7 of swords

Thirteen

Lysh said:
I know it can symbolize 'sneakiness' but I still feel uncomfortable with that (or just that).
That discomfort you have with it is actually an essential part of the meaning. 7/Swords often comes up for people who *want* to be honest, straight forward, blunt, and true. They don't want to be sneaky or dishonest. They don't want to steal or trick or deceive. Not even a little white lie. As you say, it makes them squirm with discomfort.

The card comes up for squirmers like you because it's a warning to you: "In this particular situation, you can't achieve your goal by being honorable." Now if telling that little white lie, keeping secrets, being "diplomatic" and saying, "No, that dress doesn't make you look fat" rather than, "My gawd, it makes you look huge!" isn't your cup of tea...well...go right ahead. Be honest. But be aware that you're not going to succeed if you do.

This isn't the card's only meaning, as you see, but it's very possible that this card is telling you that you're likely to see the swarmy, sneaky, "diplomatic" types getting what you want. Because you couldn't keep your mouth shut and they can. Can you live with that? Sometimes, honesty isn't the best policy.

The crowned one

Thirteen said:
That discomfort you have with it is actually an essential part of the meaning. 7/Swords often comes up for people who *want* to be honest, straight forward, blunt, and true. They don't want to be sneaky or dishonest. They don't want to steal or trick or deceive. Not even a little white lie. As you say, it makes them squirm with discomfort.

100% agree. It is represented by the 2 swords in the ground in RWS...wanting to be truthful....

Glass Owl

I also see this card as a reminder that sometimes we have to walk in the grey areas...

kricket25

I received this card recently in a career spread, and I really felt like it was a warning - to keep myself on the "up and up", no matter what.

I've had this card come up for other people that were going to be sneaky and deceive (or try to deceive) me, and I've also had it come up for myself, when it was a warning to play the straight and narrow, and not to take part in any sneakiness (gossip, co-workers doing things they shouldn't, etc.)

Curious1

Like all of the cards, it has many meanings, but the one I associate first is "trying to get away with something" by using intellect (strategy, skill and cunning). It can also represent the belief that "the end justifies the means". This doesn't necessarily mean that what they are doing is "bad" ...could be as benign as planning a surprise get-away for a lover or as malicious as stealing corporate secrets. It is also a stage card in that the thief on the card only appears to be "getting away with something". Could also be that the situation is risky or may call for the skills of a thief (stealth, agility, cunning, confidence, secrecy, strategy, privacy, etc.).

nisaba

I did a spread at the otset of my last major relationship (as you do) and the Seven Swords came up. the person in question had already told me that they lived in a building that also housed a fence and a dealer, and that they needed to get out. I made a judgement call based on that information, that the dishonesty I saw in the card was surrounding them, not in their very nature of managing relationships. I was wrong. Err on the side of caution with this one.

Marquise

For some reason I associate this card with infidelity. Not because of a bad personal experience with the card per say but because it just gives me that vibe. Again it also gives me a sort of discomfort probably because I like being straight with people.

Anyway an interesting experience. THe card came up for me in two relationship spreads relating to the CC spread. One time it came up in the 5th position (what might happen), and now on a second reading done a month later it comes up as 6th position (what will happen). Both questions were different but related concerning a possible new romance. Despite the fact that the outcome was favorable the card makes me uneasy, and I can't figure out either what it's trying to tell me.

Strange card indeed. Great thread, and advice guys!

Sad Gurl

7 of Swords

I always took the card to mean mistrust. For me depedning on other cards in the spread it tells me what kind of mistrust like 5 of Swords or the Moon reversed then I take it to mean actaul theft. For matters of the heart and an unfaithful lover if the 3 of Swords or if there are any cup cards near it. If I find it near a reversed court card I feel that is the sneaky person to watch out for.
If there is no other indicators then I just take it as the querents own mistrust in the sitaution at hand.

I hope that helps you with 7 of Swords.

canid

Many many different interpretations for this card, aren't there? And they're all correct, but also, I think 007 - not always thievery, but planning. Devising methods, using your wit, to win in a situation. In Mary Greer's 'The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals' are ways to help you understand the miriad meanings of this card. It's not at all a bad card, in most cases. Although it can be, just as they all can. For me, this is one of those cards that has way more possible trad meanings than most & needs to be seriously considered in relation to the spread, question, intuition & surrounding cards, not just blurt out 'Thief'! Well, they all have many meanings, but this one in particular. For me.

Lysh

Yes, I need to somehow come to 'peace' with this card. It is interesting to hear other interpretations though. I think the card and I need to just spend some more time together.