Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

sapienza

Gazel said:
I'll just confess to you that I've sinned big time this morning: Ordered both the Druidcraft and the Robin Wood. I'm going to check on completeness etc, and them put them aside at least until my birthday ... Promise.

I'm totally blaming the Internet!!

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you check them when they arrive and then put them aside for now then you are still on track with your IDS deck :) I'll support you in blaming the internet. I blame it for a LOT of stuff myself :D

Disa said:
I think you really struck a chord with me when you said it's the taking time with the deck and getting off the computer that will do it for us- slowly but surely I am becoming "unplugged" for longer intervals. I have that Mark K. Greer book as well and need to spend more time with it.

I'm please that I struck a chord for you. It's so hard to 'unplug' but the rewards are definitely worth it. The main thing I'm getting out of this whole IDS is that I'm spending so much more time with my cards and I'd totally forgotten how wonderful that is. Doing all these exercises have not only helped me bond with my Alchemical deck, but have also given me great insights into my own current life situation. This is why I got interested in tarot to start with :)

fluffy said:
I am not sure how it is going at all I am doing a daily draw, which doesn't make much sense, reading about the basis of the deck (very interesting), doing readings, but still do not feel inspired.

I am expecting a package soon from Nina a Thoth, it will be my first and am tempted to change my deck, but I know that it is just because I am still not "getting" the Bosch. I've trimmed it, shuffled it, looked at it and yet I am not inspired although I do like the imagery.

Help!

Fluffy, I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling with your Bosch. I know this IDS would seem so daunting if you were not able to connect with your deck. I think Rodney's advice was really good though. Try a few different approaches before you give up on your deck. You may have a breakthrough. Maybe set yourself a time frame where you try a few different things and see what happens. But, if after that, things are still not falling into place for you, then perhaps you are just not meant to work with that deck. We'll all be here to support you whatever you decide though :D

thorhammer said:
I got Orphalese yesterday! I straightaway got the Wheel of Change for it, and it's now my default deck (I do confess to slavering over the Aquatic Tarot for a while, though ), and I'm already putting my journalling notes onto each card in there. I think it'll be an interesting addendum to my study, but not in any way the basis of my reading, as I love the feel of my cards too much, and anyway, the Orphalese one still has the damn borders on it!

I'd never heard of this before. How interesting....

Sinduction

So... um... I love my deck so much (the LS Art Nouveau) that I ordered two of the oracle decks the artist put out. :D

I never thought the IDS would enable me to buy oracles!

And Fluffy, have you tried just to spend some time with one card at a time? I mean really looking at it and feeling it, immersing yourself in it? Maybe try dividing the deck into 3 piles, cards you like, don't like, and have no opinion. Then start with your favorite card?

afrosaxon

fluffy said:
I am not sure how it is going at all :( I am doing a daily draw, which doesn't make much sense, reading about the basis of the deck (very interesting), doing readings, but still do not feel inspired.

I am expecting a package soon from Nina a Thoth, it will be my first and am tempted to change my deck, but I know that it is just because I am still not "getting" the Bosch. I've trimmed it, shuffled it, looked at it and yet I am not inspired although I do like the imagery.

Help!

Love Fluffy
xx

Fluffy, are you doing one-card daily draws or more than one card?

Sometimes it's hard to concentrate on just one card (been there, done that). I've even heard of people doing 5-card daily draws (there is actually a thread on this somewhere, but that was months ago. *Shrug*).

Perhaps you could pull more cards than you are now, and see if that helps? Or maybe try a certain spread and see if that helps?

*hugs*

Hang in there!

T.

rwcarter

fluffy said:
I am not sure how it is going at all :( I am doing a daily draw, which doesn't make much sense, reading about the basis of the deck (very interesting), doing readings, but still do not feel inspired.
Something else occurred to me just now (while I was shuffling for my own daily draw no less!). I'm assuming that with your Daily Draw you're trying to see how that card fits into your day. Maybe with the Bosch you need take one or more elements from the cards and make them a part of your day.

