Personal Tips On Choosing A New Deck

thorhammer

Debra said:
Who? Who?

That would be a great topic for a thread, Le Fanu! "AT members who influence my deck preference" LOL
Indeed it would be a good thread, tho it does bear on my response to this one. You have noted to me before, Debra, that we share taste in decks, and this is so, to a point. So if you mention one in a favourable tone that I don't know, I'll definitely give it the time of day.

Other than that, I love esoteric decks :D I'm a sucker for punishment.

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

thorhammer said:
Indeed it would be a good thread, tho it does bear on my response to this one. You have noted to me before, Debra, that we share taste in decks, and this is so, to a point. So if you mention one in a favourable tone that I don't know, I'll definitely give it the time of day\m/ Kat

Funny...while we´re scratching each other´s backs :), I have to say that both you and Debra are members whose tastes I pay attention to and identify with. Sravana too. Plus others... :)

Funny indeed would be those members whose gushings and tastes you give a wide berth to. Blimey, she/he thinks it´s gorgeous; it must be hideous. Lol...

Inana

Hi! Haven't read all the previous answers, so sorry if I'm repeating or missing something...

Since symbols are important for you and you are used to "not pictured" minors, I would suggest another calssic deck: the Toth.

thorhammer

Le Fanu said:
Funny...while we´re scratching each other´s backs :), I have to say that both you and Debra are members whose tastes I pay attention to and identify with. Sravana too. Plus others... :)
Why, thankyou, sir!
Le Fanu said:
Funny indeed would be those members whose gushings and tastes you give a wide berth to. Blimey, she/he thinks it´s gorgeous; it must be hideous. Lol...
Err . . . well, there are those whose gushings I ignore for the reason that s/he gushes about anything . . . but I won't name names :D })

On a more catholic note, I do look for decks whose artwork is consistent across the board. For instance, I have considered pulling out all the stops for either a Gill or DreamPower for the incredible Majors, but both of them have the most horrid minors . . . now, that wouldn't be a problem but for the fact that both are OOP and very valuable :confused: which means that I can't just chuck out the Minors and use the Majors. So . . . forget it. They're off the list.

Le Fanu

Is the Gill rare? They have one (and Made in Belgium to boot) in my local shop and Ive often thought of buying it but - as you say - nasty minors...

thorhammer

It goes for a lot on eBay . . . that is usually a good measure. Better than Amazon, anyway :D

\m/ Kat

ETA: Mind you, I think there are two "Gill" Tarots . . . check that it's the old one first ;)

souljourney

thorhammer said:
It goes for a lot on eBay . . . that is usually a good measure. Better than Amazon, anyway :D

\m/ Kat

ETA: Mind you, I think there are two "Gill" Tarots . . . check that it's the old one first ;)

Ok... what's the difference in the old and the new? I know where one is... appears to be a deck/book set.

HOLMES

well

here is what I do when I go to pick up a deck.
It is of course easier for me to do for I spent years here click on the new section of the aeclectic tarot so every time a new deck is previewed I almost always see it first unless i am preoccupied that month.

I go by what pleases my eye and so decks like the witches tarot, the tarot of the elves, the bohemian gothic tarot, the buckland gypsy tarot are my style.

If a deck doesn't connect with my eye and imagination then how can I read well with it when I go to read for others for I should be able to flow from it.

one thing that affects me is that if the minors are pips and not illustrated in any matter then my minor arcana reading ability is hindred.
it isnt' so bad with the toth for example for the deck is illustrated in its own way and not just 3 pentacles sitting there doing nothing.

so what I would do is go through every deck in the aeclectic database and click on the picture,, if it doesnt' appeal to it,, dont' get it.
and you will find that your deck wish list will grow ehe.
oh you will find that after years of looking at a deck,, that all of the suddent you dont' want it on your wish list,
that happened to me a few times, and i added a new deck to my wish list like the gothic tarot by vargo.
but for the most part decks that were on my wish list when they were first previewed here,, have remained so.

Tansey Ella

I do pay attention to what other AT's say, but only so far. I try to find a site that shows all the cards. I too look at the Moon card, and Death card. The closer I get to the jumping off point the better the bunnies on the death card look. :) I also really pay attention to the pips. If the pips are not fully illustrated I may buy the deck b/c of the pretty art etc but I won't use it. I limit how many decks I buy that are just for pretty pictures.
I bought the Vertigo just for the Justice card. Many times that is what seals the deal- one card from the deck that really resonates with me. I'm thinking of taking all my favorite cards from many decks and making one deck I truly love.
One deck that I am hoping and praying the author gets published is this one:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rainwalker/
There are so many good decks out there that have not been published. The images and art in this deck speak to our world. When I saw her Hanged Man I was just stunned and said yes, that is the Hanged Man. That is what makes you want a deck.

JONIKA

Minor arcana must be expressive. If they look silly or static, or if colors hurt my eyes, I don't go for the deck.