amazon is weird

Aladdin

This is a bit like some interwebby services offering to lead the enquirer into "similar" sites.
Heard a horror story recently about a gent who was looking for 'big blonds' and rapidly became the recipient of messages from 'braless persons'........

SunChariot

zan_chan said:
I just got one of those "you bought this, so how about this" emails from amazon (.co.jp in my case) but this one, I think, deserves some special attention.

"You ordered 'The Victorian Romantic Tarot kit' so we'd like to recommend "Shadow Government: How the Secret Global Elite is Using Surveillance Against You'."

Is there a connection here that is obvious to everyone else that I am somehow missing?

Maybe some kind of hidden message that I should be made aware of?

Or does amazon really just not put any thought at all into these recommendations?

That really is funny!!! My recommendations they send me have actually always been very good. I have bought many of the books and decks they suggested. Must be a computer error, like the crossed your file with the person's above of after yours.

Then again I use amazon.ca But I hear amazon is better in some countries than in others.

Babs

zan_chan

Hi gang,

Glad you found my last amazon recommendation as funny as I did.

However, today I got another doozy from good 'ol amazon.co.jp

"You ordered 'Mlle. Lenormand Wahrsagekarten' so we'd like to recommend 'The Don't Even Think About It!: 101 Dangerous Things Not To Do Before You Grow Old!'"

Discuss.

Jaqueline

I'm pretty old - I'd kinda like to know what those dangerous things are! Did you order that book?

gregory

Well thanks for that. I just went to see my recommendations and they are loads of tarot stuff + scads of - Dr Seuss. :D That's quite GOOD actually - but why ? I never bought a Seuss book there.....

Vesper

Jaqueline said:
I'm pretty old - I'd kinda like to know what those dangerous things are! Did you order that book?

Me, too, so I looked up the book. It's for kids. Things not to do include making your own bunson burner, racing down hills in go-carts, building your own tree house. (All things I did as a kid, except that first one: Mom had an electric stove.)

SunChariot

I just bought something (some new decks by Sulamith Wulfing) from Amazon and as always the recommendations for me were quite good. They tend to be good recommendations for me and I have gotten some of them more than once. This time they were all things I would be potentially interested in. Maybe mine are so accurate because I shop there SO often. I buy all my decks there and all my books. I happen to read a lot and have someone of an addiction to new decks. It could be that it gets more accurate the more frequently you use (?)

Babs

PS, 10 minutes after I wrote this, I got another recommendation from them for an audio book: Taoist Breathing for Tai Chi and Meditation: Twenty-Four Exercises to Reduce Stress, Build Mental Stamina, and Improve Your Health [Audiobook]

It went right on my wish list. I do want it but can't afford it just yet.

avalonian

zan_chan said:
Hi gang,

Glad you found my last amazon recommendation as funny as I did.

However, today I got another doozy from good 'ol amazon.co.jp

"You ordered 'Mlle. Lenormand Wahrsagekarten' so we'd like to recommend 'The Don't Even Think About It!: 101 Dangerous Things Not To Do Before You Grow Old!'"

Discuss.

Makes me tempted to order from Amazon Japan just for the entertainment.

:) :) :)

zan_chan

I'm starting to think that the Victorian Romantic must be some kind of cult and you guys are all keeping its dark secrets from me. These 3-4 weeks wait for it to come are becoming harder by the second with all these crazy recommendations. Got this today:

"You ordered 'The Victorian Romantic Tarot kit' so we'd like to recommend '2012 and the Shift of the Ages: A Hopi Guide to the End of the World'."

It's some kind of doomsday device, the VR, isn't it? That's why amazon has the government spying on me in the first place. I'm afraid all of you VR cult members will kill me if I continue, so I'll just end this here.

Sebavin

*sobs*

Sadly, the VR is part of a secret conspiracy....one I am unfortunately not a part of :(.

Enjoy your new decks, and thanks for the hilarious thread :).