Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Knight of Wands

Wow Llynn - I've just realised we're the only two using Druidcraft, and we're both from Kent!

I'm loving the Druidcraft! It's great... :)

Prism

I really appreciate everybody's posts too. I've been drawing two cards a day and journaling them. That's been easy to stick with, and since I'm still very much a beginner, I've been looking at books for alternate meanings, symbols, etc., since I'm not too knowledgeable about that aspect of things. Sometimes a plot line involving the two cards jumps out at me, which is great. I really want to spend more time making up stories about my two cards of the day since I think it will help break open the meanings for me. I'm also starting to do some readings for other with the cards, which is a big step for me. I think that's going to really help build up my confidence (unless, of course, it doesn't!). Keep up the good work, everyone!

Disa

The card a day thing isn't working for me. It never really does. When they cards just sit there staring at me they seem to say- "yes, I'm a piece of art and what of it?"

I think this deck has made me realize that, putting the cards in the context of a reading is really more helpful for me.

Yesterday, though I was so happy to get to read face to face, the first few spreads I didn't use the book at all. I was pleased with the info I was getting and I even got one psychic flash.

Then, I began to tire out, the cards didn't match what the positions in the spreads were- I began to get very hungry, got a headache, and looked to the book for clarification, even then, a few of the cards didn't fit the positions in the spread. I was reading for my mom and she looked in the book, too. She offered that maybe, she, too wasn't focusing her own energy and in fact in one of the questions she asked, she didn't really ask of the person she wanted to know about, but asked of a different person, instead?!?! Maybe I was just tired, we had read for hours. Maybe she really wasn't focusing any more towards the end? All and all, it was a good experience for me.

I'm going to now sit with my cards and journal the next spread in the Tarot of the Crone companion book. That's what seems to work for me. My goal really is to get through each of those spreads during this IDS.

Good luck everyone, don't give up!

Disa

Xarokys

Greetings fellow IDSers!

I'm trying to journal a card a day but am off to a slow start, what with Easter and some problems with my teenage daughter. Hopefully after Wednesday the problems will be well on their way to being resolved and I can give the Mythic the attention it deserves.

I found an interesting journalling exercise here and I'm planning on trying this with my daily card.

Owl Song

I'm doing well with my IDS with the Fairytale. One of the challenges of the deck is that when you read for other people, you need to explain the fairy tale upon which the card is based, or at least explain certain aspects of the tale. This is what makes the deck so rich and detailed but it's also the challenge of the deck--distilling the tale into a clear focus within the context of the reading.

I haven't had as much time to journal as I'd wish, but I have been doing daily draws and have stayed focused on the Fairytale.

blackroseivy

Don't feel too bad, those of you also off to a slow start - I have bronchitis & have yet to write a WORD beyond the title of the deck & 1st card!! :p

Well, I got them in order yesterday; today I write. As I noted about this Fool: basically the old VS concept & not a difficult one; I anticipate a short entry.

The Magician, on the other hand - the great Leo himself!! - may take rather more examination; though as an old hand at Leo, I'm at least very familiar with both the imagery & the critical interpretations of his work.

Maxwell

Prism said:
I really appreciate everybody's posts too. I've been drawing two cards a day and journaling them. That's been easy to stick with, and since I'm still very much a beginner, I've been looking at books for alternate meanings, symbols, etc., since I'm not too knowledgeable about that aspect of things. Sometimes a plot line involving the two cards jumps out at me, which is great. I really want to spend more time making up stories about my two cards of the day since I think it will help break open the meanings for me. I'm also starting to do some readings for other with the cards, which is a big step for me. I think that's going to really help build up my confidence (unless, of course, it doesn't!). Keep up the good work, everyone!

I think working w/ two or three cards is really hard for a beginner! (My experience -- your mileage may vary!) Not much of a chance for the symbols to blend and their energies to be supported or down played by surrounding cards. Have you considered looking down at the spreads sections for some ideas on 5 or 7 card spreads? There's a lot of really top notch spreads down there.

One of the most helpful books I have, now this will sound completely dorky, is the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot Spreads." Some good upfront info plus a lot of spreads, but the thing I like most about it is the "if you see lots of ____ then consider ____." This has been helping me to relate cards to each other better and see their connections more clearly.

Gazel

Silverlotus said:
Everything is going slow for me. but that is to be expected. Looking after a two month old takes a lot of time.

I've decided to draw a card when I have a chance, and work on it until I am through. I am doing exercises from 21 Ways....

I too do feel it is going a bit slowly. But nobody said this process should be easy or fast. Daily draws are absolutely not for me - I must realize.

But I have decided to phrase - for now - 15 questions about my life and do readings about them. Journal and work with one card in each of them, that seems to be the central one. I'll guess I choose the majors. So now its the Devil, I'm - very slowly - working with. Already made one entrance in my diary - but I am definitely not through with him yet - or he with me.

And I also think that the way to go about it is to do exercises from Tarot for Yourself or 21 Ways ... also thought abot the Jette book: Tarot Shadow works - since The Devil is about Shadows.

So tonight I'll pick a few exercises out to work with.

Which ones have you done/chosen to do, Silverlotus? Just asking for inspiration ...

Gazel.

Llynn

Xarokys
thank you very much for that site - I shall definitely use this technique for my daily draw.
~~Llynn

Prism

Maxwell said:
I think working w/ two or three cards is really hard for a beginner! (My experience -- your mileage may vary!) Not much of a chance for the symbols to blend and their energies to be supported or down played by surrounding cards. Have you considered looking down at the spreads sections for some ideas on 5 or 7 card spreads? There's a lot of really top notch spreads down there.
Thanks for your encouragement and advice, Maxwell. I feel like on a daily basis I just can't handle more than two cards. I even found three to be too much! I do appreciate what you're saying, though. I'm doing a couple of reading circles so that I'll be forced to do some bigger spreads and try to expand my thinking somewhat.
Maxwell said:
One of the most helpful books I have, now this will sound completely dorky, is the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot Spreads."
And thanks for the book suggestion. I don't have that one, and now I'll take a look at it.