How about folks leave their religion out of tarot

willowfox

afrosaxon said:
De-doctrination (is that a word? LOL) takes time.

T.

It is the 21st century already, how much more time is needed?

willowfox

Moonbow* said:
I think what you are saying is that you don't want them posting about it, but that is why there is diversity here and many forums and sub-forums to either choose to read, or not.

Basically, I don't need the fear of "god" brought into every conceivable conversation.

Sphinxmoth

willowfox said:
Yes, the drivel that comes out of the babes and sucklings.

You gotta give the babes and sucklings a break, willowfox. If that's all they are, that's what they are.
21st Century has nothing to do with it. There *always* will be babes in the woods, and always a religion somewhere that teaches fear of the dark.

*Your* challenge is how to put yourself in their place, and how to find compassion for that place, and for them.

Moonbow

I'm not aware that the fear of god is brought into every conversation, that is a gross overstatement. It's unfair and naive to think that other people should use Tarot the way you do and that if they mention god that they somehow are afraid of something. Many people are happy with their religion and spirituality even though they may use Tarot to help them get there. It could also be suggested some people fear the mention of god!

You make a point that you don't like religion brought into conversations about Tarot but you cannot control how other people see Tarot and will post about it.

Splungeman

There are some folks who intentionally interwine Tarot with their spiritual experience. Many theorize as to "why Tarot works". Some see the hand of God involved, or the hands of spirits or many gods. So to say that "never the twain shall meet" is not necessarily true. There are quite a few Christians on this forum who don't fly with the fundamentalists. There are quite a few Christian denominations or congregations that are tolerant of Tarot and other types of divination.

People come to this forum to learn Tarot. They should not be dismissed if they are expressing genuine fears about their religious beliefs conflicting with Tarot. They should be engaged, accepted, and above all, educated. If we just dismiss them and their fears, then we are in effect excluding them and indirectly contributing to their lack of knowledge.

GenoviaJ

What I mean by ALIGN is this:

Faith = Belief in something not evident or factal according to a normal system of facts. I can not see one using the cards with out having faith or a belief system. Even if that belief system is in the paranormal, mystical, or alien world, guess what it is still a "system" of beliefs concerning ones "spirituality"= the essence of humans existence beyond the physical support of the body. Everything else one does is in support of existence of life or the functioning of the human body....ie..eating, thinking, being healthy. Spirit (spiritual) for me deals with existence or aspects of the human capacity to exist beyond day to day survival. Tarot itself is a belief system or system of beliefs based on the essence of humanity or spirituality.

Sphinxmoth said:
I do *not* believe tarot (as put into practice) *necessarily* aligns with a belief system or spirituality. Certainly it can, and *certainly* it does, but it doesn't *have* to. It does not for me.

GenoviaJ

What we have allowed to happen as human being is this, we associate certain words, like faith, God, belief system, with the church and can not relate, define or understand words like God, Faith, Belief System outside the realms of religion.

Sulis

Willowfox, I think that you have to accept that tarot is a huge part of some people's spiritual path, just as their religion is. Just because it isn't part of your spirituality does not give you the right to belittle others who consider it a part of theirs.

This forum is a huge learning resource and no matter how experienced any of us are now, I think it's important to remember that we were all 'babes and sucklings' once and what may appear to be 'drivel' to you are very important issues to others.

As tarot readers I would've thought that tolerance and acceptance were very important qualities to have.

lunalafey

willowfox said:
I am talking about "religious fears" and how some people believe that their "god" is going to strike them down or a member of their family for using the tarot or they believe that the tarot is potentially evil and will attract "evil spirits".

Do not be frustraited with these kinds of people, it is not their fault that they grew up knowing only the religion, or the man-made distortion of such religion, that has conditioned so many of our brothers and sisters.

I hear completly what you are saying in regards to the people that feel this way. It is unfortunate that it is like this.
In my opinion it is not so much the religion, it is not so much the religious 'evil'; it is just plain fear, fear from what ever, that does not matter.
Fear is our worst enemy. Instead of focusing on the religious aspect, focus on the elimination of fear.

...and in my opinion, spirituality is the search for truth, be it with divination or meditation, again what and how does not matter, for each individual has thier own way of connection with the Spirit, or what ever name one chooses to call it.

Demon Goddess

willowfox said:
I find it very tiring that there are people on this forum who have to continually drag their religious fears into the realm of tarot, the two things should be kept separate. If you have a religious problem then go to a church/mosque/synagogue and not parade it all around this forum. Tarot requires that you think for yourself, so why don't some of you do exactly that. What has "god' got to do with tarot?

Tarot is tarot and religion is religion and never the twain should meet.

Not to uprail the convo, but simply to add a thought to the pot... And maybe do a little stirring. ;)

I am a Unitarian... we're the one's who start our prayers with "To Whom it May Concern"...

As you may or may not be aware, I have been on a spirit guide quest just recently and have come to know the "spirit guide" who influences my revelations deck. She/he claims that she is a "lesser G-d".

So... in my case, G-d seems to have a lot to do with Tarot... and I call it Melody.

:)