Crystal Ball

Emily

I was wandering around the local bric-a-brac market yesterday in my town and noticed a small crystal ball. I've never really done any scrying, apart from candle and fire, but this ball called to me lol. I took it from its box and looked into it, I saw reflections and colours mainly but it was a new and different experience. The stall holder said it was old, its in a battered silk lined box with a little stand - he then knocked down the price for me so I ended up walking away with a crytal ball measuring 2 1/2 inches high for just £4, which is a bargain.

But how can you tell if its crystal or glass? It has no marks, except where its been dropped at least once - luckily it just adds to the beauty of it, so its just clear, its very heavy and cold. I bought it thinking it must be glass but now I'm not so sure.

I know next to nothing about crystal scrying so though I would ask and see who does it on here. :)

Edited to add:-

I've wanted a crystal ball for years and couldn't believe my luck when I saw a small one just sitting there looking lonely. :)

Astraea

Hi, Emily. Congratulations on finding your gazing ball - whether crystal or glass, if it called to you it wants to be yours and it will work for you.

A gemologist friend of mine once told me that glass (as opposed to crystal) frequently contains bubbles and/or an internal ripple effect that looks similar to heat waves rising from pavement; there are sometimes mold marks on the glass, as well. A crystal tends to have inclusions such as colored particles, sheets and layers, and irregularities.

Then again, sometimes genuine crystal is ground and added to glass, and the two are mixed to create a ball of excellent clarity (without inclusions).

Centaur

Hi Emily,

I read somewhere that crystal is heavier than glass also: more weight.

C

Moonbow

Hi Emily

I have thought of getting a crystal ball many times. There's one in a shop near me and it just calls my name every time I visit the shop. I started a thread about scrying a while ago, which I have found for you. Not many replies but here it is anyway: scrying

Moonbow*

poivre

I have a small one. It was just one of those things I had to have, just because.
One reader I went to had one & he told me just to put my hand on the top of it,as he read my cards. He also told me not to look in it just to rest your hands on so your concious is clear.

Mabee if we were just to rest or hold the crystal with our hands this would clear our mind & then we would have crystal clear vision to what our conscious want us to see.
Mabee it is just the tool like the cards to relax the mind.

Just an idea,I have put mine away so there is no harm done to it, till I get ready to use it.

Emily

Hi Astraea, Centaur, MoonBow, Ros,

Thanks for your replies. :)

Astraea, I think it may be crystal mixed with glass. It has no little bubbles, molding marks or anything that looks artificial but I also don't think its pure crystal because it has no flaws at all, looking through it is like looking into water.

It picks up everything, light, reflections, it looks lovely with a candle behind it. I saw clouds in it this morning, all swirling lol. It is relaxing just holding it, its like holding ice but when you start to look into it then the colours and reflections make it harder to focus - I'm looking forward to getting to know this ball better.

I still can't believe my luck in getting it, I didn't tell the stall holder but I would have pain the price he wanted for it - I think he dropped the price more out of interest than anything else because I think I was holding it for a couple of minutes, enthralled lol - He must have thought he wasn't going to get rid of me lol :D

Thanks for the link MoonBow :)

Astraea

Hi, Emily! Yes, the ball does sound like a crystal-and-glass blend, which is very nice -- you have the clarity of glass and the vibration of the crystal. It's wonderful that you're already seeing things in it.

Jewel-ry

I've been hinting for the last couple of weeks aabout how a Crystal Ball would be a greeeaaat Mothers Day pressie! We'll see...its only 4 weeks away.

J :)

Aure

I've been thinking about getting a crystal ball as well. I'm just not sure what kind.
There's a shop nearby in the old market hall where they have all kinds of stones and crystals and the lady there said that you could get a grade B rock crystal ball for about 40 € (middle sized, don't remember exactly how big) but if you buy a grade A ball the price jumps into over 300 €...

I don't know you can see stuff in a crystal ball or should it be totally clear or with inclusions. I like the ones with those particles that reflect rainbows :)

zorya

Emily said:
I think he dropped the price more out of interest than anything else because I think I was holding it for a couple of minutes, enthralled lol
congratulations on your find, emily :)
i feel spheres make such a wonderful shape to hold, not only because they feel so smooth and comforting, but because they disperse energy equally in all directions. (unlike a point, which directs it)