book/books by A E Waite

Lillie

Thank you wandking. You are quite right.
My primary interest in these books is not fortune telling, but understanding what the designer/ertist meant when he/she used certain symbols. The philosophy behind the cards.
Not that I am averse to fortune telling, but that is a whole different thing, and one which (for me) does not need an in depth understanding of the symbology. It is meerly a matter of letting my mind go and seeing where it leads, saying what comes into my head using the cards as a focus. (if you know what I mean, you'll know what I mean, if not I can't explain any better. Sorry)

Vincent. Thank you for the info on the Star, the cubic block and all that. It was very helpful. That all ties in with some other stuff. Cheers.
I have always been a bit funny about Masons. They don't let women join, so I've always had the reaction of 'you don't want me? well, **** you then.' So, I've tended to ignore most stuff about Masons (unless it also concerns Jack the Ripper), which was probably an oversight on my part. as however misogynistic they may be, their ideas have had a big impact on occult philosophy.

As for Waite being difficult, he is, as much as anyone from that time is difficult. Wether they are writing fiction or philosophy they all seem to have this obfusticated way of writing. (if obfusticated is not a word I don't care. I like how it sounds). None of them will use a simple sentence when they can write a paragraph instead.
Except for De Quincey's Opium Eater. He would rather write a whole chapter where a sentence would have sufficed.
But that's a different book entirely.
Occultists from this period are always unneccesarily cryptic. But Waite, once you get used to his style, is quite comprehensible. My problem lies in what he choose to say, and what he chooses to leave out.

Have I learned anything from Waites book? Yes, I suppose I have, and anyway, a book for 99p is never wasted, put it on a fire and it wil keep you warm for at least 10 minutes.

I said I was not stupid, nor am I particularly ignorant. I almost took offence there, but in the end I couldn't be bothered.
No one knows everything, and therefore we are all ignorant of certain things. However I am not more ignorant than most, and I am a lot less ignorant than some.

I am more used to Crowleys writings than to Waites, from a occult point of view I have always stood with more modern traditions, Chaos etc. but I have studied more Crowley than any other occultist of his time.
Never the less, I would have liked even more from him in the Thoth book, he can be as (if not more) cryptic, than the rest of them. But I, personally. find more in his book than in Waites.

Damn, I've got to go. I've got to put the cabbage on.

I expect I'll find more to say later.

Vincent

Lillie said:
I said I was not stupid, nor am I particularly ignorant. I almost took offence there, but in the end I couldn't be bothered.
No one knows everything, and therefore we are all ignorant of certain things. However I am not more ignorant than most, and I am a lot less ignorant than some.
It certainly wasn't meant to be offensive. As you say, everyone is ignorant to some degree. It depends on where you focus your energy as to what subject you will become knowledgeable about.
Lillie said:
I am more used to Crowleys writings than to Waites, from a occult point of view I have always stood with more modern traditions, Chaos etc. but I have studied more Crowley than any other occultist of his time.
Never the less, I would have liked even more from him in the Thoth book, he can be as (if not more) cryptic, than the rest of them. But I, personally. find more in his book than in Waites.
So do I. And, a lot of the ideas in Crowley's book and deck can be applied to the RWS.

I am not trying to make the case that Waite's book is the best book that could ever be written, simply that it is the best one available. That doesn't mean that you can't get anything from other books or writers, but it should be cross-checked with Waite, as a matter of course. Other books can shed a great deal of light on what Waite has to say, especially Golden Dawn derived writings like Crowley, Case and Mathers.

Vincent

Vincent

wandking said:
Not only with Waite and Crowley but also with Tarot in general, a basic grasp of numerology and astrology is helpful in grasping card meanings. Waite seems to lean more toward numerology, while Crowley places emphisis on astrology.
What leads you to that conclusion?
wandking said:
I am familiar with this Masonic premise: "One of the ideas of Masonry is that a man starts life as a rough stone, and by processes of initiation he becomes a perfect stone, a cube. This cubic stone is referred to as an "ashlar", and once the man is raised to the highest degree, he becomes a "perfect ashlar." How would one apply that to meanings on the Star?
This is a question that would probably be more suited to the RWS Forum. Maybe you would like to put it in there. It may lead to an interesting discussion.

