Divination and Christianity

cdabs

Follow up to Abrac's Biblical quote

Yep...Abrac...LOTS were used by the 11 Apostles (Jesus' disciples; Acts 1:26) to find a 12th (Matthias) after Judas Iscariot's betrayal (and after Jesus' resurrection).

I looked up "LOTS" in the concordance (NIV Bible)... here's what it said: "one of the ways used in Bible times to find out God's will about a matter. It is something like drawing straws."

There were references in the Gospels, as well, where the soldiers divided up Jesus' clothing by drawing lots.

So...wouldn't "drawing lots" be "divination?" The fact that Jesus' Disciples drew lots to find out God's will...puts an interesting twist, I think, on the whole "Tarot is evil" matter. I mean...we're still talking about divination, right?

There were other references to "signs," (Mark 16:17, for example) etc... which need to be heeded (then and now). Jesus spoke in parables (Gospels; which needed interpretation for context/comprehension).

The Lesson Of The Fig Tree (Mark 13:28-31) was an analogy of the end times...

I would certainly say prayer can also be a form of "direction" (divination?) for us.

I believe many anti-Tarot Christians probably haven't done the research/reading necessary to make informed decisions about many subjects in the Bible. Assumptions can't be good if you're only basing them on someone else's interpretation. I mean...there are all sorts of "bandwagons" people jump on (racism, politics, religion, etc.). Information/research is "key."

That's my take...

Myrrha

Divination is seeking input from the divine. Some conservative Christians will tell you any kind of divination or relying on your own inner contact with God is a bad idea because the devil will sneak in there and put his own ideas into your reading or into your heart. They tell you this because they don't want you to commune with God or seek God's will on your own, they want you to just believe what the pastor says and do what you are told. It is a control thing.

Talking with people from different denominations might be a good idea and give you a more rounded picture. Find someone from a liberal Church of England church and see what they say.

Abrac

When the 11 cast lots in Acts, it was before they had received the Holy Spirit. They were acting on the best understanding they had at the time. After they were baptized with the Holy Spirit their entire perspective changed and lots are never heard of again as a part of their practice, at least in the New Testament.

Nocturnal Lure

As a non Christian, well... non traditional at least I still don't understand how books written by men can tell you the laws of deities.

I think men claiming to know God's will should be considered blasphemers by their own rules.

Discussions on how to interpret the Bible, how to translate, which texts are considered canon and should be included, which apocrypha’s hold value... have been going on for centuries. And in my opinion your views might be considered as valuable as those of any other.

Personally I think that what counts most is how you perceive Tarot yourself. I know people who consider it a form of two-way prayer, communicating with the divine... whoever your deity may be. In which case there might not be a better way of exercising your faith. When you believe the Tarot receives it's information from less pure sources you're willingly opposing what you believe is "good".

So what do you believe drives Tarot? Is it a connection tot the divine or even just a neat system with cardboard and ink? No probs, no crisis of faith necessary. If you feel the tarot is moved by unknown dark forces or cursed spirits roaming the earth... yeah you might have a problem with the big guy.

But off course that's just my views... ;-)

JSNYC

Please note that the following is only my personal opinion.

I do think the Bible says that divination is detrimental (wrong, sinful, harmful, whatever), but prophesy is not. The difference between the two is motivation. So essentially, this comes down to a common theme in the Bible, it is what is in the heart that matters. I completely agree with Nocturnal Lure.

Jeremiah chapter 14

14: Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.
As with any tool, Tarot cards are not intrinsically "evil", it is what you do with them. Any tool is as "good" or "bad" as we make it.

Freddie

The book of Revelations - automatic writing by Saint John

Jesus and the apostles predict future events sometimes with physical superstitions etc...birds crowing... a kiss..... a star in the sky...... etc

What about the Magi at the nativity..an astrologer/magician

too many to mention

The Holy Spirit has always been since the beginning of the world, she/he did not arrive after Jesus. The early Christians recieved the gift of the Holy Spirit, because Jesus paid the price for humankind to recieve salvation.

Freddie