How about folks leave their religion out of tarot

willowfox

Aerin said:
If you find some people's posts aggravating then I think you can filter them out from your viewing of the forum. You can certainly also set things up so that a given forum doesn't appear on the board for you.

It's somewhere in the control panel, sorry I can't remember where.

Aerin

Ah, yes, good idea but what happens when a poster starts spouting off in "using tarot cards"? Like in the middle of a neutral thread?

Moonbow

Can you please define 'spouting off'?

franniee

I understand the essence of what you are saying Willowfox. But everybody's evolution is different. Tarot is spiritual - it's about spirituality - it isn't as black and white as you see it to others. It is not a religion but it does expand your spirituality - your oneness with the universe - your trust in your guides etc.... fill in the blank here. :) And this makes people question aspects about their beliefs and they get uncomfortable.

Many people put a lot of emphasis on religion and it's doctrine etc.... it grounds them - makes them feel whole. They were taught a specific way and as they evolve they have a hard time letting go (or rethinking) their beliefs.. This forum is a wonderful place for people to discuss what they are feeling and how to come to terms with this or that.

The fact that they are here at all means that they are in a tower moment with their spirituality and direction. This is wonderful! They just want to figure a way to fit it all in their life and get to the rebirth (judgment/Aeon).

BTW Lots of topics and threads have been extremely redundant in the past year that I have been here but hey that is part of the nature of the beast I guess. :heart:

willowfox

Moonbow* said:
Can you please define 'spouting off'?

Bringing the word "god" (the christian variety) into the proceedings when it was clearly uncalled for. Again, religious fears being introduced into a neutral thread.

Sphinxmoth

GenoviaJ said:
I do not believe one can separate religion from tarot, since it aligns with a belief system and spirituality. This post reminds me of some serious topics which address "purity" of any form of thought. There is no such thing, its all connect and each thing draws on or reflects the others. I love reading you willowfox and I have come to respect you a great deal, but I cant agree on this one. We all have pet peeves and I respect this being one of yours- great to know if I am ever reading for you or interacting with here.

I do *not* believe tarot (as put into practice) *necessarily* aligns with a belief system or spirituality. Certainly it can, and *certainly* it does, but it doesn't *have* to. It does not for me.

willowfox

Some christains it would seem want to play with fire but are always afraid of getting burnt by their cards or their involvement with any aspect of tarot, so basically why do it in the first place?

Sphinxmoth

franniee said:
BTW Lots of topics and threads have been extremely redundant in the past year that I have been here but hey that is part of the nature of the beast I guess. :heart:

Sure it is. No harm, no foul over that. It's part and parcel of a *huge* messageboard forum which continually attracts new members. I liked Afrosaxon's reply here, very much.

Sphinxmoth

willowfox said:
Some christains it would seem want to play with fire but are always afraid of getting burnt by their cards or their involvement with any aspect of tarot, so basically why do it in the first place?

Some people are trying to break out, too. It takes time, it takes courage. Courage can fail. Then come back. It takes tolerance from others who see them going through it. Deprogramming could be a painful process for many people. As painful to experience as it is to watch.

willowfox

Sphinxmoth said:
If you are talking about the superstitious-fear thing I've seen dredged up from people's psyches from time to time, ("I don't know- I'm interested in tarot, but I get wierd vibes, nightmares from sleeping with my deck, so-and-so says it's evil (that one gets me the most)- should I do what my fundamentalist relatives say and burn my decks, repent my sins", blahdeblah) yeah, I get that. It's tiresome and heartbreaking to see people live their lives that way, but that's how people lead their lives. I don't comment in threads like that, I drift away from those people and look for the bar.
Mostly seems to go on in newbier threads. I, fairly or unfairly, peg the people as young and/or ignorant (I don't mean ignorant in a mean way, I mean it in a literal way- not *stupid* but *ignorant*). There are hundreds of threads in these very interesting forums, it's easy to step round/ignore topics or persons that irritate me, and not much need to fan any flames of aggression or confrontation.

Tease the intertwined threads of religion out of tarot? I don't think it can be done.
I love tarot, and I, well, I sort of hate religion, so it's a wierd balancing act for me. I *accomodate* the religious stuff the best I can.

Yes, the drivel that comes out of the babes and sucklings.

Moonbow

I don't understand why the mention of the word 'god' (the christian variety) should be called spouting off. Or that it is uncalled for in any thread. Or that mentioning the word god (any variety) is a recognition of fear..... quite the opposite in fact, at least for many people. For some of us Tarot and our own personal spirituality (the christian variety), is very important.

This is exactly the place to post questions about religion and Tarot, and particularly if someone is having difficulty with fears or even just questions or confusion.

I think what you are saying is that you don't want them posting about it, but that is why there is diversity here and many forums and sub-forums to either choose to read, or not.