How long, does the Hanged man... hang?

Grigori

The Hanged Man may be attributed to Neptune, and it takes Neptune a year to move 2 or 3 degrees. So even with a conservative orb you might be in the midst of it for a few years. And feeling it coming, and then feeling it going, even longer than that.

Just lay back and be glad its not Pluto I reckon' :D

no_moon

If he's upright, I think perhaps he hangs until he is able to see from all perspectives and reaches a solution that he can accept. As others said, probably that would involve a sacrifice of some kind (most likely of his own ego?).

If he's reversed... well let me use this example. There is a certain person whom I really dislike. When I read on this issue, my feelings towards her came up as the hanged man reversed. Instantly, I knew that it was me refusing to suspend my own viewpoint in order to see from her perspective and understand her outlandish, disgraceful, disrespectful behavior. I felt it fit the issue perfectly.

raeanne

MercyMe said:
It's not really his choice to hang there. Forces outside of his control hung him up there, so it's not always his choice then to unbind himself.
This is only one meaning of the Hanged Man card. Another meaning is about a physical ordeal that gains spiritual enlightenment. This is usually entered into voluntarily. Almost every culture has the concept of enduring a physical ordeal to reach a higher spirituality. The Bible is full of “fast and pray” references. Christ went 40 days wandering in the wilderness without food or water. Moses fasted for long periods of time. Other religions talk of flogging, sleeping on a bed of nails, walking on hot coals, etc. The Native Americans had a ceremony where bear claws were embedded into a man’s chest muscle and then he was hung from the claws for several days. The person doing this would often pass out due to the pain and while unconscious they would have a spiritual experience. There are other examples of enduring a physical ordeal to gain a higher spirituality. They were most always voluntary.

Bronwyn1

MercyMe said:
For quite some time, usually. It's not really his choice to hang there. Forces outside of his control hung him up there, so it's not always his choice then to unbind himself. The key to the card is how he handles being hung. He can struggle and flip flop around, making the pain and wait a lot worse, or he can release himself to his predicament and thereby find something priceless in the time spent hanging around. Some say he'll hang there until he gets a clue, a revelation, or something. I don't know...maybe. Or maybe some compassionate soul will cut him down. Or maybe by relaxing and going with the flow, the rope acts like a Chinese finger trap that releases just by his letting go. I do know it does take a good while before he comes down, though, so when I see this card I always say don't expect things to change for a while. Your best bet is to just let it go, let whatever happen, you can't change or control it, your best attitude right now is that of acceptance and patience.

Ginny

I have to agree with Ginny. Don't expect things to change for a while. Be patient!

Bronwyn

SunChariot

Well the Hanged Man card is for me about acceptance of the situation, accepting what you cannot change and the inner peace that comes from that acceptance. So hopefully that feeling of inner peace and acceptance lasts forever, unless or until the situation changes on its own. At that time there is not more need to accept it any longer as it has changed. I hope I explained that well.

Babs

dandelion

MercyMe said:
The key to the card is how he handles being hung.

I agree with Ginny on this one... in this sense, the time itself becomes rather irrelevant, and the duration can feel like moments or ages depending on how the hanged one relates to the situation.

All Is One

It doesn't look comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. But sacrifice rarely comes easily.

Bernice

Experiencing the Hanged Man: I'm inclined to agree with tarotlyn (post #10). It's a personal thing. You 'hang' until something inside you calls a halt - it just happens with a very quiet & calm finality.

Bee

Sophie

raeanne said:
This is only one meaning of the Hanged Man card. Another meaning is about a physical ordeal that gains spiritual enlightenment. This is usually entered into voluntarily. Almost every culture has the concept of enduring a physical ordeal to reach a higher spirituality. The Bible is full of “fast and pray” references. Christ went 40 days wandering in the wilderness without food or water. Moses fasted for long periods of time. Other religions talk of flogging, sleeping on a bed of nails, walking on hot coals, etc. The Native Americans had a ceremony where bear claws were embedded into a man’s chest muscle and then he was hung from the claws for several days. The person doing this would often pass out due to the pain and while unconscious they would have a spiritual experience. There are other examples of enduring a physical ordeal to gain a higher spirituality. They were most always voluntary.
Whether voluntary or imposed, it's rarely a quick process. And hanging by nails for several days lasts an eternity, I imagine. Three days might feel like years when you are not eating, drinking and are enduring physical pain and discomfort. It's a form of accelerator of spiritual breakthroughs.

poivre

I'm giving in and posting,
been following this thread for a while! :D

I feel the Hanged Man decides in his "own" time.

Had to find my book, I have...
12 days.

I do not use Major cards for timing, but found this somewhere,
quiet a while back.

Thanks for the thread!
ros
:)