I have the deck but will be good and not look ;), but from what I remember, it's a really bizarre deck. Let's say, for example, that there's frivolity going on in one of the cards. Instead of trying to see how frivolity fits into your day (assuming that's one of the meanings you associate with that particular card), instead take every opportunity you can to be frivolous.

Does that make sense?

K, I"m off to interpret my Daily Draw (which is sitting off to my right waiting for me) and post it before going to bed.

Rodney

fluffy

Thanks!

Everyone, I am so glad I am here, you have all been so supportive *hugs all IDS members*.

Following the excellent advice I have received I am going to stick with it for sometime longer and knowing that you will all support me no matter what I choose to do will make the job easier.

Afrosaxon and Rodney I am going to try both your advices by drawing 3 cards for the day and trying to fit it into my day (like rodney suggested). I think 5 cards is too much for me at the moment.

Love to you all & thanks again

Fluffy - bosch student :)

thorhammer

Yay for fluffy!!!! Good for you! FWIW - my "daily" (read: every few days :D) spread, again, is as follows:

1: Where did I progress today?
2: What should I leave behind in today?
3: What should I take from today into tomorrow?

Just in case you'd like to try something a bit different :) Glad to help, mate. Go the Bosch! (Meanwhile I have no idea what this deck even looks like!!! :D)

\m/ Kat

teomat

I haven't 'officially' joined in the IDS, though I have been using my most recent deck (the Tarot Classic) exclusively for the last 3 weeks (a bit of a record for me! :D).

I thought I'd go down the route you all seem to be using (i.e doing daily draws, journalling etc), but it's too much hard work for me. And the more I try, the less interested I become in the deck and start eyeing up my other ones!

I've decided therefore to just 'go with flow' - just muck around with the deck, not worry if I skip a daily draw, and not bother with a journal (unless I really feel compelled to write something about a card/reading). However I WILL stick with it and not use another deck (well, I'll try to anyway! :D).

It sounds a bit lazy I know (and I guess it defeats the purpose of the IDS), but in a weird way it keeps the deck 'fresh' to me. It makes me feel like I'm getting to know the deck over a lifetime, rather than trying to know everything about it in 3 months. I know it won't make me a better reader, but I don't really mind. I guess I'm looking at it as more of a Lazy Deck Study. :)

PeterS

teomat said:
I guess I'm looking at it as more of a Lazy Deck Study. :)

This is funny. Each of us will finish this course in our own way. I have to agree that if you do everything that all of us are doing then you will not only get burned out on your new deck but possible with Tarot itself.

I have to admit that I am not journalling as much as I wanted and it seems that there are a bunch of us that have rethought daily draws. Yet I have been doing more readings than I have in the last couple of months.

I think of this IDS as a marathon not a sprint. This leg of the journey is all about reading. Come late May I might be focused on journalling and not reading as much.

For me the intensive part is the exclusive aspect. If I can keep my hands from reaching out of other decks then I am happy.

Peter

PeterS

Anyone's deck starting to get that worn in feeling yet?

Heck at this point I have used, shuffled, and look through this deck so much that just a couple of weeks ago it looked completely new, now it is starting to get that worn in feeling. And thought I would never think if reconsidering my choice I often think what would have happened if I chose one of my US Games ultra glossy decks? Maybe I could wear them down a bit.

When I pick up my Liber T is is softer and I swear to you it just feels warmer. (I have been trying to charge it up by leaving it in the sunlight when I am not using it. I am a person that absolutely needs sunlight (UV protected of course) or else I get depressed and tired so I expect that any deck that would respond to me would need a good deal of sunlight).

Anyones have a new deck that they started with and is it starting to just feel different in a physical sense?

Peter

teomat

PeterS said:
This is funny. Each of us will finish this course in our own way. I have to agree that if you do everything that all of us are doing then you will not only get burned out on your new deck but possible with Tarot itself.
Yep, this is what I think will happen to me. It'll become almost a chore, and I'll get fed up with the whole thing. So I'm just going to take it easy and not pick up my deck unless I really want to.

As to it getting that worn-in feeling...my deck still feels a bit fresh (probably because I'm not overdosing on it!). But I would love to see it getting a bit ratty! I've thought about laying it in the sun too - not for charging it, but to get it a bit tanned! :D