Feedback Please - My First Tarot Deck

Riverdancer

cloud9 said:
I think the death card has a wonderful feel to it. Thumbs up for this one.
Do you think you might be changing the naming convention? The actual word death doesn't necessarily seem to fit with this image although the meanings I usually ascribe to the death card do come through, if you know what I mean.

Can't wait to see your next card.

Thank you, cloud9. :) If I am able to self-publish,I am definitely changing the naming convention. I intend, if all goes well, to write my own accompanying book, but I will do this once all the cards have been created. I am going to start looking around for a printer. I see this card more about transformation, especially since I don't believe that physical death is the end of the soul's journey.

cloud9

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Transformation serves as a much better name for that card.

Riverdancer said:
Thank you, cloud9. :) If I am able to self-publish,I am definitely changing the naming convention. I intend, if all goes well, to write my own accompanying book, but I will do this once all the cards have been created. I am going to start looking around for a printer. I see this card more about transformation, especially since I don't believe that physical death is the end of the soul's journey.

Aura Wolf

I love what you've done so far with the Death card--I'm looking forward to seeing more. I also like the second one for the Empress--beautiful--though I could also see her as one of the queens, potentially.

jackdaw*

Oh my!

for the Empress - I prefer the first one.

These are beautiful, I would love to see you continue with the full deck!

cirom

I've followed this thread with great interest. There are various decks available and being produced that are digital montages of photographs or existing works of art by other artists, with themes based on style and historical periods of art history. This one is particularly well done and I personally like the choices you've made for the sample cards.
My only caveat to this kind of approach and imagery is that its even more sensitive to the subjectivity of the characteristics, features and poses of the original artworks in order to best communicate the message and feel of any given card. Depending on those percieved qualities of facial expression etc, any given image might arguably be one of any number of cards. You seem to be controlling this quite nicely by the merging of other items into you image, such as flowers etc. In my opinion that will be the key to applying a sense of uniformity that will turn of collection of 78 varying art images into a more personal cohesive set. I raise this observation as something to consider as you proceed with the rest of the project, nevertheless I really like the images I've seen so far and my personal preference is the second one for the Empress.

Good luck.

delizt

what a gorgeous start to a deck! I prefer the first Empress and look forward to the continuation of this deck

Riverdancer

Star Spirit said:
I love what you've done so far with the Death card--I'm looking forward to seeing more. I also like the second one for the Empress--beautiful--though I could also see her as one of the queens, potentially.

Thank you, Star Spirit. :)

I think the Death card is my favourite so far. I'm working on my Aces at the moment, between professional commitments, but will continue sharing my efforts with all of you here. You have been so supportive.

Riverdancer

cirom said:
I've followed this thread with great interest. There are various decks available and being produced that are digital montages of photographs or existing works of art by other artists, with themes based on style and historical periods of art history. This one is particularly well done and I personally like the choices you've made for the sample cards.
My only caveat to this kind of approach and imagery is that its even more sensitive to the subjectivity of the characteristics, features and poses of the original artworks in order to best communicate the message and feel of any given card. Depending on those percieved qualities of facial expression etc, any given image might arguably be one of any number of cards. You seem to be controlling this quite nicely by the merging of other items into you image, such as flowers etc. In my opinion that will be the key to applying a sense of uniformity that will turn of collection of 78 varying art images into a more personal cohesive set. I raise this observation as something to consider as you proceed with the rest of the project, nevertheless I really like the images I've seen so far and my personal preference is the second one for the Empress.

Good luck.

Thank you so much, Cirom. Your advice is invaluable to me. You are right that "any given image might arguably be one of any number of cards", and that I must, therefore, be very, very careful in the choices I make. You have perceived my intentions regarding the uniformity of my cards very well indeed. I am attempting to do this through, as you say, "the merging of other items into each image." I have moved on to the Aces, but I think the Majors will be completed before the Minors. Your encouragement is most heartening and I am very grateful for it. The challenge, of course, will be to maintain this uniformity throughout all of the 78 cards. My plan is to have very cohesive Majors and the four individual suits, and then to unify the whole.

Some find that the second Empress would lend itself better to the Queen of Cups, but I am, now, inclined towards her. Perhaps she does not appear as authoritarian as might be desired, but I think there are different types of strength.

It is all a slow process because I have to balance creating with the strictures of earning a living, but I will share my efforts as they progress, and hope I will be able to benefit, again, from some more of your very sound advice and kind encouragement. I value plain speaking, and am always in need of the most candid of suggestions.

Thank you again! :)

Riverdancer

delizt said:
what a gorgeous start to a deck! I prefer the first Empress and look forward to the continuation of this deck

Thank you, Delizt. Your kind words about my efforts are very much appreciated. The Empress question is a conundrum, although I am leaning towards the second. I think the Emperor will decide the issue. I think I will have to make create two cards and see what pair might work the best. :)

I hope I shall see you here again.