How About the Star

ravenest

My favourite major arcanum. How nice to bump into everyone chatting about it here.
I see The Star as a card representing good health. And also I see the star in me - as someone who walks about the earth with a childlike wonder and expectation of discovering what new and exciting thing might be around the next corner. :) :)

:) ... a great consciousness to cultivate!

She is also Venus rising from the water in her oyster shell (y'know the painting. I've also seen another version where she's sitting in the shell - can't find that again now, anyone know the one I mean and can direct me to info on it?). Sensuous - enjoyment of her body and of being embodied. So = enjoy your physicality.

Again! :) ... (I am rather partial to ' Venus on the half-shell' )

Ishtar, Astra, Venus, Nuit. Hail to the lady in the heavens!
She represents the connection/discourse with Deity/higher self etc. -
"...go out beneath the naked night and get religion there".

and again ! :) ..... (where is that quote from ? )

" But to love me is better than all things: if under the night stars in the desert thou presently burnest mine incense before me, invoking me with a pure heart, and the Serpent flame therein, thou shalt come a little to lie in my bosom. For one kiss wilt thou then be willing to give all; but whoso gives one particle of dust shall lose all in that hour. Ye shall gather goods and store of women and spices; ye shall wear rich jewels; ye shall exceed the nations of the earth in splendour & pride; but always in the love of me, and so shall ye come to my joy. I charge you earnestly to come before me in a single robe, and covered with a rich headdress. I love you! I yearn to you! Pale or purple, veiled or voluptuous, I who am all pleasure and purple, and drunkenness of the innermost sense, desire you. Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me! "

The guiding star - the guiding principle, the 'messenger from God' - whether it be a human being, a pet, a spirit guide - the template or ideal picture from which to work.
As Nuit holds back chaos from the earth (without her all would be senseless) - her protection and impact are profound and yet intangible.

Who are you ! ? :laugh:

Thankyou for the quotes and poetry ravenest. Beautiful.
I agree - The Star speaks of studying 'the essence' (the 'Tama') of who we are - 'know thyself' - discover your True Will.

:) ... I like this card EVEN MORE now !

For some reason I am thinking of 'shining', the idea of 'radiation' , as in Ki or Chi projection ; that is ... not just through a 'technique' one is executing with that part of the body, but the whole body; the fingers, the pores of the skin, and particularly the eyes (but that just might be because I am about to go to kobudo training ... I will take the star energy with me :) )

Huh - cool. The Underworld. So she's those two guys that helped Innana get out again when she descended to her sister's domain in Hell, all the while dis-assembling and re-examining herself - then being 'hung on a hook' ("Come now sister, come... wrap yourself in shadow, witness what you are..." I'm remembering the song 'Ereshkigal' by Wendy Rule).

:) ... hung on a hook > The Star > Tzaddi > fish hook .

There is something wonderful about the name Ereshkigal

And by Ruby Jewel: "Will there be healing? Will there be a hero to lead us through the Dark Night? Will the North Star guide the lost generations home? The Star says there is Hope."

I always find this interesting as 'down' here we have no pole star ... our 'pole', is of course the 'opposite' just a dark void place (relatively), direction comes from nearby star calculations. A bit like we have a 'polar polarity' going ( :laugh: ... dhur ravenest! ) ; Hadit - star - north , Nuit - space - south.

http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au...013/03/equal-area_cylindrical_perspective.gif

Zephyros

Great points all around. For me the Star represents many things, among them Silence, the essence of Self that is beyond anything that moves. It is both external and encircling as well as internal and penetrating. The truth beyond truth. Both Everything and Nothing.

Tanga

"How about The Star..."

...and again ! :) ..... (where is that quote from ? )

Here is the full qoute. I bumped into it one day and found that it expressed my
pagan practice perfectly (i.e. why am I so fascinated with doing things at night under the light of the full moon? :) ):

"And where shall we get religion?
Beneath the open sky.
The sphere of crystal silence is surcharged with Deity.
The midnight earth sends incense up, sweet with the breath of prayer.
Go out beneath the naked night and get religion there!" - Sam Walter Foss.

