photo.FurtuneTellingCup

AJ

The main point of the saucer is so you don't splash dregs all over. You read what is left in the cup after you've swirled and flipped.

What you look for in the cup is shapes of things and then devine what that shape means to the querent
(I just pulled these samples from another site)

APPLE - computer, knowledge, achievement

AXE - difficulties; if at top overcoming of difficulties

BABY - something new, pregnancy

BALL - completion, variable fortunes

BELL - harmonics, creation, spiritual, unexpected news

Briar Rose

Very interesting. I am going to have to buy some loose tea.

memries

Now the challenge is buying loose tea here ! I finally had to go to a specialty store with things from around the world to find loose tea. Then I spent time choosing which to buy as they were very expensive.

I bought Earl Grey and Jasmine and a green tea that I cannot stand although some are good. The tea leaves make a much nicer cup of tea.

Reading tea leaves is kind of fun. I only read for close friends and tell them not to expect much as if you look in a cup and just see a clump of leaves, or empty, they think they have no future ! Crazy but true so I am careful who I read for.

I was unable to control the "seeing". When I was good I was really good and other days ..nothing.

mystic mal

Hey! Just saw this post and I have an identical one too.I picked it up in a charity shop but mine is with the saucer that is awesome.I wish I was clever enough to take a photo and put it here to show you......When I went to the Witches museum in Cornwall there was one exactly the same on show behind lock and key so what do we have here eh?

Grizabella

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
Well now I am confused by a memory.

Grandpa read grounds. Maybe tea leaves..but I do think it was coffee grounds.
Granny would fill his huge mug up. His cup was this only mug with a matching saucer. We would watch him pour coffee into that saucer and sip it out of the saucer.
We ask why and mama blew it off as to him cooling his coffee off. But that didn't make sense.

Why did he use the saucer in that fashion? I need to see if an older cousin remembers him doing it.

Interesting thread and beautiful cups!
How nice to have any of them!

:)Barb

"Saucering" was a common practice "way back when". People really did pour some of their coffee or tea into the saucer to cool it down so they could drink it. My grandpa did, for one, and other older people of his generation and older also.

memries said:
Now the challenge is buying loose tea here ! I finally had to go to a specialty store with things from around the world to find loose tea. Then I spent time choosing which to buy as they were very expensive.

Safeway and other big stores have it here. It's the same general price as any of the other teas.

Star-Willow

How cool HeavensVault! I never knew there was actual reading cups... a close friend of mine reads, she uses just ordinary cup and saucer, but she uses the same ones every time and she is pretty spot on too :)

Thanks for that ebay link AJ, I think I'll be checking that out :)

celticnoodle

yeah memries, fresh tea leaves are hard to come by. I do find mine in the Wegman stores, but they are only in NY, NJ, MD, PA & VA. However, you can google for stores online to purchase them also.

they do make a great cup of tea though. I find that I don't even like to add cream and/or as much sugar as with tea bag teas. The teas are so aromatic and potent, but not potent as strong--just full flavored. very very good.

Teacups

gregory said:
I got the Jane Lyle one for Christmas. :D The next time we have tea with leaves....

Teabags have ruined the world of fortune telling :D

OOOOOOOOOH! ! when it comes to tea, that's my area of expertise! I collect teacups and tea and I love anything tea-related.

I do not own this company, but I buy from here all the time and I can vouch for it personally-- online, fresh and great price ------ best part is .........(drumroll please)

ACTUAL LEAVES!

ok, if it's ok to do so, I'll tell you where --- to further the noble art of tesseomancy...

www.enjoyingtea.com Their Russian Earl Grey is FABULOUS!

btw, there's a gal on ebay that paints her own reading-cups, and they sell for a ton of money. They're all OOAK, which is cool. And some of the antique tesseomancy cups also go for a fortune. Seems they're quite collectible. Although, I do believe you can read from any cup & saucer, am I right? That's why I was perusing this forum, because I was wondering if there was a leaf-reading thread....

Found a link to a book in Amazon, and read the review--very knowledgeable (unlike a LOT of amazon reviews)

www.amazon.com/Cup-Destiny-Jane-Lyle/dp/1859060617/ref=pd_sim_b_title_3

Yurikome

About loose tea -
I personally find that tea leaves are often too heavy and won't cling to the cup's walls (maybe that's a problem with my cup? hmmm...) Anyway, what does work, and rather well, is just cutting open a tea bag and brewing the tea with the little ground tidbits from inside. It might not look impressive if you just pull apart a tea bag in front of a client (depends what image you're striving for ;)) but they read pretty darn well.
Just my 2 cents :)

Teacups

Yurikome said:
About loose tea -
I personally find that tea leaves are often too heavy and won't cling to the cup's walls (maybe that's a problem with my cup? hmmm...) Anyway, what does work, and rather well, is just cutting open a tea bag and brewing the tea with the little ground tidbits from inside. It might not look impressive if you just pull apart a tea bag in front of a client (depends what image you're striving for ;)) but they read pretty darn well.
Just my 2 cents :)

that's a VERY good point.

However, I would not want to cut open a teabag...for several reasons. First, the tea they put into the bag is almost dust. You want it in the bottom of the cup, but that is no use if you just end up consuming the bits.

There was a time, not so long ago, when there was no such thing as a bag. You can still find loose leaf tea, just look a little harder. Almost any company that makes tea makes a choice between loose and bagged, but the corner grocer mostly carries bags. Although modern convenience requires a bag, the tea companies get off the hook a little about what they put into it, since the consumer never gets to actually LOOK at the tea, once it's sealed inside. The loose leaf version of *any brand you care to mention* is ALWAYS a better quality than the bagged version.

High volume sellers, such as Twinings, Lipton, PG Tips, DJ Miles, have the finest grains of loose leaf. That should make it easily obtainable for anyone wishing to use it for divination. As a tea enthusiast, I would urge everyone to immediately switch to loose leaf, but then you absolutely must have an infuser. And since I own several, let me impart the wisdom of experience... the mesh (fine wire) ones that fit down into the opening of the pot and just hang there--like an open cup-- are the best. The mesh holds the fines and fannings (aka dust) best. The hardest to deal with are the little ball that closes with a hinge--no wonder tea isn't so popular in the US, who'd wanna deal with that more than just occasionally? what a mess. Also, the bodum yo-yo is expensive and heavily hyped--don't waste your $$. The solid metal with punched holes-type of infuser lets waaaaaaaaay too many bits float in the tea..... hey wait...... oh, that's what we were trying to achieve though, isn't it? oh. well, it stinks for daily use, but it might have great potential for divinitory use!!!

Of course, you CAN just dump loose leaves into the pot and pour on boiling water...but unless you also wait 2-3 minutes then remove the tea, pour it through a strainer into another vessel you run the risk of over-infusing and making it bitter. That's actually what the Chines DO in the gongfu tea ritual. They put leaves into a teeeeensy little pot, pour the water on, wait, pour the tea out of the pot, through a strainer, into a little pitcher then distribute the tea...but I digress. So, if you want leaves floating in the tea to read with, you want to be sure that you only make a small quantity, small pot or single mug since it will over infuse and be bitter if you end up with too much. I guess you could just hurry through the drinking to get to the reading, but I believe that would be missing the some of the point, don't you?