the answers. I trusted my intincts on this one and the messages just seemed very succinct and very much on target. I journaled my findings and I'm quite happy that I had a chance to do this midweek instead of waiting for the weekend.

sapienza

Welcome, lilangel. Great that you are joining us. Enjoy :)

Faolainn Storm

sapienza, I just have to tell you, I just used your IDS spread and got the most wonderful reading. It's so good I just have to share it here:

1. Where you are now on your tarot journey - 4 Cups
2. How the IDS can help you - 2 Cups
3. What challenges you'll face on the IDS - Temperance
4. What the Tarot of Dreams can offer you - Priestess
5. What you can achieve working in partnership with the Tarot of Dreams - 10 Cups
6. Where you can potentially be on your tarot journey by sticking with the IDS (ie. future) - World
7. Who/what will guide you on this journey - Judgement

Three cups (I never get cups) and four major arcana - and I did shuffle the cards very well! And such nice cards. I am so happy.

As for my journalling, I have finally finished the Fool, took me two days to truely cover the one card. I decided to start with the Fool as I finally sat down and started my journalling on the 1st - April Fool's day, and though how appropriate. But I'm now looking at the deck and wondering if I'll ever finish! :rolleyes: Oh well, even if I only complete the Majors in that sort of depth (10 pages! :bugeyed:) I'll be happy. This is not a race, nor does it matter how much I get done. What matters is that I stick to it for three months at least! I need to learn perseverance and discipline. And this is the best way for me to learn these lessons.

Oh and I've decided that I can't really participate in the Tarot and Oracle ID games. I just participated, and I realised as I did that it means I must get on here at least once a day. Which for me, kind of defeats the purpose of the IDS - spending more time with the Tarot, and less time talking about the Tarot. But that's me.

Faolainn Storm

afrosaxon

One suit down, three to go!

Yay!

I finished my IDS with the Petro (wands) suit: 1-10, and the courts. Woohoo!

Tomorrow I start a new suit. I think I'll begin with the Santeria (Pentacles). I don't have as good a handle on that suit.

For me, Petro and Santeria were the harder suits (which is why I started with them first). Santeria especially because Santeria is a religion that is similar to voudoun, but still different (different gods, etc)...so I have to pay extra attention, especially since I have not really researched Santeria and am not that familiar with their gods.

Rada (air) and Congo (water) are easier suits for me in this deck. *shrug*

T.

thorhammer

Welcome, lilangel09 :) Thankyou for your PM, it really helps me to not miss your post in this huge thread! I liked the Lunatic, too, but in the end I sent it to a friend, a fellow ATer, and although some days I miss it, mostly it's not that big a hole in my collection :D. I'll put you on the list in Post 1, with the IIT. Have you found the other IDS threads? There's a daily draw one, in the Daily Draws sub-forum, and there's also a reading circle that Knight of Wands keeps on the hop.

FS ~ great reading indeed! I've been getting some interesting ones with my WoC, too, and it's been fun to see the patterns in cards popping up. One that I've seen a bit recently that I never see is The Lovers! How nice for me! I do agree with you about the ID games - not so much about it being on here, just that I would feel like I was cheating :D. But, as you said, that's just me!

Disa ~ Was it you that wanted your readings to come quicker and flow more easily? Or am I imagining things? Either way, it sounds like you're getting a lot out of your deck, good for you!

AS ~ Yay! Milestones rock! I just can't be so disciplined as all you people with your regimes! I just journal when it comes to me . . . seems to work for me! I'm letting things settle and coagulate (yeah, that's the word) in my head, and I think it may take a long long time for me. But it's worth it, I'm getting somewhere :)

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Faolainn Storm said:
sapienza, I just have to tell you, I just used your IDS spread and got the most wonderful reading. It's so good I just have to share it here:

1. Where you are now on your tarot journey - 4 Cups
2. How the IDS can help you - 2 Cups
3. What challenges you'll face on the IDS - Temperance
4. What the Tarot of Dreams can offer you - Priestess
5. What you can achieve working in partnership with the Tarot of Dreams - 10 Cups
6. Where you can potentially be on your tarot journey by sticking with the IDS (ie. future) - World
7. Who/what will guide you on this journey - Judgement

Three cups (I never get cups) and four major arcana - and I did shuffle the cards very well! And such nice cards. I am so happy.

Hey FS, fantastic reading. What wonderful cards. I hope you wrote this up. Make sure you refer to it if you ever get doubts....or just post here and we can remind you of it I guess :D I'm so pleased you are loving your deck and things are flowing well for you.

afrosaxon, glad to hear you are making great progress too! The deck you are using sounds so interesting....but I'm not even going to try and find out about it on-line at the moment :)

I'm doing pretty well with my Alchemical just now. I'm really starting to love this deck in a whole new way. I did some more readings and exercises from 'Tarot for Your Self' and I realise the more work I do with the deck the more I'm starting to really connect with the cards. Also, the study group is now up and running and I'm finding that being involved with that is a HUGE help. Tonight I'm hoping to write up my thoughts on The Fool. I feel very fortunate to be using a deck that has an active study group. Even if the other participants are using the Renewed version of the deck and I've got the original, they are basically the same. I'm thinking of treating myself to the new version if I can stick to the IDS. I just haven't decided how long I need to stick to it before I cave in and put in an order :laugh:

Essjay

I felt the first challenges to my resolve this week. To be honest I thought I would be fine looking at cards in the tarot deck forum but looking at scans of the upcoming Touchstone Tarot made me think about my untouched Golden Tarot. I have managed not to take it from the shelf and am determined not to!

Then, T of P arrived so I checked it for completeness and have popped it back on its shelf. I have had to scurry back to my VR however, and start shuffling lol.