" But to love me is better than all things: if under the night stars in the desert thou presently burnest mine incense before me, invoking me with a pure heart, and the Serpent flame therein, thou shalt come a little to lie in my bosom. For one kiss wilt thou then be willing to give all; but whoso gives one particle of dust shall lose all in that hour. Ye shall gather goods and store of women and spices; ye shall wear rich jewels; ye shall exceed the nations of the earth in splendour & pride; but always in the love of me, and so shall ye come to my joy. I charge you earnestly to come before me in a single robe, and covered with a rich headdress. I love you! I yearn to you! Pale or purple, veiled or voluptuous, I who am all pleasure and purple, and drunkenness of the innermost sense, desire you. Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me! "

Ah yes - I recognise the Goddesses charge. :) Where does this quote come from ravenest??
Here is a brief re-working of it in the form of 'The Charge of The Goddess' by Doreen Valiente (the "mother of modern witchcraft' - witchcraft in the sense of modern British Wicca):

"...then shall you assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of Me, Who am Queen of all Witcheries...
For mine is the ecstasy of the spirit, and Mine also is joy on Earth; My law is love unto all beings.
Here you the words of the Star Goddess... the dust of Who's feet are the hosts of heaven, and Whose body encircles the universe."

My favourite bit:
"I am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon amoungst the stars. ...the mystery of the waters and the desire in the heart of Man."
"And know, that if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee, thou wilt never find it without thee - for behold, I have been with you from the beginning, and I am that which is attained at the end of desire".
(rather a lot of thees and thous etc. stuffed in here for an "aged" feel - but you get the gist of it).

Who are you ! ? :laugh:

Who am I? ( :) the perfect Koan).
I am Tanga - my full names translating as: "The oracle that sees clearly, with appropriate womanly demeanor, descended from the Man with feathers-on-his-head (a great East African warrior ancestor apparently) and married to the Man descended-from-the-otter's-dell (some mysterious boggy place in the middle of Devon, UK).
Lol.

:) ... I like this card EVEN MORE now !

For some reason I am thinking of 'shining', the idea of 'radiation' , as in Ki or Chi projection ; that is ... not just through a 'technique' one is executing with that part of the body, but the whole body; the fingers, the pores of the skin, and particularly the eyes (but that just might be because I am about to go to kobudo training ... I will take the star energy with me :) )

Me too - on both counts.
Can I take The Star energy into my Wing Tsun class... :)
Aha! I see the setting for an exciting new persona in this arena coming on... thankyou ravenest!
A Star in the sky after all - is unattainable - like the idea of the 'The Ghost Warrior' (which is my Wing Tsun master's parallel imagery), they're not there when you try to get 'em - and oooh how they do shine with that calm (non-telegraphic) and alert demeanor. A constant that seems that it will go on indefinitely.

:) ... hung on a hook > The Star > Tzaddi > fish hook .
There is something wonderful about the name Ereshkigal

Yeah - I forgot about that bit. Ofcourse the fish hook!
I've always loved that name Ereshkigal.

I always find this interesting as 'down' here we have no pole star ... our 'pole', is of course the 'opposite' just a dark void place (relatively), direction comes from nearby star calculations. A bit like we have a 'polar polarity' going ( :laugh: ... dhur ravenest! ) ; Hadit - star - north , Nuit - space - south.

No pole star - perfect polarity. :)
And you have mewling wombats and kicking kangaroos 'down' there (that kick right through "the centre line" - :) aiming for "the heart of the centre line" being a Wing Tsun principle plus me remembering a fab youtube video of a pair of kicking kangaroos).
:)

And from closrapexa's quote: "For me the Star represents many things, among them Silence, the essence of Self... Both Everything and Nothing."

Yes! - bring on the silence of the void!
One of my Stars (Gendron Tarot deck) is depicted as a cowled woman sitting in serene crossed legged meditation, floating in the middle of the sky - stars above, earth below, and her heart chakra glowing.
Finding "the essence of Self" - Advaita - Sanskrit for everything and nothing - at one with all.
The caption for this card here reads: "Holy One, I am filled with your Grace."
Yummy.

ravenest

Here is the full qoute. I bumped into it one day and found that it expressed my
pagan practice perfectly (i.e. why am I so fascinated with doing things at night under the light of the full moon? :) ):

"And where shall we get religion?
Beneath the open sky.
The sphere of crystal silence is surcharged with Deity.
The midnight earth sends incense up, sweet with the breath of prayer.
Go out beneath the naked night and get religion there!" - Sam Walter Foss.

Thankyou ... I will have to look him up, a great little piece.

Ah yes - I recognise the Goddesses charge. :) Where does this quote come from ravenest??

http://hermetic.com/legis/ccxx/chapter-i.html - text.

Here is a brief re-working of it in the form of 'The Charge of The Goddess' by Doreen Valiente (the "mother of modern witchcraft' - witchcraft in the sense of modern British Wicca):

"...then shall you assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of Me, Who am Queen of all Witcheries...

" Lord of Life and Joy, that art the might of man, that art the essence of every true god that is upon the surface of the Earth, continuing knowledge from generation unto generation, thou adored of us upon heaths and in woods, on mountains and in caves, openly in the marketplaces and secretly in the chambers of our houses..."

