Rune book recommendations?

NikkiB

Hi

A couple of my Tarot decks have Runes on them and I am looking for a good rune book so that I can get the most out of them, what would people suggest?

Thank you!
Nic

talamh_sidhe

I really like Taking Up the Runes by Diana Paxson - it's my rune bible. If you're looking for an intro book this might be a little overkill however. I think she did a more "compact" book at one point but the name escapes me. I also like the Rune Workbook by Leon Wild.
If you're okay with esoteric, Edred Thorsson has written quite a bit about the runes. Some of his stuff gets pretty studious, but that just comes with runes, I think.

I'd advise against reading anything by Ralph Blum. He has theories on runes that are not widely recognized in the community. For example, he added a 25th "blank" rune. Unfortunately his books are the most widely distributed (probably because they didn't sound like a thesis paper like most other books).

Which deck do you have? Some tarot decks use German variations of the elder futhark, which confused me a lot at first. I'm always interested in more tarot/rune crossovers. :)

Le Fanu

You can't go wrong with this one. Dead cheap on amazon uk and - of course - there will always be better ones but as an introduction and to enable you to get started, this is a good little book!

lark

Le Fanu said:
You can't go wrong with this one. Dead cheap on amazon uk and - of course - there will always be better ones but as an introduction and to enable you to get started, this is a good little book!
I like that one a lot too..it was my first Rune book.
I also really like this one...
http://www.tarahill.com/books.html
I bought it with my rune set from Tara Hill.
I like that for each Rune she explains the Rune where it came from what it means, and at the bottom she has Divinatory meaning for each Rune.
I've been meaning to get Diana Paxsons book...have to look into that.

NikkiB

Brilliant thank you :) I will hit amazon later...

I have the pearls of wisdom which has runes on a lot of the cards and another deck I can't remember! But I will have a look! The extra information has been really useful in the readings I've done with this deck. I'm quite tempted to get a rune set as well :)

Thanks again!

faunabay

I'm taking notes too! :D Since I'm still in the beginner stages with my runes I'm always up for more rune books.

Le Fanu

My local shop has the Paxson book mentioned in the 2nd post. Looks substantial and I'm in two minds.

To be honest though, I've never made much progress with runes. The book I recommended was sound :D, it's not that. I have read a few books, it's just that runes continue forever lifeless for me...

IheartTarot

Le Fanu said:

I would also suggest you try Peschel's intro first which is very cheap and if you are interested in studying runes further then look into some other books.

I have just been through the whole process of reading all the rune book recommendations I can find in this forum and elsewhere and this is the shortlist I came up with, from basic beginner level to Paxson's more comprehensive book based on a rune study group she coordinated:

1) Practical Guide to the Runes by Lisa Peschel (cheap basic beginner book)
2) The Serpent and the Eagle by Chris Travers (the ONLY rune book Umbrae currently recommends)
3) The Rune Primer by Sweyn Plowright
4) Taking Up the Runes by Diana Paxson

I have also ordered The Runic Tarot deck and book kit by Smith and Astrop (the creators of the Oracle of the Radiant Sun) because I like the artwork and the book looks quite useful too in respect of the "major arcana" = 24 runes part, not sure about the rest. It is not a Tarot deck.

I have steered away from anything too heavy (Thorsson, Aswynn), not very practical (Pennick), or by Ralph Blum (not well respected at all in the serious runic community although he is credited for reviving the interest in runes).

Travers and Plowright seem to be the latest generation of experts and their books are fairly newly published. There are some interesting lively exchanges between them on amazon. They may not agree on everything and Sweyn comes across quite obnoxious but they both seem to be improving the standard of available rune literature. I think it would be good to read both books to get a balanced view (they are not very expensive).

If I am not mistaken, I think Peschel and Paxson may have a slight Wiccan bias while the other two are more purists.

lark said:
I also really like this one...
http://www.tarahill.com/books.html
I bought it with my rune set from Tara Hill.
I like that for each Rune she explains the Rune where it came from what it means, and at the bottom she has Divinatory meaning for each Rune.
I've been meaning to get Diana Paxsons book...have to look into that.

I must still check this one out lark, I remember you recommended it elsewhere and I do trust your judgement. :)

Book Depository is cheapest for me (with free shipping worldwide), they rock! :thumbsup:

P.S. All these books are based on the Elder Futhark system of runes which is the most common rune system currently used for divination.

Le Fanu

I heard that the Smith & Astrop Runic Tarot is coniderably "off" in its attributions and understanding of runes. It was something I have come across here, and which I have seen repeated so I don't know if that is the case. As with everything, I should really look into it myself!