Vincent

Vincent

wandking said:
Are we to assume Waite was so devoid of character that he wrote the PKT only for fortune telling, which he deplored. I think not!
At least one of Waite's contemporaries thought so;

"Mr. Waite has written a book on fortune-telling, and we advise servant-
girls to keep an eye on their half-crowns. We have little sympathy or pity
for the folly of fashionable women; but housemaids need protection ___
hence their affection for policemen and soldiers ___ and we fear that Mr.
Waite's apologies will not prevent professional cheats from using his
instructions for their frauds and levies of blackmail.
As to Mr. Waite's constant pomposities, he seems to think that the
obscurer his style and the vaguer his phrases, the greater initiate he will
appear.
Nobody but Mr. Waite knows "all" about the Tarot, it appears; and he won't
tell.

wandking said:
I believe the book reflects a man of great character that took his vows of secrecy seriously. Waite was interested in passing along the deeper meanings of cards but had no inclination to reveal Masonic symbolism while doing so, which causes his book to seem less than elucidating.
It wasn't just Masonic oaths he was keeping. And, if he intended to keep these oaths, then for whom was the deck intended? This is from the same review;

"Thus, to my own knowledge Mr. Waite is an initiate (of a low grade) and
well aware of the true attribution of the Tarot. Now, what I want to know
is this: is Mr. Waite breaking his obligation and proclaiming himself (to
quote the words of his own Oath) "a vile and perjured wretch, void of all
moral worth, and unfit for the society of all upright and just persons,"
and liable in addition to "the awful and just penalty of submitting himself
voluntarily to a deadly and hostile current of will ... by which he should
fall slain or paralysed as if blasted by the lightning flash" ___ or, is he
selling to the public information which he knows to inexact?
When this dilemma is solved, we shall feel better able to cope with the
question of the Art of Pamela Coleman Smith."

Vincent

Lillie

Give that man a biscuit!!!
That's so funny.
Who wrote it?

Vincent

Lillie said:
Give that man a biscuit!!!
That's so funny.
Who wrote it?
Oh... did I forget to mention it....

Aleister Crowley

Vincent

Lillie

Oh god! I'm going to die laughing.

That's my mate Al.
Get the goat and we'll all have a party.

:D :D :D :D

wandking

vincent, in an earlier post you wrote:

"Thanks for taking the time to respond to what was essentially a rhetorical question. There is some good information there."

I regret that I lack time to respond to these rhetorical questions you continue to ask about the Waite book. By definition, a "rhetorical question" is one asked "merely for effect with no answer expected." What effects are you attempting to elicit from me, with persistent rhetoric, as you vacillate between posting first numerous entries touting the importance of Waites' book and then resort to posting an individual opinion about the book that you obviously disagree with. Are you simply confussed? I hope in answering the previous "rhetorical" questions you've asked I've alleviated at least some of your confussion.

Vincent

wandking said:
"Thanks for taking the time to respond to what was essentially a rhetorical question. There is some good information there."

I regret that I lack time to respond to these rhetorical questions you continue to ask about the Waite book.
What rhetorical questions would they be?

As far as I know, there has only been one, and that was pointed out to you.
wandking said:
By definition, a "rhetorical question" is one asked "merely for effect with no answer expected." What effects are you attempting to elicit from me, with persistent rhetoric,
I don't see much rhetoric, let alone "persistent rhetoric". Answers were expected for all the questions I asked, except one. (And what a delicious slice of irony that answer turned out to be.)

Also, what I am trying to elicit from you, is nothing more than accuracy and fairness, but perhaps you regard that as nit-picking.

You have posted several errors of fact, arrived at conclusions inconsistent with facts, and generally seem ill-informed about Waite.
wandking said:
...as you vacillate between posting first numerous entries touting the importance of Waites' book and then resort to posting an individual opinion about the book that you obviously disagree with. Are you simply confussed?
I'm certainly confused by this statement.

What individual opinion are you referring to, that I "obviously disagree with"?

I usually make a point of agreeing with my own opinions. Especially my individual opinions.
wandking said:
I hope in answering the previous "rhetorical" questions you've asked I've alleviated at least some of your confussion.
You are (again) assuming facts not in evidence. There is no confusion... at least none on my part.

Vincent

Vincent

Vincent

Fulgour said:
That would be sad if it were true. But as we reckon,
even the people who have it know it's a lot of taffy.

"I invite them only for their personal relief to close the book at
this point before it closes itself against them."

The Hidden Church of the Holy Graal.
AE Waite