photo.FurtuneTellingCup

Briar Rose

My cousin found this cup at my Aunt's tag sale (well, it didn't make the actual tag sale). I am so happy she gave it to me.

Is this cup used for reading tea leaves?

On the side it reads:

Perchance this cup will show it thee. Would'st thy fortune like to see?

Attachments

• Fortune telling cup1..jpg
    Fortune telling cup1..jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Fortune telling cup.2.jpg
    Fortune telling cup.2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Fortune telling cup.3.jpg
    Fortune telling cup.3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 149

celticnoodle

oh yes, it is a fortune cup! tea leaf reading. now you will need to find some tea leaves to use for it, and maybe a tea leaf reading book (barnes & noble have them), to help you with the symbols.

this is one of the prettiest tea leaf reading cups I've seen, heavensvault! what a lucky find! there are a few things you need to know about reading the tea leaves. I believe you are suppose to use a tea like 'earl grey' as the fruity teas dont' allow for a good read. the books you can buy are not very expensive, generally under $10.00 i think. i hope you enjoy this!

Disa

Cool!!! I thought all cups could be used to read tea leaves (and maybe they can) but I never knew there were cups made for it. It's beautiful, I'm so glad you got to keep it and it didn't make it to the sale. What a treasure!

Disa
(going on a search for tea leaf cups just to see what I can see)

celticnoodle

not all cups are good for reading tea leaves. you can find some 'tea leaf' reading cups in tea stores and even at Barnes & Noble, (I received one from there as a gift!). but, there are certain guidelines as to what type of cup and saucer you should use for this. and, yes, a saucer is also required.

AJ

that is beautiful and how fun to have it from a family member.

I'm working on tea leaf reading and my limited experience is that round bottom cups work best. You use loose tea, and once the liquid is drank you swish the residue and flip the cup over on the saucer. Then if you are lucky and have signs on the inside of the cup you can read it...sort of like Lillie is doing on her alethometer thread.

If there is too much liquid left the dregs end up on the saucer. I haven't read this anywhere but I suppose you could read them as reversals ;)

BlackRoseIvy gave me my set-up, I just love it.
In one of the Harry Potter movies there is a great tea leaf reading section in Divination class.

celticnoodle

AJ said:
that is beautiful and how fun to have it from a family member.

I'm working on tea leaf reading and my limited experience is that round bottom cups work best. You use loose tea, and once the liquid is drank you swish the residue and flip the cup over on the saucer. Then if you are lucky and have signs on the inside of the cup you can read it...sort of like Lillie is doing on her alethometer thread.

If there is too much liquid left the dregs end up on the saucer. I haven't read this anywhere but I suppose you could read them as reversals ;)

BlackRoseIvy gave me my set-up, I just love it.
In one of the Harry Potter movies there is a great tea leaf reading section in Snape's class.
yes, exactly AJ! also, my grandmother read tea leaves, and always had the 'querent' turn her cup around 3 times when she had turned the cup upside down. Then, I think there is also something about not forgetting to look at any symbols that are left on the saucer as well.

there is also a timing issue with how close the symbols are to the handle of the tea cup, the top and or bottom of the cup. I cannot recall off the top of my head. I have notes and a book that I need to refer to when I do the tea leaf readings. I've only done them a few times and only with family, as it's 'not my cup of tea' really. :laugh:

Aulruna

I have got the cup from Jane Lyle's kit "The Cup of Destiny". It's a real eye-catcher, but not as colourful as yours - what a wonderful find, HeavensVault!

While the symbols and astrological signs are supposed to make reading easier, I found they interfere with my intuition and I read tea leaves (or in my case, coffee grounds) much better by simple "pattern gazing" in a plain rounded cup.

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with the cup!

gregory

I got the Jane Lyle one for Christmas. :D The next time we have tea with leaves....

Teabags have ruined the world of fortune telling :D

celticnoodle

gregory said:
I got the Jane Lyle one for Christmas. :D The next time we have tea with leaves....

Teabags have ruined the world of fortune telling :D
You are so right gregory! not to mention the taste of tea. while tea bags are very convenient, they sacrafice the true aroma and taste of the tea!