Runes, what do they do, and some history.

Milfoil

This is very interesting. What you say einhverfr, corrolates very closely to ancient Huna use of language. Often there are several, even dozens of different meanings for words so that a single phrase can carry many meanings, magical, spiritual, metaphorical, sexual, literal etc and all together, they come to a whole which is only truly understood by someone from that culture, speaking that language and knowing of the deeper meanings.

The one thing that put me off really understanding and being able to use the Elder Futhark is the dawning realisation that without learning the language, culture, poetry etc, I was always going to be one step behind or outside the full knowledge contained in this system.

I imagine that all magical alphabets around the world were initially based upon primeval sounds (Ohm for example in the East) and went on from there. evolving into words and phrases. Understanding all that history and its cultural associations are necessary to really start to comprehend what the Fulthark can mean.

Ange

So....it is the ones made my Canid, and not the 'proper' ones that I would like then.....not that there is anything wrong with the others.......:)

It's the stones that correspond with the Majors...:)

Ang x

Umbrae

Ange said:
It's the stones that correspond with the Majors...:)
Stones? Since when? Correspond?

Runes are runes. They should be on wood but modern 'Shopping Mall' spirtualists use stones.

If you correspond Futhark Runes to Tarot, you're inventing something.

Non-Futhark Runes are also a modern invention (and a bastardization of the word 'Rune').

they are not another 'magical alphabet'

In the thesis post we are asked 'what do they do?'

Well, some have found them to be far more oracualer in nature than Tarot. I myself believe that I'm still alive because of their oracular nature. But that's just me...

einhverfr

First on Huna, etc. One thing I would point out is that societies which are primarily oral think differently than those which are primarily literate. "Orality and Literacy" by Walter Ong (a Jesuit no less!) is probably the best book on this subject.

Secondly on the material of the lots, the oldest sources suggest specific types of wood (fruit-bearing trees) would have been used. (It is probable, given the dates, that Tacitus's account involved the use of the Elder Futhark.)

However, I am a little more tolerant of the use of stone than most traditionalists. Runes were stamped on bracteates (metal), and carved in stones for a variety of (non-divinatory) uses. I suspect most of the metal objects were made as amulets. For stones, you have some which are clearly magical (GIBU AUJA: I give Good Luck), as well as adminitions not to disturb a stone, or memorials to those who have passed on.

Futhermore, there is an odd connection (not found in surviving Germanic poetry) between trees and rocks in some Indo-European poetic traditions. This is found in Homer's works (Oak, *dru, and Rock), as well as in the Avestas (Tree, *dru, and Rock) from early Zoroastrianism. While we don't see this formula in surviving Germanic works, it is not too much of a stretch to apply it, IMO. In both cases, "From Tree and Rock" seems to suggest "True to appearances" or "Enduring truth."

This being said, there are valid cosmological reasons to choose wood over stone. After all, the Tree is a model for the human, the society, and the world.

cardlady22

I don't think that anyone is disputing that canid's new oracle/set of stones is her own invention. But, if you were specifically looking for her threads showing pics & offering them, the titles are:
angel/tarot runes (in Divination)
Tarot Stones (in Advertisements)

Sorry if the use of terminology is keeping that going. :)

einhverfr

Umbrae:

You know, Runestones. Like the ones that read:

This stone was raised in memory of Astrid, the most skillfull girl in all Halogaland!

Sophie

I find it confusing to give new oracles that have no connection with runes the name of "rune".

I am still very shaky in my knowledge of Runes, and nowhere near as adept as either Umbrae or einhverfr, but even at my level I have found runes excellent for casting an oracle - blunt but sure guides. I love the link to mythology - whatever I can find out - and the different levels of meaning (as a result I have been reading what einhverfr wrote above with great interest; and also would recommend the Rune threads on this forum: a whole study of the Elder Futhark, one by one).

einhverfr

On Runestones and Major Arcana.....

Actually, I was thinking of the one which said:

Gunnvor, Thryk's Daughter, built a bridge in memory of her daughter, Astrid. She was the most skillful girl in all Hadeland.

Maybe this runestone would correspond with The High Priestess? ;-)

Umbrae

einhverfr said:
Umbrae:

You know, Runestones. Like the ones that read:

This stone was raised in memory of Astrid, the most skillfull girl in all Halogaland!
ROFLMAO Too funny...
Fudugazi said:
I find it confusing to give new oracles that have no connection with runes the name of "rune".
On one hand its marketing. Blum proved that if you call something a Rune - you can sell it. (Drive the new Ford Rune Pickup!)

On the other, it's pure ignorance. It is akin to saying that "Onomatopoeia" is a word that means that a car ran off a bridge. If you're going to invent a new usage for a word, understand the word!

One cannot defenestrate meanings...

I remember I caught hell because I responded to a rune post only to be told, "Oh NO, she was talking about 'Witches Runes'. WHAT??? They only added the word Witches AFTER I caught hell!

All I could do was shake my head and mutter, "Idiots...learn to speak...learn to communicate."

ETA
Ange said:
How do you use them?

What do the symbols mean?

Do you read them as with Tarot cards?

Ang x
Here's the link to the study group: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15597

HearthCricket

Excellent link, Umbrae. Thank you for this!