ACT: Pricing

blackroseivy

I need to know: How scary is $100 to people? This set is going to be EXTREMELY hand-work-intensive... I sure hope I won't lose my customers (many of whom do not seem to be active at the mo)!

Rabbit

It is not scary. People will pay 100 if they like the deck. IMO, it helps if the deck is a limired numbered edition.

gregory

$100 will sell it, if people want it. I have bought more than one handmade deck for that sort of price (we are talking 78 cards, aren't we ? it could be a bit steep for majors only, but I'm sure I saw you do pips...)

What are you packing it in ? Not that it's critical, but I was annoyed to receive a handmade one once - a lovely deck, but it was just in shrinkwrap; I needed a bag the second I had opened it, and as I'd not seen this coming, I had no spares ! That is really annoying ! If not a fabric bag, at least use a ziploc... so we have somewhere to put it away while we start sewing ! :D

PS I am active.....! :D

thinbuddha

I never have paid this much for a tarot deck, and I probably wouldn't unless it was an exceptional deck (the likes of which I have never seen, as of yet) or an antique/vintage deck.

truelighth

I agree with Gregory and I have also paid $100 for handmade decks before. Or even more in some cases. So in any case, you can still keep me on your list :). Handmade decks usually are just more expensive, because they require a lot of work. So I am not surprised.

gregory

thinbuddha said:
I never have paid this much for a tarot deck, and I probably wouldn't unless it was an exceptional deck (the likes of which I have never seen, as of yet) or an antique/vintage deck.
Many handmade decks are exceptional. I have paid that much for a number of these.... They take one HELL of a lot of work, not to mention the cost of materials - which are often better quality than those used my publishers. I know this from putting together a deck for my own use - it took AGES. And I didn't even design it ! (before anyone hits me, it was a copyright free one I printed and laminated myself.)

But just from doing that I can imagine what it must take to get them to a professional standard. The rest is just whether or not you like the cards. If you don't - you won't buy them. That's a whole separate issue. Danubhe has done her market research already on that one ! Many of us do !

thinbuddha

Oh- there is no arguing the amount of work that would go into this. I doubt if you could ever make it worth your while, monitarily speaking, at $100 a pop. If they are truly hand made, $100 is too little to ask (but still more than I would pay)

-tb

blackroseivy

Eh, I'm only concerned with those who don't mind high prices anyway. ;)

Thanx, peeps! :D I am coming along with it, & YES most certainly there are SCENED pips. With ANCIENT RELICS as the subject matter. :eek:

As to packaging:

Funny enough that you should mention it, greg. :) I am going to be sewing the bags together myself out of (woad-dyed??) blue linen. Inside, there will be a (hopefully) hand-sewn booklet (FAR more archival than rusting staples!!!) & the deck itself will be bound together with a parchment strip `a la LS (tried making boxes. Failed). Also: I have a simply GORGEOUS design of Celtic swirls, a lozenge-shaped whorl, with which I will be stamping the set in various places in gold ink.

The cards themselves will all be hand-varnished...

*SIGH*

This is a LOT of work, folks.

& yes, they are probably worth more. But not at the expense of customers!!! (i.e. I would FAR rather sell all 50 decks than half of them for twice the price, if you get what I'm saying!).

So I will continue to work.

Meanwhile, just be watching this space for the announcement. I have exactly 20 cards to go - not so very many when you consider how many they add up to - ! - & I do know how quickly the Majors rolled out.

So! Thanx again, be back REAL soon (I hope I hope I hope) with PRINTING NEWZ!! :D

Sidhe-Ra

I'll let you know how rich I'm feeling when it comes out! I certainly like the cards, and what I read of the book was great- will that be included?

Blessings,

Em x

blackroseivy

Like I said - hand-bound!!! ;)