How long do you use the same tarot deck?

ladyprow

Me too, I use whatever deck strikes my fancy for the reading.

Robin Wood is always the fall back, though, we understand each other so well. :) My intuitive reading skills grew by leaps and bounds once I got that deck.

~lp

Sonic

My first deck was regular playing cards..that lasted forever and a decade. My second true deck was the goddess tarot and that was used for about 3 years. I then moved to the Sacred Circle, and I have used this exclusively for about 3 years now. I JUST ordered a new deck. Now, I love the imagery of the new deck, but I have no idea how It will respond to me and I it.

I have given away every other deck I've ever owned except for the current one I use. I have to follow the Tao Te Ching! Give it back to the universe and make room for something new to come to your life. So wish me luck with the new deck! It has taken me years of building a relationship and learning how to read with this particular deck. If I am lucky, I will feel the flow of the new one.

faunabay

OK Sonic, now you have us curious. What's your new deck?

Sonic

The bohemian Gothic Silver set? Something like that. I am picking it up at the post office tomorrow. So excited!

faunabay

Sonic said:
The bohemian Gothic Silver set? Something like that. I am picking it up at the post office tomorrow. So excited!
OH my goodness! Have you got a treat in store for you!!! And BOY is this one going to be different from your other decks!!!!! (giggle)
I have it and it's gorgeous - very different - and gorgeous!!! :D

If you did get the Silver version, they are sold out now!!! And there are still alot of people who want one. So if you decide you don't get on there will be no small number of takers willing to take it off your hands!!!! :party:

thorhammer

I use the newest one pretty hard-core for the first week or two of owning it. At the end of that time, I usually have a sense of its "place" or perhaps a better word would be "niche", so it joins the rest of the collection, secure in the knowledge that it won't be forgotten :D. That is, the good ones. Others . . . well, they get forgotten. For now.

Some, like the Inner Child cards, don't even get a tour of duty. But others, like the MerryDay, are the mainstay. Then there are ones that I *save* for special readings, like the Babylonian, which gets used only on deep-seated issues of personal growth. I'd even be inclined to refuse a request with that deck, because it's very unapproachable unless I have a *serious* question for it. Those readings take days, when I'm usually a lightning reader, throw the cards, read it, get it done. I'm not usually the type to have a spread lying around for days - except with that deck.

So, back on topic, mine overlap, lots. But each one usually gets a week, then the cream rises to the top :D

\m/ Kat

HearthCricket

For me it depends a lot on how well I click with a deck, if I am studying it or if it is one I am more familiar with, if I am reading for just myself or for others or both, so yes, intent has a great deal to do with it. There are some decks I enjoy using so much that I will use them for an extended period of time, but others might just be a brief flirtation or one I will come back to at a later date. Some just feel a bit stale, after a while. I have always promised myself not to set a specific schedule with my decks but allow the spirit to move me when I feel it is time to change and at the same time be open to mixing it up, a bit, for a challenge!

faunabay

thorhammer said:
I use the newest one pretty hard-core for the first week or two of owning it. At the end of that time, I usually have a sense of its "place" or perhaps a better word would be "niche", so it joins the rest of the collection, secure in the knowledge that it won't be forgotten :D. That is, the good ones. Others . . . well, they get forgotten. For now.
You know that's a very good way of explaining how I go about it too! I hadn't even thought about it that way. But you're right thorhammer. I use new ones quite a bit for about a week or two until I get a sense of where they fit in with me and my tarot world.

The ones that fit extremely well get used alot. Others like your Babylonian only get used for certain issues, while others still just get grabbed up every once in a while.

Emily

I used to be such a deck hopper - I'd use a deck for a few days then move onto the next one but I felt like I wasn't doing myself any favours by jumping from deck to deck without sticking to one long enough to really get into it.

The first deck I really stuck to was the Morgan Greer, for quite a few years, but I moved on eventually, the second was the Tarot of the Old Path - I used that deck for the 'One deck wonder study' a couple of years ago and I think I lasted around 4/5 months before wanting to move on.

The deck I'm using now is the Liber T and I've been with this deck since the beginning of last September. I've read with a couple of other decks in this time but the Liber T is my main reading and study deck. I feel comfortable and totally settled with this deck, I moved all my other decks into storage and to be honest, I don't miss them. The Liber T is a deep and very intuitive deck, it opens all sorts of new roads to discover and is well worth an indepth study and its a lot of fun to work with. :)

uwe

I used to be a deck hopper too. Then, about five years ago i realised that i used the same four decks all the time. They are the Original RWS, the Cosmic, the Hanson Roberts and an old Grimaud (majors only). The RWS and the Cosmic have recently been trimmed. I think by now i probably have over 100+ decks, a collection which is still growing, but i very rarely change those four decks. They have become very much part of me.