For mine is the ecstasy of the spirit, and Mine also is joy on Earth; My law is love unto all beings.

" Vehicle of the joy of Man upon earth, solace of labour, inspiration of endeavour, thus be thou ecstasy of the Spirit! - Love is the Law, love under Will. "

Here you the words of the Star Goddess... the dust of Who's feet are the hosts of heaven, and Whose body encircles the universe."

http://www.angelpaths.com/images/thaeon.JPG - visual.

My favourite bit:
"I am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon amoungst the stars. ...the mystery of the waters and the desire in the heart of Man."
"And know, that if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee, thou wilt never find it without thee - for behold, I have been with you from the beginning, and I am that which is attained at the end of desire".

"O secret of secrets that art hidden in the being of all that lives, not Thee do we adore, for that which adoreth is also Thou. Thou art That, and That am I. "

( http://hermetic.com/sabazius/gnostic_mass.htm )

(rather a lot of thees and thous etc. stuffed in here for an "aged" feel - but you get the gist of it).

Deff! Here is a ref on origins http://www.ceisiwrserith.com/wicca/charge.htm

Who am I? ( :) the perfect Koan).
I am Tanga - my full names translating as: "The oracle that sees clearly, with appropriate womanly demeanor, descended from the Man with feathers-on-his-head (a great East African warrior ancestor apparently)

Cool :) ... my name (the real one) means a tree that is on fire (but not burning), a local indigenous species;

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7004/6452288357_64ca4aa8b8_m.jpg

and married to the Man descended-from-the-otter's-dell (some mysterious boggy place in the middle of Devon, UK).
Lol.

Me too - on both counts.

Can I take The Star energy into my Wing Tsun class... :)
Aha! I see the setting for an exciting new persona in this arena coming on... thankyou ravenest!

http://www.hibakushastories.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bow2.jpg

A Star in the sky after all - is unattainable - like the idea of the 'The Ghost Warrior' (which is my Wing Tsun master's parallel imagery), they're not there when you try to get 'em - and oooh how they do shine with that calm (non-telegraphic) and alert demeanor. A constant that seems that it will go on indefinitely.

Yeah - I forgot about that bit. Ofcourse the fish hook!
I've always loved that name Ereshkigal.

No pole star - perfect polarity. :)
And you have mewling wombats and kicking kangaroos 'down' there (that kick right through "the centre line" - :) aiming for "the heart of the centre line" being a Wing Tsun principle plus me remembering a fab youtube video of a pair of kicking kangaroos).

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/aviv_b/19694434/157317/original.jpg

And from closrapexa's quote: "For me the Star represents many things, among them Silence, the essence of Self... Both Everything and Nothing."

Yes! - bring on the silence of the void!
One of my Stars (Gendron Tarot deck) is depicted as a cowled woman sitting in serene crossed legged meditation, floating in the middle of the sky - stars above, earth below, and her heart chakra glowing.
Finding "the essence of Self" - Advaita - Sanskrit for everything and nothing - at one with all.
The caption for this card here reads: "Holy One, I am filled with your Grace."
Yummy.

I found an excellent 'Star Goddess' meditation to be Liber NV ... especially the lying beneath the stars and 'falling upwards' ... it takes a bit of practice ... but then ...

WOW ! ( http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib11.html )

Tanga

"How about The Star..."

Perfect. That's just what I need. Someone to point out sections of this that I can read to get a flavour of it. :) (too lazy here to be doing all the ploughing through of it all.)

" Lord of Life and Joy, that art the might of man, that art the essence of every true god that is upon the surface of the Earth, continuing knowledge from generation unto generation, thou adored of us upon heaths and in woods, on mountains and in caves, openly in the marketplaces and secretly in the chambers of our houses..."

"I am all the faces of The God, all and nothing in the arms of my love...
I am the horns of power on the brows of the wise. Through veils and shadows I hunt and guard:Lord of the Wild Hunt and Keeper of the Silent Peace" - David Rankine (Charge of the God).

And there she is - The Aeon. Frieda's work is beautiful.

"O secret of secrets that art hidden in the being of all that lives, not Thee do we adore, for that which adoreth is also Thou. Thou art That, and That am I. "

Tattwam Asi (Sanskrit) = "I am That". I am that which I seek.
=I become in practice, everything that I am in potential. The joy of the Universe flows through me and Supreme compassion empowers and fulfils me. (From a book of meditations - cannot remember which one now).

Oh even more perfect. Thanks for this!

