Divination and Christianity

frelkins

Indigo Rose had an excellent post about this a while ago. It was a nice passage where the Bible says that if a believer asks God sincerely, all "hidden things will be revealed to them in truth." or something like that.

IR knows her stuff, and I was convinced that these fundies give divination a bad rap.

willowfox

I would take no notice of these over the top christians who want to shove the bible down your throat at every opportunity, because where is this satan that they talk about. It is all fantasy and over worked imaginations, there is no such person as satan, he was simply invented to fill a gap by the christians. Anyway, the bible was written by man for man. And if you want to delve deeper then you will find that the christian god was nothing more than a local god for some desert dwellers. A god of thunder or something like that, invented to fill a gap for the local nomads.

So how can anyone who is intelligent say that tarot cards, astrology , runes etc are evil? All these subjects are great to study, they are all enlightening and illuminating, the work of clever and peaceful people.

Azarial

As a Christian, I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with divination. In many passages in the bible, it even talks about people using divination and not being damned for it. The bible has been interpreted and reinterpreted so many times it's difficult to say whether it is ok or not because we can't really read the original text, and honestly the passages seem to contradict each other in regards to whether or not it's ok to do. I hope that it's not the work of Satan like so many have said, but I guess if it is, I was wrong. People have so many different theories about why Tarot works, and none of us can really say for sure why it does or how it does. It's kind of scary to think that if all of these Christians are right, and it really is the work of the devil that we are in fact using him to tell us these hidden things, and what is it that he is going to want from us in return one day. But anyway, like I said, I think it's ok to do, but I can't say for certain because there is nothing in this world that I know for sure, and it would be ignorant of me to say that I do know. I do know that when I die, all will be revieled to me and I wont be wondering anymore.

Emily

Kenny said:
I talked to him about tarot and he said it is the work of Satan.

This morning he came in with a newsletter from Derek Prince Ministry called 'Understanding Your Enemy'.

After reading the newsletter I had doubts about the rightness of divination and tarot reading--this is from a person who had do doubts about it before I read the letter. Imagine a person who is not so sure about tarot, runes, astrology, and the like, reading this letter. It would put them off for life and make them, maybe, devoted to 'save' others.

I've read these types of devout christian newsletter before. You say you have doubts now about divination but its just one newsletter from one Ministry, of course your friend will try to convert you to his brand of Christianity.

I was a Methodist, where tarot was frowned upon too - as far as they were concerned I was fast-tracking to Hell and close to shaking hands with the Devil - instead I let organised religion go. If I want to feel close to God now, I go for a walk, I listen to the birdsong or children playing.

If in your heart you really are having serious doubts then maybe tarot/divination isn't for you and your life will follow a different path.
Ask you God for guidance.

Abrac

I respectfully disagree that we do not have access to the original texts. There is an abundance of original source documents for the New Testament, a lot more than many other classic works. I am confining my comments to the NT because it is the primary source for Christian theology. I agree there are many references to divination being used in the Old Testament but Christians don't base their beliefs and practices on the OT. The NT Christians did rely on supernatural revelation, but not divination by use of oracles.

jmd

I wonder if the person who presented the letter knows who deluded him into thinking tarot or divination is the work of Satanic beings?

The crowned one

jmd said:
I wonder if the person who presented the letter knows who deluded him into thinking tarot or divination is the work of Satanic beings?

If he believes it, then he will attract that sort of energy and that in itself will make it a reality for him. Our minds are that powerful.

mac22

Kenny said:
Mod's I'm not sure where this should be but I'm taking a guess it might fit in Talking Tarot. If not please move it to the right section.

I know this guy at work, he's a cool guy, friendly, chatty, non-pushy, funny at times. Once he found out that I am intrested in Christianity (serious I am) he started getting very slightly conversiony (not too bad and it's intresting).

I talked to him about tarot and he said it is the work of Satan.

This morning he came in with a newsletter from Derek Prince Ministry called 'Understanding Your Enemy'.

After reading the newsletter I had doubts about the rightness of divination and tarot reading--this is from a person who had do doubts about it before I read the letter. Imagine a person who is not so sure about tarot, runes, astrology, and the like, reading this letter. It would put them off for life and make them, maybe, devoted to 'save' others.

The Jews used Divination in the OT as did the nascent Christians in the NT. So those Christians who say or preach otherwise should do a little deeper study in the Word [the Bible], history & archeology.

mac22

memries

I will answer this Kenny from the present, not going back into history.

I see myself as a Christian. However, having said that I have come to realize through many studies, psychology and an active dream life there is much more than I can grasp or understand. This leads me to Archetypal Symbols. Many and I would dare say all Tarot Cards represent Archetypal Symbols to one extent or another. Tarot cards are really a life story involving all the characters and situations you probably will meet in a lifetime.

I have never read or learned anything yet that would explain to me why I dream the things I do at whatever level they come. I have been to many places. I am not responsible for that so whatever happens in my dreams, while I may have some control therein are not my fault. From this basis I have studied and searched over many years.

I studied Carl Jung really a lot and agree with him and Joseph Campbell in whatever I have understood that they have presented.

I know the word divination is used and I certainly do not think of that word as being soiled at all so use it quite freely. (the word divine is within it)
If I can look at a person and see an aura of energy around them the word used is divination. That is nonsense for many people do not ever look at the top of a tall tree never mind really looking at a person. All you are doing is looking what is wrong with that ?
In my opinion and probably not so humble at that the lowest common denominator is always addressed loudly over and over. Read the Mystics and you will see that this controversy has been going on for hundred of years and that there were always people who looked deeper and were challenged.

I think rather that the wrongness involved is the effort to put blinkers on everyone that thinks for himself and to ignore God given gifts and talents.

It is your life, do as you wish by all means.

I do not want to get into religion but I am well studied and can back up my beliefs from that angle as well. The 2000 year history of the Christian Church is very bloody and awful. Before that there were many, many cultures preceding it and even at the beginning of the Old Testament there were many cultures as well. The Old Testament is a written history of the Jews and we are known as Jeudo-Christians on that basis.

It may be that it will take you some time to study and research and come to your own conclusions about what you believe. It has made my Faith stronger, not weaker. I have grown into having what I think of as a world view but there is so much I do not know.... the search continues.

mac22

memries said:
It may be that it will take you some time to study and research and come to your own conclusions about what you believe. It has made my Faith stronger, not weaker. I have grown into having what I think of as a world view but there is so much I do not know.... the search continues.

I would also point out Robert Lomas makes the point in _Turning the Hiram Key_ that the human mind is keyed in to Ritual & Spirituality...:)

mac22