A new de-enabling thread

gregory

nisaba said:
<sorrowfully shaking head> I can't. My two Trusty Tarot URLs are both silent on the subject. Where did you hear of it - where can I go to find ammunition about it?
It's here and there are even threads....

Aerin

See this review is enough to put me off http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/kingdom-within/review.shtml due to the high proportion of buzz words and my inability to comprehend what on earth most of it is on about. Words like 'synthesis', 'dense interwoven system', 'alternative system'..... well, I just run at this point.

I don't want metaphysical links. I want a Tarot deck.

Last time I was seduced by 'novelty' and 'interwoven systems' I ended up with the Quest. Oh, and then there's the Merlin. Oh, and another deck whose name I forget 'One is All' or somesuch.

So save yourself stomach ache. And a headache. Why do you want it anyway?????

Aerin

nisaba

Ah. Well, at firth thought, it looks like garbage. remember what occupational psychologists tell you" always print your lies/advertising material on a yellow background, people can't help thinking it's genuine. The website came up all yellow - I was immediately suspicious.

Anything that "...uses tarot to unite Astrology, Qabalah (also spelled “Kabbalah” and “Cabalah”), Mythological Archetypes, the Hero's Journey, the Cyclical Seasons and Elements of the Year, and the sacred story of the Sacrificial Savior" is in deep trouble, too. Look how many (incorrect) ways they spell "QBL", which everyone knows has no aitches or vowels in it.

And I'm not keen on sacrificial saviours, either - pardon me for breathing, but isn't the whole point of being alive, being in a position where you do your own stuff your own way? I'm not looking for a saviour to save me - I'll make my own mistakes - and my own giant leaps - thank you. I don't like my power being taken away by malign or beneficient godforms who don't let me act in my own right.

I dislike decks that force systems and correspondences into them. If I see the correspondences and they work organically, find, but if they've been rivetted in in multiple layers that are impossible to escape I start wearing that haunted look.

Haven't seen any pictures yet. I'm quite glad - wouldn't it be terrible if I reacted positively to the artwork. Do yourself a favour - be immediately suspicious of that yellow background, and run a mile.

Le Fanu

LavenderMist said:
I need to be de-enabled from the tarot of Jane Austen and the Llewellyn

The llewellyn I shall leave to others (but, by the way; recent editions have nasty, nasty cardstock and fraying organza - equally nasty - bag)

But the Jane Austen, what a waste of an opportunity. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to "do" the Jane Austen Tarot in comic style? Talk about misguided. It has these totally inconsequential (bet Llewellyn publishers wouldn´t let any of their tarot writers use that word) images.

This deck has nothing whatsoever to do with The Universe of Jane Austen. I scratch my head whenever I see it (and often confuse it with the Atlantis tarot; artist must be the same). Who on earth thought of this concept?

The ultimate gimmick deck.

cardlady22

re: Jane Austen

Let's just use this real-life example:

My mother-in-law is adamantly against cards/tarot, BUT she adores the Jane Austen books. (hates many of the movie editions) When I mentioned this deck, along with some sneaky references to using decks to collect art, she had me look into it for her. :bugeyed:

Seeing the way they used a particularly onerous movie that designed Scarlett O'Hara costumes for the utterly wrong period, she clammed up. (Now, she DOES like Gone With The Wind in its proper place!) I'll never have the chance to talk to her about tarot things again. :(

magpie9

nisaba said:
<sorrowfully shaking head> I can't. My two Trusty Tarot URLs are both silent on the subject. Where did you hear of it - where can I go to find ammunition about it?

Go here--it's bloody awful, thre's a severed head all new and actually bloody in Wands, the empress is keeping a deformed pregnant woman in a bottle, I am not making this up.
http://www.the-kingdom-within-tarot.com/index.html

magpie9

The Kingdom Within, my A**

The art is beyond belief terrible in this Abomination, greggers. I know you're a Fool for Tarot, but really, you'll never forgive yourself if you buy this thing. It is suitable for stuffing in rat holes. It kills the rats by driving them Insane. They die in the walls and stink forever.
It Is SUCH bad, UNFORGIVABLY BAD ART!!!
And it REEKS of Available Salvation in (get this) middle eastern white robes we've all seen in Bi**e Study. I don't care what religion you are, this is sure to offend you...and actually, probably the most if you happen to be Christian.

No wonder they're looking for a publisher, one thing's certain, none will volunteer. Even US Games that brought us such wonders as the Tapestry Tarot.

Gag me with a Donkey, I have to go wash my eyeballs off. The Images Linger, like Salmonella.

SolSionnach

magpie9 said:
Go here--it's bloody awful, thre's a severed head all new and actually bloody in Wands, the empress is keeping a deformed pregnant woman in a bottle, I am not making this up.
http://www.the-kingdom-within-tarot.com/index.html
iwas really curious about that preggers gal in the bottle. what tha??

But the centaur (chiron?) holding the severed head of - someone/thing? - in the 10 wands is just about the last straw. And to top it all off, it's CGI.

ick ick ick ick ick.

I'm boiling water for the noodles, Gregory, just so you know... })

ETA, I'd love to see Scion evicerate this abomination!!!

Aerin

We are clearly not ready for (I quote from the Kingdom within Tarot site) a tarot that:

"begins with the transcendent, moves through the dynamic, and ends with the mundane".

*laughs hysterically*

Oh COME ON!!!

You can't be serious about wanting this.

Unless it is to get a deck that is sillier than the Power Animal doodah.

Aerin