Cool :) ... my name (the real one) means a tree that is on fire (but not burning), a local indigenous species;
http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7004/6452288357_64ca4aa8b8_m.jpg

... "The flame trees of Thika" (a series or movie/book that I saw as a child once I think. Don't remember what it was about - but I remember the picture of trees like that. I guess we must have a similar species in Kenya somewhere... in Thika. Never been there.).

LOL! right back at ya.

How cute!

I found an excellent 'Star Goddess' meditation to be Liber NV ... especially the lying beneath the stars and 'falling upwards' ... it takes a bit of practice ... but then ...
WOW ! ( http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib11.html )

Oh good heavens! Lowly hedgewitch here - such complicated ceremony goes waaay over my head. :)

ravenest

:laugh: no ... your head goes up into it (nice pun though)

here is the essence:

" The Actual Rite.

Retire to desert with crown and other insignia and implements.
Burn perfume.
Chant incantation.
Drink unto Nuit the Elixir.
Lying supine, with eyes fixed on the stars, practice the sensation of falling into nothingness.
Being actually within the bosom of Nuit, let Hadit surrender Himself. "

'Other implements' includes a talisman ... the Star card may be ideal for this.

Tanga

"How about The Star..."

:laugh: no ... your head goes up into it (nice pun though)
here is the essence:

Oh - cool!

" The Actual Rite.

Retire to desert with crown and other insignia and implements.
Burn perfume.
Chant incantation.
Drink unto Nuit the Elixir.
Lying supine, with eyes fixed on the stars, practice the sensation of falling into nothingness.
Being actually within the bosom of Nuit, let Hadit surrender Himself. "

'Other implements' includes a talisman ... the Star car may be ideal for this.

Does it have to be the desert? (not a fan. :) - I suffer from polymorphic light syndrome).
"Fall into nothingness" - OK... "let Hadit surrender Himself" - er...Steady on mate!

What is a Star car?

Tiggy-cat

Thanks for your insight Tiggy Cat. Very interesting indeed!

It was so nice that you took the time to acknowledge my contribution here even if the poster who asked this question has not bothered to.

Well it's not the first thing I think about, but since I think it's important to look for the potential downsides to the "rosy" cards, just as it's important to remember the potential contextual benefits of fairly negative cards (ie 3 of Swords), I realized that a step too far into honesty could mean loose lips sinking ships.

Ruby Jewel

My favourite major arcanum. How nice to bump into everyone chatting about it here.
I see The Star as a card representing good health. And also I see the star in me - as someone who walks about the earth with a childlike wonder and expectation of discovering what new and exciting thing might be around the next corner. :) :)

She is also Venus rising from the water in her oyster shell (y'know the painting. I've also seen another version where she's sitting in the shell - can't find that again now, anyone know the one I mean and can direct me to info on it?). Sensuous - enjoyment of her body and of being embodied. So = enjoy your physicality.

Ishtar, Astra, Venus, Nuit. Hail to the lady in the heavens!
She represents the connection/discourse with Deity/higher self etc. -
"...go out beneath the naked night and get religion there".

The guiding star - the guiding principle, the 'messenger from God' - whether it be a human being, a pet, a spirit guide - the template or ideal picture from which to work.
As Nuit holds back chaos from the earth (without her all would be senseless) - her protection and impact are profound and yet intangible.

Thankyou for the quotes and poetry ravenest. Beautiful.
I agree - The Star speaks of studying 'the essence' (the 'Tama') of who we are - 'know thyself' - discover your True Will.

Yes - the future is bright with possibilities - so take note that with time one has the possibility of discovering them all (we hope!).

Huh - cool. The Underworld. So she's those two guys that helped Innana get out again when she descended to her sister's domain in Hell, all the while dis-assembling and re-examining herself - then being 'hung on a hook' ("Come now sister, come... wrap yourself in shadow, witness what you are..." I'm remembering the song 'Ereshkigal' by Wendy Rule).

"Someone far away who is thinking about me" - hadn't seen that - thankyou.

And by Ruby Jewel: "Will there be healing? Will there be a hero to lead us through the Dark Night? Will the North Star guide the lost generations home? The Star says there is Hope."

Amen to that! So may it be.

Welcome to the thread! And thanks for all the great comments.

Ruby Jewel

But at that point we're back at the Hanged Man, no? Innana had many faces, the Star being one of them. The other was that hanged god who is suspended/sacrificed in "death" for a certain number of days, and then restored to the world, transformed, enlightened and with a great new store of knowledge to pass on. A story which was taken up by the Vikings with Odin and, well, others... ;)

I can see I'm going to have to dig into my mythology books to keep up with you guys. Very inspiring, too.